XeniaFonkArt
Inspiration Seeker

My bank account was changed without my knowledge.

My bank account was changed without my knowledge. I received a message at night that my account had been updated. I logged into my account and it was indeed true. A new account at my same bank, but completely different.

I have two-factor authentication enabled, I never click on any links, my phone is always with me, and in general, I take internet security very seriously. I have never had any security issues with other apps or websites, except for Etsy.

Exactly a year ago, I had the same problem, and my account was changed. While I was corresponding with tech support, about $1,800 disappeared from my account. Etsy just sent it to an unknown account in the bank. Tech support simply stopped responding to all subsequent messages. I have already resigned myself to this loss. And now, a year later, it's happening again. This time at least I received a message that the account was updated, last time there was no such message, and I didn't even know that the account had been changed.

Does anyone have any ideas how this could have happened? Could the account have been changed in some other way, without hacking my account?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
20 Replies
TheHomespunLoft
Conversation Maker

Re: My bank account was changed without my knowledge.

@XeniaFonkArt 

Call your bank and get things fixed immediately.  The web site of your bank should have a fraud dept link.

Yes- sounds like you got hacked..

3 Likes
XeniaFonkArt
Inspiration Seeker

My bank is not involved in this matter. The bank account was changed in the Etsy account.

0 Likes

Push out your deposit schedule as far as you can IMMEDIATELY.

This way the hackers won’t get the money immediately.

Use a completely different device than you usually do to change all of your passwords.

1 Like
XeniaFonkArt
Inspiration Seeker

Yes, I have already set the payments to occur once a month. Regardless, even if I don't manage to revert my account in time, I will simply invest all the money into advertising.

0 Likes

In finances, change your expiry date on your card to yesterday's date. This way your card on file will no longer be valid. Etsy will not transfer funds when the card is invalid in the billing section. 

Once your account has been secured, you can add the valid card details 

6 Likes
DragonflyDreams1
Conversation Maker

Ooooooo, this makes me nervous. Once upon a time Etsy suspended my account because my card expired. I would not chance the loss of my Etsy shop.

0 Likes

@DragonflyDreams1 

they only suspend it, if you owe them money, and they try to collect from your card, which is not valid.

This person has a load of money on etsy, they don't want transferred to a fraudster

1 Like
DragonflyDreams1
Conversation Maker

And what if they spend it on advertising and then have a forced refund? Suspension. Or an item automatically renews the last day of the month and Etsy tries to process payment? I think it is a risky suggestion if they value their Etsy shop. Perhaps as a last resort. If they can't get this sorted before the deposit is sent, but I wouldn't do it until forced into it.

0 Likes
PinkBirdCottage
Conversation Maker

When a bank account gets changed I thought it needed to be verified via plaid?  The fact a year ago you were talking to Etsy support when another incident happened makes me think it was hackers not support for sure. 

0 Likes
XeniaFonkArt
Inspiration Seeker

The situation appears quite perplexing. Last year, there was no notification regarding the change of the bank account details, nor was there any verification process. I was completely unaware of the alteration in the account details. Consequently, the funds were transferred to an unknown account. Subsequently, the technical support team unlinked the account, allowing me to reattach the original one. Only then did I start receiving emails and was required to undergo a verification process.

0 Likes

Betreff: My bank account was changed without my knowledge.

Our etsy account was hacked in December, 27th. Fortunately, the access was blocked by etsy. Also we weren’t able to log in. We were told by an employee of Etsy to carry out verification to get the account back. After we were able to log back into our shop, we noticed that a different name had been entered as shop owner!
Under "legal and tax information“ it’s the correct name, but when I click on "edit" it says under "Primary tax number" => "Full official name" => there's that hackers name!

and this is wrong and cannot be edited/changed!

When we were hacked, the hacker wanted to do a name change. We also received an email from Etsy about this.

Now we want to change the name back to my name as I am the official shop owner. Etsy still wants to verify our official name to get the income, but it’s not possible as long as that other guy is listed!

And etsy support can't help. they always send the standard mail where to change name - but we CAN´T!!!

we have 30 days left otherwise they freeze our shop - and our money!

0 Likes

this sounds like a man-in-the-middle attack - which means you are using unsecure wifi 

If you go to where you set up 2FA, there are people who have logged in, if anyone is not you, log them out, if there is no-one that isn't you, it's M-I-M.

If you change the date on your BILLING section on your card to today, etsy will not deposit any money, after tomorrow, until you change it back.

make sure you always use secure internet connections.

2 Likes
ZenCatPottery
Conversation Maker

I agree with @CraftyCornishMaids.  Are you sure your wi-fi is secure?

1 Like

@CraftyCornishMaids @ZenCatPottery 

When a seller is out and about, using random available wifi on the go and conducting Etsy business, does this open the seller to such security breaches? 

0 Likes

Some public wifi will be secure, some won't be

It is more likely the public wifi is the problem, than your home one.

1 Like
ZenCatPottery
Conversation Maker

@FallenAngelBrass   More likely than not.  Anyone in the area can use public wi-fi and intercept data.  Just like you’re not supposed to let a site save your data if you’re on a public computer (ie, the library, hotel business center, etc).
If ‘m doing Etsy business (or anything that involves money) when I’m out & about, I always turn wi-fi off.  This insures that my phone won’t use a public wi-fi (ie Starbucks, hotels, airports, stores, etc), but will use my cellular data instead (which Is for sure secure).

It’s best to NOT use any public wi-fi for anything involving money or where you have an account that you log in to.  Just shut wi-fi off & use your cellular data

2 Likes

I’ve received the same e mail. My expiration date for my credit card was updated.

1 Like
TheHomespunLoft
Conversation Maker

Agree with @ZenCatPottery 

I NEVER use public wifi and just use my cell data when out and about. I was told it was a lot safer that way.

1 Like

If this happened before, you probably have a key logger on whatever device you are using, so they can get your new passwords when you type them in. Contact the bank for the fraudulent account IMMEDIATELY and tell them you did not open this account. Your best bet is to shut it down at the bank involved. Worse case scenario, the account is closed, and the payment gets sent back to Etsy.

If you change the date to make your credit card invalid, and you have money in your Etsy account, any charges you incur on Etsy should just get taken from your account, so I don't see that as a problem. Even if your store got temporarily suspended, they would reinstate it as soon as you pay the bill. That's better than letting a large chunk of money get stolen, IMO.

0 Likes
TheHomespunLoft
Conversation Maker

@XeniaFonkArt 

You said the new account is in the Same exact bank as you use. ("A new account at my same bank, but completely different")... then your bank can tell you who opened the acct and who is trying to steal your money and you can then get the police involved. You keep saying it is not a bank problem-- when clearly it is.. Sorry- but something seems off to me about this whole thing, like part of the story is missing. I would follow the advice given here by others and think about putting your shop on Vacation mode until this is fixed.

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.