wyogems
Crafty Poster

Many of my items are not coming up in search

When I search in general search they are not there. But more importantly when I search my store they don't show up. Something is terribly wrong with Etsy. This has been going on for a long time. Two examples, I search my shop for Patra only one dress comes up but the other does not. When I search my shop for Claralura the dresses I have do not come up. This is just two examples there are more. Why won't Etsy fix this problem. I feel ripped off and no help coming. What are we paying for?

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
20 Replies

Re: Many of my items are not coming up in search

I can find you shop in search. When I search some of your titles for your listings even with 1 or 2 pages of results, your listings are not among them

1 Like
wyogems
Crafty Poster

I know. I am so disappointed in Etsy. Star seller but no visibility

2 Likes

Sounds like a shadow ban for certain word combos. Does the missing Patra listing have the word "sexy" or something similar in it? Could you please link to the missing Patra so we can see what the issue might be? 

The first item that comes up for "sexy" in your shop has Claralura in the title, and it comes up for "sexy Claralura"  https://www.etsy.com/shop/wyogems?search_query=sexy+Claralura so I think this is probably part of the problem. 

5 Likes
wyogems
Crafty Poster

so don't use the word sexy in my listings is that it?

If so you have already been more help than Etsy support.

2 Likes
wyogems
Crafty Poster

so don't use the word sexy?

2 Likes
michellepatterns
Conversation Maker

Yes, do not use that word or etsy will limit your visibility.

1 Like
Natalya1905
Conversation Maker

You may want to check this article for some of the keywords that are questionable for Etsy bots:

Listing Mature Content Correctly 

2 Likes
wyogems
Crafty Poster

Reading that link I would have never known that the word sexy would take me out of search. They need to just come out and say that. 

1 Like
wyogems
Crafty Poster

There are no words on that link that I can see at least not any I would use to sell clothing

0 Likes
wyogems
Crafty Poster

I think you are right I just took the word sexy out of all my listings and now they show up in my shop. Thank you. You were more help than Etsy support. 

4 Likes

@wyogems You might have a problem with the ''Zaftique Plus Size Lingerie Set'' listing due to the word 'nude'.

2 Likes

@wyogems you are welcome! 

There is no public list of banned words, but I collected some of them in a Tumblr post last year. I will copy from that because I can't post the link:

"Here’s exactly how Etsy describes this “mature content classifier”, a new site feature:

“…in 2022, we developed a mature content classifier which identifies potentially mature listings using text and image recognition. Using this technology, we work to keep these kinds of items from being displayed to users who aren’t looking for them, while still allowing those who are to find them. While no technology is perfect and we may sometimes get it wrong, we’ve seen a 17% decrease in flags of mature content from our member community since adding this classifier to our search experience.” [my emphasis]

This comes as no surprise to many sellers of both “mature” and non-mature items, as there have been many reports of items that are no longer searchable for many (if not most) words in their titles. For example, an affected listing will show up for a search that includes the shadow-banned words, but not other searches. Words and phrases that can trigger this issue include:

I am sure you can imagine many others! (but these are ones sellers have discovered and discussed publicly). For most of them, it makes no sense for Etsy to remove the item from all searches except those containing the offending word/s, since many of the words can be used innocently. “Nude” can be a colour, for example. 

The most bizarre so far is the dog diaper listing, which was affected not only by the words “menstrual” and “panties” but also the lead image of a toy dog wearing the garment. Switching up the photos so the toy was not the lead made the item searchable again. 

If your items are not at all mature and should not be classified as such by Etsy, contacting Support may help you get them restored, although many cannot even get a straight explanation from Etsy on this point. For some shops, removing the offending word from the title but keeping it in the tags may restore searchability, as can changing the first photo."

The Etsy quote comes from here: https://storage.googleapis.com/etsy-extfiles-prod/Press/Etsy_2022_Transparency_Report.pdf

6 Likes
Natalya1905
Conversation Maker

@cindylouwho2 

Do you think the word "adult" can cause similar issues? As a general size description for clothes and accessories? Thank you!

1 Like

@Natalya1905 I am not sure. I don't think I have seen that one reported. It would likely depend on the other words in the listing and the photos. 

2 Likes
wyogems
Crafty Poster

Reading that I would never know that the word sexy was shadow banned. Would be helpful if they just came out and said it. 

0 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

yes i had to remove words from my listings too.

sexy... nude...whip...and other shops had to remove the word harness...

i know there is more.

i just cannot remember them now.

3 Likes

There are a LOT.

Many involve illegal weapons or dangerous drugs.

But don't worry... if you use "panties" the search engine helpfully suggests "pannies"... a common work around term for the sex workers selling used underwear with your choice of time worn and stains.

4 Likes
LastCentury
Community Maker

from experience don't bother with naughty or saucy either. 

So many words can be hit or miss especially when used in context with other words that might push them into the blue area. 

edited to add... like cheeky!

3 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

it is important to note that.

if you are selling.. a bra.

and you want to be shown for bras.

do not use a shadow-banned word.

if you want to use the word sexy...and bra...

you WILL appear for sexy bra in search.

but you will not appear if someone is just searching for a bra.

does that make sense.

i just read it and confused myself... lol

someone needs to explain it better.

3 Likes
LastCentury
Community Maker

yep... that's exactly how it works.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.