RoseManorVintage
Inspiration Seeker

Item Descriptions no longer in a logical place on listings

With the new format, the item descriptions are now in a spot that doesn't seem correct or at the very least, doesn't make sense. The descriptions which are the most important part of the listing (as they contain measurements, flaws on vintage items, etc.) are now all the way at the very bottom of the listing below several customer reviews and pictures people have posted in reviews.  Most casual buyers on Etsy are not going to know to scroll ALL the way down to be able to easily see/find the description so they will either assume the seller didn't post important info and move on OR they will buy the item based on the pictures and limited information they can see and they will have potentially missed very important information resulting in a possible unhappy customer/return. I hope this is fixed soon.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
11 Likes
16 Replies

Re: Item Descriptions no longer in a logical place on listings

This is a test, not every user will see this awful format. Hopefully this test gets canned soon.

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/Product-Descriptions-at-Bottom-of-Page/td-p/1428776...

7 Likes
Fizzybuckets
Inspiration Seeker

Totally agree! Even I can’t find my own description when I want to check soimething. Let alone shoppers!…… 

8 Likes
BezelsandBeyond
Conversation Maker

JUST noticed this hot mess!  While looking at clothing, I was about to contact the seller to tell them it would be nice to have some sort of description/measurements.  Then, I started to pop into other shops and noticed there were no descriptions.  Went into my shop and FINALLY found them when I scrolled down.  What are they doing under reviews?!!!  I'd love to meet the genius who made this bright decision. 

11 Likes

I have to agree, I hope it's fixed soon. 

6 Likes

Thank you for your post. I agree. The [ITEM DESCRIPTION] should be followed by the reviews. This new layout smacks of having been designed by some bigwig's not too talented nephew.

6 Likes
KeepersOfTime
Inspiration Seeker

So apparently I am in this test mode. This is horrible. I also cannot even find my own descriptions. How can this abomination STILL be in test mode?? I am about to shut down my listings until this ends. This is shameful and makes US look like we don't know what we are doing!!!

2 Likes
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

I just cleared my cache & cookies & now I am seeing this "Test" It is SO BAD. I had to hunt for the description and where the seller was shipping from.

3 Likes
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

Chat says "It will give buyers a better experience because it is all in one column." They are ONLY thinking about cellphones.

1 Like
KeepersOfTime
Inspiration Seeker

Chat told me the same: Keeps things in one column, AND keeps the  "add to cart" visible at all times. Thats fine, BUT- you can still MOVE THE ITEM DESCRIPTIONS UP ABOVE THE REVIEWS! PUT THEM DIRECTLY BELOW THE IMAGES AND TITLE OF THE ITEMS WHERE THEY LOGICALLY SHOULD BE AND NEED TO BE. 

3 Likes

@CuriousityShop: If that is the "official and correct answer" then it shows lazy programming by not adapting the layout to the size of the display - particularly since there are so many layout tools baked into browsers these days.

3 Likes
KeepersOfTime
Inspiration Seeker

Obviously it can still be in one column with the DESCRIPTIONS PLACED BEFORE THE REVIEWS.

Etsy obviously keeps using web techs who oversee sites selling common everyday household products vs unique gifts.  Why do they still listen to these people?? 

2 Likes
TwiLdCapitHog
Conversation Maker

I am contemplating adding variations, except I cannot think of a polite way of asking if buyers read the description or not. Bearing in mind some will still see it in the original place. 

I am sure this move will suit resellers down to the ground, who have very little to say about their products.

0 Likes

Looks like they are copying feEbay.

1 Like

Right. And shopping on eBay is very annoying.

1 Like

Right. And shopping on eBay is very annoying because of that layout.

0 Likes

This is the dumbest thing Etsy has ever done.  My descriptions are now below my reviews.  What are the chances that customers are going to scroll down my page to find my description.  I'm guessing not very good.  I don't recall anything in the TOU's saying that by choosing to sell on this platform I give Etsy permission to go into my shop and rearrange it at will .  It's time for Etsy to back off and let us run our businesses.  

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.