Huge downturn since Etsy automatically updated delivery service settings

Good afternoon all. I hope you're having a great weekend.

Having had growing concerns with the extremely rapid drop in sales in the last few months I've been doing some investigation into the possible reasons on my store. 

Having looked through erank and checked my listings, key words etc but thought I would compare monthly sales by region. I note that usually my sales to the US (I'm a UK seller) account for roughly 40% of my gross turnover ($) every month for the last 4 years. 

However, for the last 2 - 3 months this has sharply declined to around 13%. Which is a huge drop and is absolutely the reason for my stores low sales figures. As my sales to other regions seem to have a similar revenue to before.

I have 2 possible reasons, either the US market has genuinely declined and I am aware that somebody said tax returns are due soon too (however, this wouldn't account for my US sales being 27% down on the same period last year). 

Alternatively I have noticed that this sharp decline seems to correlate to the same timeframe that Etsy decided to automate our shipping preferences for us. If you recall in late 2023 Etsy decided it knows best and what shipping methods we use and automatically altered our shipping methods. Especially those of us that used the "Other courier" option. 

I have updated my shipping methods to best reflect my store processing times and delivery schedules but I can't help but feel this has had an impact on my store. It seems far too linked in timing to just be a coincidence. Especially for a store that has consistent monthly sales for 4 years to suddenly grind to a halt.

I would be interested in your options on this as I know some of you are very analytical in your approach to your stores?

Thanks in advance

*Edit - what I forgot to include is that I wonder if Etsy are now actively penalising those of us that don't offer free US delivery guarantee and dropping our search ranking for US buyers. I personally can't offer free delivery as the cost of delivery can sometimes exceed the price of the items.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
4 Likes
16 Replies

Re: Huge downturn since Etsy automatically updated delivery service settings

I didn’t realize they did that. I remember when we got that survey every time I listed something new and wondered what their plan was. Now I am getting complaints lately because I am not shipping it out fast enough. I sell vintage glass. It’s not surgery tools. This is ridiculous. I have mine set at 10 days because I also work full time. I feel your pain. 

2 Likes

I don't think any of your assumptions are correct.  The forum is full of different reasons why sales have tanked and people often attribute it to random events that can't possibly be the reason.  The only downside to not offering free shipping is you won't feature if someone clicks the Free Shipping filter and Etsy doesn't penalise shops who don't offer it.  Downturns are not necessarily personal to your own circumstances but external issues like Etsy faffing around with things, the new gift mode, the economy etc etc. 

Etsy has this article about low sales which might have some useful info: What to Do If You Notice a Drop in Sales – Etsy

5 Likes

Ok so perhaps it isn't to do with the shipping details. But there defiantly is something going on with localisation. 

How can my store drop on average over 4 years from 40% of my sales going to the US to 13%?

Looking at my analytics there are just no US buyers even visiting my store. I don't think I've had a single US purchase in 2 weeks. Which I would normally expect 2-5 a day.

I don't see how you can say that my assumptions aren't correct. Yet something that has been consistent for such a long period of time just completely stop.

Etsy are messing around and unfortunately screwing people over and their livelihood. 

Though I understand them being on their high horse and stating it's cutting carbon footprint its actually not in Etsy's interest regarding profits to screw over foreign sellers. As we have to charge a little more for shipping obviously. They take a 5% cut of all shipping so actually Etsy would generate more fees from overseas sellers. 

No doubt they will see this in their quarterly report. 

3 Likes

I think Etsy said ´localisationˋ (local sales pushed in favour of global sales) was going to be pushed last Christmas.  I noticed it personally starting in October, and on vpn I can see that I definitely rank much lower in the US than before. That said the U.S. remains >80% of my sales as a reflection of what I sell being less popular in the uk, worse economy here etc. But at a much lower rate than before. I also have a lot of repeat US buyers which helps. 

If you can occupy a global niche that will definitely help. Easier said than done.

Some naysayers will turn up shortly to poo poo the idea of localisation (or the technical details of how it happens and what it should be called, SMH) but the fact is a lot of UK sellers believe it happens…

6 Likes

I am a US seller experiencing similar issues that I can indeed tie to "localization". Etsy is showing shops t

2 Likes

My sales leaving the US has tanked, along with sales inside the US.  I'd say about 2-3 weeks ago it had come to a pretty abrupt stop.  Nothing like it I've seen since 2010.

5 Likes

Soon after 'messaging' was taken away, so went the sales too.

Something has gotten jumbled up I think... bad algorithm?

1 Like

Same here. Sales just stopped around the gift mode time. How can you even operate a business in such on and off conditions? 

Imagine running a  brick and mortar store and suddenly some council people turn up to drape a massive "CLOSED" banner over your storefront. You're left hoping a gust of wind might remove it, only for them to randomly return and replace it with another one. 

6 Likes

I can't see how the delivery change would negatively affect anything from a buyer perspective, etsy made our delivery times quicker, so it would encourage sales.

Etsy does have an estimated delivery filter search for USA, for delivery by ..........

when I pick 22nd April, mine doesn't show in search, even though the estimated date when you click through on the listing is 13th - 20th
@cindylouwho2  have you noticed this? 

It would depend if a lot of people are using filters, which historically they have not ... my sales to USA are holding up, and my postage charge is about 75% of my item price

0 Likes

@CraftyCornishMaids the delivery date filter has always been faulty. 

Now that Etsy mentions shipping in their recommendations algorithm, we can assume shipping times are more than just filters and buyer preferences around here. 

"I wonder if Etsy are now actively penalising those of us that don't offer free US delivery guarantee and dropping our search ranking for US buyers" To answer @NewEnglandDesignsUK's question, shipping price has also been part of the search and other algorithms for years now, but you usually do not see much effect unless your shipping prices are much higher than average. (I have tested this)

I am in Canada, but nearly 100% of my sales are to the US, despite charging about twice as much for shipping as US sellers, and having slow Canada Post transit times. 

1 Like

@cindylouwho2 

I have never tried iy before, as it doesn't appear for UK buyers.

I might play around with changing shippers to Royal Mail

1 Like

I have been here since 2013 and I have never seen it this bad. It feels like they turned some switch and sales dropped off. So sad!! 

4 Likes

I think all the pop-up-gone-haywire is driving away buyers.

3 Likes

I don’t have any information about sales overseas but I sell primarily in the US and I have been selling for 4 years each year better than the one befor until 2024. As far as the shipping issue I don’t think that’s affected me but my sales are down 25% from last year at the same time. I’m not sure what to attribute it to either . The economy in my opinion has been worse and my sales were unphased . I think part of it may be related to the slow spring we’re having . People buy more during the summer months. It’s been very wet and cold leading into April. I hope things improve for you. Best wishes. 

1 Like

I had my first sale in weeks yesterday the 28th of April. (Sunday) I went to print out the label and I see this.

Estimated delivery Apr 30-May 6 May arrive late (Buyer expects Apr 30-May 4)

Now it wont ship until tomorrow (Monday) and the Buyer expects it April 30th? (Tuesday) Impossible.

The buyer selected USPS Ground Advantage (Etsy still is calling it First Class).

Why is the buyer expecting it so early? Did Etsy tell them they could get it to them earlier?

This is another what and why issue for me along with why I dont have sales like I did in 2022 until the search engine here went weirdo in 2023.

2 Likes

@DougsVintageStore: We don't use Etsy labels, but based on other posts in this forum this appears to be a user interface glitch based on a faulty calculation. Etsy's expected delivery date range always seems to start with the "next" possible delivery date regardless of the actual in-transit estimate from the shipping courier.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.