OfMothandMyth
Inspiration Seeker

Handmade?

Jump to solution

Someone reached out to me about one of my listings.

They said [This content has been removed by Moderation. We ask that you please review Section 1, Item 2 of our Community Policies before posting in the Forums.]

The item is sand inside a vial. I buy the vials and the sand and put everything together then sell. So it’s like curio/oddity jar item. 

im really not sure how to respond to this person who sent me a message to critique this listing and now im confused about how to list my item as supply or handmade. I don’t feel like im supplying an actual “supply”

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Handmade?

Jump to solution

Just reply with the correct sizing/weight and thank them for their input.  Then don't change a thing.  If you have bought the components and then altered them, that counts as handmade.  If your item is intended as decorative, then it's handmade.   If you were selling an empty vial, it would be a supply, or if your intention was for the sand to be removed and used for another purpose, then the sand would be a supply and the vial a way of packaging it.  It looks like your item is in several baskets so I would advise just leaving your listing as it is.

View solution in original post

2 Likes
13 Replies
EtchedinTimeLLC
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

That is handmade.

1 Like
Vintorious
Community Maker

Jump to solution

The listing says that it can be used as for jewelry making, which may be what they intend to do with it. I can see why they might think it is not a finished product, if that is what they are planning.  I can also understand why you are calling it "homemade." Maybe you need to work on the description to make it clear that this is a finished product?

2 Likes
OfMothandMyth
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thanks! I just realized that I went ahead and edited my description! Thanks for your input! 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Just reply with the correct sizing/weight and thank them for their input.  Then don't change a thing.  If you have bought the components and then altered them, that counts as handmade.  If your item is intended as decorative, then it's handmade.   If you were selling an empty vial, it would be a supply, or if your intention was for the sand to be removed and used for another purpose, then the sand would be a supply and the vial a way of packaging it.  It looks like your item is in several baskets so I would advise just leaving your listing as it is.

2 Likes
OfMothandMyth
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it! 

0 Likes
cutebutton
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Honestly,

If that was their exact message I probably would mark it as spam.  It sounds like someone is trying to give you unsolicited advice and to me I 100% ignore those and move on. 

5 Likes

Jump to solution

@cutebutton 

Yep, they didn't ask how much was in the vial, which is what they would do if they were interested in purchasing it. They just said the information wasn't available.

1 Like
cutebutton
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@Adorabilities 

The whole part about this should have been listed as a supply and not handmade comes across as snarky and only something someone who knows something about Etsy (another seller) would even notice. 

a real buyer would probably never bring that up. 

3 Likes
OfMothandMyth
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I agree They were not intending to purchase anything just critique. 

Thanks for the advice! 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

How I responded to this type of message would depend on if the advice was genuinely helpful and the tone.  If these things are needed I'd add them (or a part of the suggestion) which would help the listing.  Then I'd thank them and inform them I've done so.  In this case I'd view it as thoughtful help.  However, if the advice was not helpful I'd likely send it to spam and not think upon it.  And of course there are "those" days.  I hate admitting this but on these types of days I'd likely send a quick thanks or send to spam and  ignore it because unsolicited criticism may just be a bit much for the day.  

I should add, I did not read the listing.  I try to avoid popping into shops when it's not needed so I don't impact with their genuine traffic.  So this is based on how I'd handle the message.

1 Like
OfMothandMyth
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thanks for your help!! 

0 Likes
cutebutton
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@NancyQstudio 

pretty much "those" days are EVERY day for me when it comes to this. HAHAHA!

I pretty much find all unsolicited advice when it comes to my etsy shop unhelpful even if technically it was helpful HAHAHAHA.

I had a buyer one time that ordered a very large order and the started giving me random advice (not even about their order but just unrelated stuff).  I ignored it but then when they started asking me for a larger discount because they were helping me so much it was an easy no and even though they did spend some money in my shop I was like good riddance after they got upset I didn't consider them a "VIP customer" and give them the discount (they actually said this).

1 Like

Jump to solution

I usually thank them and leave it at that. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.