I work really really hard at maintaining our star seller status and it is such a disappointment that this continues to happen.  The main goal is to please the customer and if they want to pick up their item and save the shipping cost, that's what I do.  Each time I am penalized by a drop in the ranking of the star seller in the shipping category.  What happens if I get a bunch of people in my area that want to pick up?  Will I get a terrible rating even though we have done nothing wrong.  The simple answer is YES.  This is unacceptable and the improvements to Etsy should focus first on the issues that are already present instead of implementing new ideas.  Fix what isn't working first, then we will try new programs within your system. 

Re: Hand delivered item brings down my star seller status because it didn't require a tracking numbe

Jump to solution

I learned that the hard way, too.  To get around it, I still hand deliver but tell the buyer I'm going to mail them a receipt.  I use the envelope postage label option (for a business sized envelope) and it provides tracking when you purchase it.  Then you've allowed the buyer to do a pickup and satisfied Etsy's need for tracking.  

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
7 Likes

Re: Hand delivered item brings down my star seller status because it didn't require a tracking numbe

Jump to solution

That's an option only available to US sellers. The playing field is never level. 

0 Likes
MaliakeiBags
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
  • @SusansJewelryDesigns: which shipping do you use to mail a receipt with a tracking #? Etsy? I use PirateShip, but they don't offer 1st class US postage with tracking. Not sure if USPS does either. 

*I hand-walked an Etsy order several months ago per the buyer's request then lost my star seller. It took 3 months to have it reinstated.

1 Like

Jump to solution

There is nothing to work hard at, but people say they work hard to keep star seller.  The parts of it you can control are easy to do.  The parts you can't control you can't do much about.  Buyers don't care about it or even know what it is.  I would choose a customer pick up or hand delivered sale over keeping star seller.  If it meant I never had star seller because I had these sales I think the choice is a no brainer.  Isn't first priority making good sales?  It is better to have an in person exchange that goes smoothly rather than explaining an insane Etsy policy that won't allow them to just buy what's right in front of them.  You can mail a receipt if you want, but it just makes more logical sense to a customer to hand it to them with the product if they are right there in front of you.  Etsy doesn't understand that putting obstacles in the way of money changing hands isn't a good business move.   

0 Likes

Jump to solution

even if its a neighbor that i know , i still ship it via usps . 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Obviously some of us don’t lol 

0 Likes
VerbyArt
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I've heard someone mention they mailed a thank you card/gift or coupon for future orders using the tracking number. That should be something that could happen from any country, I'd think. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I have the same issue….I hand delivered two items of furniture as they were around 40 miles away and I’ve had problems with poor couriers damaging my items through lack of care so I deliver in person if at all possible to provide a better service and ensure my items arrive in one piece. 
Etsy, a huge company then slammed me with a 45 day reserve as I had no tracking to add and even though I’ve received 5 star reviews from both my buyers who’ve also clearly stated the items were delivered in person they will not lift the reserve and my star seller delivery percentage has dropped right down. I’m on 100% for communication, 5 for item quality but marked down for providing an efficient personal service. I’m extremely disappointed that this multi million pound company Etsy aren’t able to recognise hand deliveries or collections in person. 
I feel it is extremely beneficial for Etsy not to recognise this as the monies held in reserve across the website must be earning Etsy a pretty penny in interest!! I’d appreciate they find a solution as I shouldn’t be penalised for providing fantastic customer service and going out of my way to ensure my buyers are happy. 
Other sites DO have the facility to add “collect in person” or delivered by hand and it doesn’t affect their rating ……don you think it’s time we could get upto speed on Etsy ?  You know …..show a true rating and not a percentage that doesn’t take into account you’ve hand delivered !!!!!

1 Like

Jump to solution

Happened to me too a few months ago ...

0 Likes
MaggieandRose
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

0 Likes
ScarvesByEllen
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I have very few local deliveries but one came up recently. I told them that Etsy would penalize me unless I sent an empty small envelope with a tracking number, so that's what I did. I put one of my colorful package inserts in the envelope, and sent it. They got the scarf they wanted on the same day, and I didn't get a preventable ding from Etsy.

1 Like
ScarvesByEllen
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

In my case I offer free shipping, so I call it the cost of doing business on Etsy. 

0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@ScarvesByEllen   I just looked at one of your listings and it was $14.96 for shipping.  Shipping isn't "free" anyway when it's included in the price of the item.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.