WT heck is going on? Did Etsy draft this out of my account? It's showing as a positive balance? I really need a response here, Etsy

PlannerPenny
Community Member

Re: Etsy drafted $395 out of my checking today?

Jump to solution

This says solved - but it doesn't seem to be? I hope Etsy is prepared to pay any overdrawn fees.

3 Likes
WSMEmbellishments
Community Member

Jump to solution

Its anything but solved in my bank account

3 Likes
BookishStuff
Community Member

Jump to solution

Not solved. I'm still overdrafted.

4 Likes
OhanaJules
Community Member

Jump to solution

Solved my ass lol!!!, maybe thats Etsy's way of saying "its late Friday night so they are all going home and not dealing with this until Tuesday" Problem solved 

(Monday is a holiday)

8 Likes
BreezeOnTheLake
Community Member

Jump to solution

It's such an insult for Etsy to mark this solved when:

1) The pain is only just beginning for everyone who will have to be out massive amounts of money for the next several days, have gone into the negative with their bank funds, cannot sort this out until Tuesday; have cancelled cards

And:

2) Etsy probably has not even BEGUN to figure out what in hell caused this. They can have a mod post a scripted message about looking into things, but backstage who knows what is going on there in Brooklyn. Or maybe even nothing, maybe they're all going home for their holiday weekend.

It's insulting to mark it solved.

18 Likes
PlannerPenny
Community Member

Jump to solution

I agree. It should not be marked as solved :/

2 Likes
WSMEmbellishments
Community Member

Jump to solution

JUST RECIEVED FROM ETSY VIA EMAIL

"We recently let you know about a bill payment error where your card on file was incorrectly charged. We’ve refunded the charge to your card on file and it should appear on your statement shortly.

When your card on file was incorrectly charged, the amount was applied to your payment account balance. We’ve adjusted this balance to reflect the refund we’ve issued back to your card.

We’re sorry again for any trouble caused by this."

It says nothing about reimbursement for fees etc!!!

11 Likes
CustomEsSCENTials
Community Member

Jump to solution

That is not ok, they should not be depositing it into your payment account where it will be reported as earned income again and therefore taxed twice.

9 Likes
BookishStuff
Community Member

Jump to solution

My Email says something different. It was send a couple hours back.

"Hi,

We recently determined a bill payment error where your card on file was incorrectly charged for the amount of $2529.07.

We’re very sorry for the trouble or concern this may have caused and we are currently working to reimburse you for this amount. We’ll update you as we have more information.

If you have any questions, please contact Etsy Support.

Thank you,
Etsy Support Team"

3 Likes
WSMEmbellishments
Community Member

Jump to solution

@BookishStuff I had that same email this afternoon, this email came in tonight 20 mins ago.

1 Like
PinchtheMuse
Community Member

Jump to solution

Document the incorrect transactions, fees, etc (screenshots, print outs). Request the site pay any fees or charges generated due to the incorrect charges and incorrect handling of re-imbursement.

Regarding the message in the email.... I see the site  double speak is alive and well.

Applying the amount they already took from your credit card or bank account to your shop payment account (a record of money they intend to pay to your bank account at a future date) is not refunding a card. It may sound trivial, but they ARE two different things.

Edit to add:

Did not mean the above to sound short or snippy. VERY sorry this is happening to people, it is terrible.

9 Likes
BohemianMoonDesign
Community Member

Jump to solution

Glad it was issued back to your card, but... What about all the time it takes to sort all this out? Having to prove over draft fees, document everything... and on and on!

This is the worst snaffu yet. 

2 Likes
ToysFromTheAttic
Community Member

Jump to solution

They are sorry for any trouble caused. That's it? I'd be fuming.

8 Likes
MetroRetroVintage
Community Member

Jump to solution

Even after this is resolved, please be sure to check your credit reports for a period of time.

9 Likes
PinchtheMuse
Community Member

Jump to solution

Impacted sellers may also want to note the amounts of money the site is cycling through your shop payment account that are NOT sales. It could impact your 1099 for 2019.

7 Likes
BookishStuff
Community Member

Jump to solution

They need to CANCEL the transactions, not keep them and then deposit us like a normal Etsy payment because it is NOT an Etsy payment.

3 Likes
PinchtheMuse
Community Member

Jump to solution

Yes they should have canceled/reversed the transactions.

Unfortunately users are reporting the site charged their debit/credit card and have decided to keep the money from those transactions. Instead of cancelling the site is taking the money, holding it in a site account, then noting on a user's shop payment account to pay the amount to the user the next deposit.

The affected users seem to have no choice in the matter at this time.

1 Like
Lionfishvintage
Community Member

Jump to solution

This will affect peoples credit scores if they can't pay their rent, mortgages & bills.

5 Likes
BookishStuff
Community Member

Jump to solution

THIS right here. I'm hoping no company tries to charge anything from my bank while this is solved. I already reported the transaction as unauthorized and fraudulent to my bank but that doesn't add the money back to my account immediatly.

2 Likes
MoiraRiver
Community Member

Jump to solution

With all these extra charges did your seller accounts get paid ? When the money Etsy charged then refunded are your Etsy bills paid ? Or are all of these Etsy accounts not paid as of Feb. 15. this could be another problem---how much do you owe ? 

0 Likes
PinchtheMuse
Community Member

Jump to solution

Some users that had money taken were reporting that they had a zero balance before the site charged their debit or credit card.

So it seems it was not directly linked to an amount being owed on the 15th.

1 Like
WarmHugsCornBags
Community Member

Jump to solution

My account was showing a positive balance, didn't owe anything but over $13,000 was taken out according to the email.

3 Likes
WSMEmbellishments
Community Member

Jump to solution

We dont owe anything with the new system, we sell so many orders each day we always have a zero balance for what's due yet today I was charged $2346 in error.

2 Likes
Linsvintageboutique
Community Member

Jump to solution

I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD FILE a complaint  with NEW yORK ATTORNEY GENERAL  BROOKLYN NEW YORK ABOUT WHAT ETSY DID TO MANY SELLERS

YOU CAN FILE A COMPLAINT ON THE ATTN GENERAL WEBSITE

8 Likes
PinchtheMuse
Community Member

Jump to solution

I am not one this happened to, but in thinking about all of this. If my credit card was charged say $10,000. Then that was converted to cash by a third party and dumped into my bank account? I might be talking to my credit card issuer and bank before that deposit hit my bank account if at all possible.

That would be a considerable strange looking and unusual transaction. I might want to make sure both bank and card issuer knew it was not something intitiated by me. Especially if my card issuer and bank are the same entity.

That all being said... I don't know how the larger amounts are being handled. So maybe no one would have that happen and maybe I am just taking a thought excercise further than it needs to go.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.