Etsy charged Japan buyer $45 s&h. Want to bill me $91

10lb package to Japanese buyer, multiple problems.

1. Etsy charged Japanese buyer $45 to ship 10 pound package. Want to BILL ME  $91+  for label.

2. My shipping options for automatic s&h costs to buyers at checkout is for North America only. I don't sell out of US any more

3. Her address in Tokyo is invalid anyway. How did this get through in the purchase?

This is totally weird and kind of scary. She got charged a US shipping price after listing Japan as her shipping address. Anyone else having this problem?  Thanks

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Etsy charged Japan buyer $45 s&h. Want to bill me $91

I would refund and cancel.

3 Likes
EDCCollective
Conversation Maker

I have not had your problem OP, but are you planning on cancelling the sale if you did not have Japan listed as a country you would sell that item to?

2 Likes

@AntiqueAddictions  What a gorgeous shop!  You are obviously an experienced enough Etsy Seller to know your shipping settings.  Is it possible the Buyer had a US account, and entered the shipping address as Japan?  I'm not sure what the receipt would show.  You're going to need to cancel anyways - maybe ask the Buyer when you do  - how this happened, when you don't ship out of the US.

1 Like

I would refund and cancel and simply put the reason as you cannot fulfill the order because you don't ship overseas. It sounds like maybe the shipping had been set to "everywhere else".  Lovely shop, by the way! I grew up in Riverside and I was just there last month.  

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I have convo'd the buyer that s&h is $50 more than she paid, and asked her if she wants to pay it or have me issue a refund. I will let you know what happened. Weird-ish stuff is why I stopped selling out of North America, lots of problems began cropping up in last year or two, after going really well for many years.

0 Likes

Japan is usually ok to ship to without problems, but I would verify address and request additional postage or cancel if they don't want to pay it. But that doesn't provide explanation how it happened. If you checked your shipping settings and Japan was definitely not an option, then as someone else said, the only senario I can think of is if the buyers country was US but she provided an address in Japan. But she shouldn't be able to do that, since postage is not the same as US.

1 Like

More weird: Sold last night, and Etsy deposited money $$ this morning!!! Why doesn't this ALWAYS happen lol

0 Likes

Your payment must be at least $25 or Etsy will hold your payments until the amount owed reaches this threshhold.

0 Likes

You should verify your shipping profiles.

This item says it doesn´t ship to the United States, but the drop down menu doesn´t have any other country to choose from.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/247171192/fox-fur-sweater-dress-trim-maxi-dress-2

0 Likes

Obviously this is moot since you state you don't ship to Japan; but I have had to return an item to Japan and using PirateShip I got the shipping for one-third the usual rate and it got there within about 10 days (during the pandemic).  So if anyone here does want to ship to Japan, that's the way to go...

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.