Any suggestions for a good photo editor?

Okay, I have a confession...I'm still using Picasa to edit my listing photos. I know, Picasa was ended yonks ago, and there are loads of other photo editing programs out there, but I have tried so many and I just can't find one that works for me. I always seem to end up back with comfy cozy Picasa, doing all the little tasks I need to do with my photos quickly and easily. The problem is that since it's an old program, pixel sizes of my edited and exported photos are reduced to a point where Etsy doesn't like them (this is my very non-technical understanding of the problem) and it seems to be affecting my SEO. Are there any other former Picasa addicts out there who've successfully broken the habit? My go-to edits are soft focus (blurred edges that highlight my jewelry), spot correction (an amazing little eraser) and "add text", so I can add my name- surprisingly it seems like a lot of editing programs don't include these. 

I'm totally overwhelmed by all of the options out there, and since you have to pay up front for many of them it's a gamble as to whether they'll work for me. I do most of my work on a Windows desktop computer. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated! 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
35 Replies

Re: Any suggestions for a good photo editor?

I'm sympathetic with losing the support of a tried-and-true program, and having to get used to a new one.  I used to do quite well with the Windows photo editing program - it was simple and just what I could use.  It was before Win 10.   

The past several years I've had Photoshop Elements, and I tried to learn to make better use of it, but it's just too much "horse" for this rider!  I basically use it to brighten my exposure,  and white out the backgrounds.   I just use the eraser tool, which isn't too bad since the majority of my items are square- even though I've tried to learn the other ways that are "easier" to remove backgrounds.

2 Likes

I'll look for this, thank you!

1 Like

Well, Photoshop is top-of-the-line used by professionals. Of course, it's probably a bigger learning curve than you may want or need. 

2 Likes
DavidandRau
Conversation Maker

I still use picasa.  We take sports photos, thousands of them, and picasa organizes them perfectly.  A few tweaks in the settings and done.  Export the photos to keep them large rather than ,save as.

Other than that lightroom.

1 Like

I still use Picasa. I have tried others but they seem to complicated and more than I need.

Like you, I find Picasa easy and simple so I shall continue.

1 Like

@OttersVintageFinds Can you still download picasa?  I loved that program, but when I got a new computer I lost it and couldn't find a download anywhere

1 Like

I use Picmonkey. It's fast and easy to use. There is even an option when resizing specifically for Etsy ...Listing photos, banners and a lot more. Personally I think your photos are beautiful...sigh, I need a new camera.

6 Likes

Thank you ParfaitPlumes! I keep hearing about Picmonkey, it's been recommended a few times today- one of my daughter's friends loves it. The fact that it includes Etsy-specific settings is really promising, it seems like most photo editors are geared towards selfies and vacation pics, lol. I'll try it and let you know!

1 Like
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

I use Paint.net.

It is free, very versatile yet easy to use.  Unlike other free programs, it is also well maintained, and notifies you when you open the program if there are updates available.

3 Likes

@joannerowan I use the free version of Adobe PhotoShop Express (Adobe PS).  I use almost exclusively the "magic" auto edit setting or "Bueno" in the Basic setting, which takes care of 75% of my issues.  Occasionally, I need to tune up some of the lighting issues with warmth or tone, but other than that, I'm clueless!

I will mention one thing.  I used the Vignette and the blur to highlight whatever I was photographing.  I even downloaded an app called Focos that made it look like I had a fancy digital camera (I use my tablet to photograph).  I was SO impressed with myself and my magazine-worthy photos!  Well, I found out that Google thought that all that fancy aperture stuff was blurry pictures and penalized my website (edited to add: I'm sure if I had a "real" digital camera that could do all that stuff naturally, Google wouldn't have penalized me).
*sigh*
So, if you want to rank well on Google, you might want to consider not using the blur.

4 Likes

Thank you ForeverWindingWool, I'll check out that Adobe program! Your photos are gorgeous! I'm worry that using a tablet might affect ranking too, since the pixel sizes are much smaller than phones and newer cameras- have  you had any issues with this? It would make life easier, transferring photos from my phone is a pain in the butt.  

0 Likes

@joannerowan I'm so inexperienced with this I really wouldn't know.  The only way I knew about Google thinking my photos were blurry is because I had a free audit of my website. 

I think Etsy does it's own thing with our photos (sometimes they DO look blurry) so I'm not completely sure that it really matters on a marketplace like Etsy.

0 Likes

@joannerowan I can confirm that the people saying they are using tablets mostly have photos that are too small for Etsy, although some of @ForeverWindingWool 's photos are more than large enough.  You need 2000 px minimum across the widest side.

(You can get by with less, of course, but then everything else needs to be near perfect if you really want to do well here.) 

3 Likes

I use GIMP. It works great, and it is free, though it does take a bit to get used to. You can do everything you mentioned and lots more, including color, exposure, lighting, and effects. 

1 Like

I like BeFunky.  

1 Like

I also use BeFunky. My camera is garbage so I need all the help I can get. 

0 Likes

Your photos are beautiful. I hope you don't change it up too much.

1 Like

Thank you  SpottedOctopusShop! Your shop is beautiful!  I do want to keep the overall look of my photos. It seems like Etsy is pushing to have us white out the backgrounds, but I'm really not a fan of that floating-in-space look. I think artistic backgrounds add a lot and help to tell your story. 

0 Likes

I really like Lightroom 

0 Likes
Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

I used to use a combo of Picasa and the old Snapseed. I just finally had to update my OS and consequently lost Picasa. I replaced it with Lightroom Classic which took a little learning but really gives you so much more control, and has the ability to copy and paste edits which saves a ton of time. My photos have drastically improved since making the switch. Irritatingly, it does not have an add text feature, so I have to use Photoshop for that (not as streamlined as Picasa but pretty simple to use). I still miss Picasa but Lightroom is a solid replacement!

1 Like

Thank you Chrysalism! I'll check out Lightroom, I haven't tried that one yet. I was really surprised to find out that so many editing programs don't seem to include text. The Picasa text tool is just the best...sigh. I guess one solution would be to have a watermark signature made? 

0 Likes

I use my iPad...take the photo and edit right there and send to computer and then into a "Pictures" folder where I can click it into the listing when I'm ready.

1 Like

Thanks, StudioCLD! I looked into using an ipad at one point, it seemed like it might be a great solution until I realized that the cameras on tablets typically aren't great- that pixel size thing again, argh! You haven't had any issues with this? 

0 Likes

I use Paint Shop Pro, which is another old program but which does everything I need - resizing, adjust brightness, spot removal, etc. I've also been recently told about PhotoRoom, which is a free program with a 'buy' option for more functions - I just use the free one. It has a lot of backgrounds as well, which is helpful, and the option to remove the background altogether and just have your item there on white. I'm still learning how to use it but it looks really good. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.