All of my items in people's carts disappeared overnight

As of a couple days ago, I had many of my shop's items in people's carts. Several of my items were in 15 to 20+ carts. I would check this almost daily. 

Suddenly, overnight, all of my items are no longer in people's carts. It would be understandable if the numbers danced around a little bit. Someone removes an item, someone adds it, your numbers fluctuate a bit. But even my items that were in 20+ people's carts are no longer there. It shows no one has them in cart now. And again, this was a drastic change overnight.

So, I'm wondering if this is some technical issue, if this is even accurate, if I should trust it... does Etsy remove your items from carts after a certain amount of time sitting there??

This feels unfair. I know seeing items in a lot of carts 

Anyone have this happen to them? Any insight would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
36 Replies

Re: All of my items in people's carts disappeared overnight

I think after a certain period of time, Etsy deletes them from the carts

9 Likes
StitchyFrood
Conversation Maker

After a certain period (a month?) Etsy does move items from carts to saved for later, but I still see some in the cart counts on some of your listings when I go into the listing page. Maybe a new test? Maybe just a small design change all retailers must do. 

3 Likes

Please do not worry. Etsy about every 30 days removes items from carts and places them in the browser's "saved for later" page. You should think of carts as a reminder system for some buyers and as a way to compare items for others. Carts don't translate into sales automatically.

8 Likes

Did you start a sale? If you run a sale, you can't see when someone has your item in their cart.

6 Likes

Is that it? I just ran a sale yesterday and 4 of my items were in people's carts. Today, none of the items appear in anyone's carts. A sale is the reason for this? 

0 Likes
BlackBearMosaics
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks, that answers my question, but it's not helpful for my shop, right?! I still would like to see how many have 'stored' it in their cart/s.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think it might be more than 30 days.  It may be closer to 60.  Someone put all of my items in their cart at the beginning of September.  It happened overnight, so that's why I think it was one person.  They were purged sometime today and I'm glad to see them gone.

1 Like
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

Mine disappeared today too and it's happened before. Like others have said, it's likely that Etsy moved the stuff to 'saved for later'. I don't get concerned about it. Seems to be a cycle.

1 Like

This happen to me on October 1st. All the items in carts just zeroed out. It came with a 50% decrease in sales for the month too. Hope you have better luck.

0 Likes
TagTeams
Conversation Maker

@Dinosaurnaments
Yikes!

0 Likes
MrsDsHandKnits
Conversation Maker

and does it R-E-A-L-L-Y matter? Items in persons' carts means nothing!.. items in people's carts are NOT sales!

..."and it's in __person's cart" is a totally meaningless/useless feature!  Inciting F-A-L-S-E hope for those sellers who believe in it, is all that feature does...I totally detest that Etsy uses such a ridiculous meaningless feature...and I don't think it gives buyers any sort of urgency to purchase just because the listing states it's in "x" number of person's carts..that BS.

I am very thankful that my other selling sites don't have such a feature thrown in seller's faces...

4 Likes

I think it does matter;

it's not intended to give the Seller false hope but to show potential buyers that other shoppers think enough of your product to consider buying it and to install a bit of buyer urgency if the product has low stock. But what do I know.

Heather 

16 Likes

I wondered.  I always have my items in carts for weeks, no sales at all since June.

0 Likes
NoFrogsAllowed
Conversation Maker

It is supposed to instill a sense of urgency in buyers to buy, it is not designed to be there for the seller.  Potential buyers and window shoppers put items in their cart for a wide variety of reasons and for buying is not usually the main reason.  Lots of people do it, because if is much easier to find the carted item than it is to find the item again in the favorites list.

Etsy does remove cart items to "saved for later" about once a month (they did mine today).

0 Likes
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

Some people just use the cart as a placeholder.

2 Likes

We still see this on our shop's home page. As @MrsDsHandKnits said this is intended as a nudge to motivate the buyer not as a tool for sellers. Obviously Etsy has determined that is does increase sales. but perhaps Etsy is testing which listings to show it on or maybe to see if that screen real estate can be used for something else.  If it was a number you could rely on and use in a meaningful way it would probably appear on your listings page along with visits and favorites and sales data. There is no guarantee that the numbers are current or that all listings in someone's cart display display the message. While I know some sellers will disagree we have never been able to correlate "in someone's cart" with actual sales.

0 Likes

This just happened to my Shop today.  I went in to update two renewals and 26 items that were in customers carts are gone.  

0 Likes
NoFrogsAllowed
Conversation Maker

@PooglesCorner 

Approximately once a month Etsy moves the carted items to "saved for later."  Since it is a pretty meaningless "stat" it is no big deal that they "disappear." 

0 Likes

I just wish I had buyers putting things from my shop in their carts!

0 Likes
NiciLaskin
Conversation Maker

when that happens , i always lose out on sales , its once a month and sure thing when i look my items are not in the carts anymore

0 Likes

When you run a sale, there is not enough space so the  sale is prioritized somehow.

0 Likes
TheArtfulTwig
Conversation Maker

This happens to me frequently.  At first it struck me as odd, that all of the items would be zeroed out all at once, but I no longer pay attention. It seems to be something Etsy is doing, not the buyers with the items in their carts, as others have said.  

0 Likes
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

Etsy moves them to "Save For Later" for whomever had it in a cart.

0 Likes

That happens to my listings that are about to expire. In people's carts,so I renew them and poof, nobody ever buys them. But somebody got their 20 cents.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.