Stall69UK
Conversation Maker

200 CAPTCHA Just to Sign In

The title says it all.

Never have the problem with any other site.

ONLY on Etsy.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
17 Replies
mailordervintage
Conversation Maker

Re: 200 CAPTCHA Just to Sign In

yup....same here, for both of my Etsy shops....

1 Like

captcha---so annoying that as a seller, taking 20 minutes to get into my own shop, I'm strongly thinking of leaving Etsy.  It's a great way to anger buyers and sellers.  What is Etsy trying to protect with this?

0 Likes

One of the reasons I just stay signed in unless I am going to be gone from the house and no one is here. Never know when you "might" have a break in.

As I have said before, I think it is ironic that I have to prove to a robot that I am not a robot!

2 Likes

@ThePurplePuppy  It's okay to close down your computer when not using.  It is  cleaning out the cache and removing cookies that starts up the recaptcha.  Some people automatically clean out their cookies when they close down causing recaptcha.  I seldom ever get it.  

0 Likes

@JDTotesnDolls 

Glad to know that! Thank you!

0 Likes

Recently I had endless captcha when I was trying to log in to my recently opened second account via incognito mode. 

When I gave up after like... 5 minutes? and went to a different browser, it took me 3 captchas to log in (since then I'm staying as logged, in because it's annoying anyway).

0 Likes

Incognito mode does not work as a way to use the same browser for two shops.   It only means a history is not kept.  That alone can trigger recaptcha but the other is can't have two shops open on the same browser. Technically  it is the same browser even if using incognito mode.

0 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

I don't sign out.  I signed out recently to log into a shop I want to reactivate.  Took so many tries to get back in I downloaded a third browser.  scared to death etsy will shut me down for "suspicious activity" and never reopen.  It's like you have to anticipate and be one step ahead of all the possible glitches here.

2 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Every time that comes up for me I just leave the page and start over. That usually works.

4 Likes

Yes! It is endless and the pictures are grainy or fuzzy, making it a test of endurance and patience.  If you're really lucky, you get the red error message once you are finally verified.  I've been getting the red error message every time I sign in (Chrome) - CAPTCHA or not -for years.  I close Chrome, hold my breath, then reopen it and click on my shop.  It usually works after all of that.  There have been a very few times where that stars have lined up just right for sign in to be uneventful just like other sites-very few.  

3 Likes

I feel the life force draining out of my body every time I have to do the captcha! We have 5 shops, and it is such a time and emotion sucker. My husband doesn't ask what's wrong anymore, when I am on the computer and cursing. It seems that Etsy = Suffering these days!

5 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

I spent too much time on youtube the other day (again), and came across an explanation of how the captcha works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UuvwY6CdLo

Apparently moving the mouse directly towards the click areas makes you look like a computer. Try being more wobbly!

Also it is based on your internet search history, so if you are hiding from Google you may look more robotic.

Lawrence (Clare's other half)

2 Likes

There was something posted the last time this happened - can't remember exactly what but it had to do with clicking on the refresh buttons - there doesn't seem to be an opportunity to do that this time.

Yesterday when trying to print labels before the mail carrier came, I managed to get the 3 done for this shop.  When I tried to switch over to my other shop, I had to give up after 2 hours.

0 Likes

Luckily for me the package wasn't late going out but it wouldn't have mattered if it had been as it was after 6 PM before I was able to print a label.

I started around noon.  Etsy that is unacceptable.  In between times I went to my local library (which was closed for the holidays) and it left me wondering - could I even have logged in there and printed my label?

They could at least give us decent pictures to look at - they tell us to use clear photos in our listings - they could at least do the same for us.

0 Likes
LynnsLittleShop
Conversation Maker

I hardly ever get the capcha, mostly I get the email with the number thing,  But I realized this week if I signed into the Forums page, I got right in with no problem, on my laptop. We do have a personal VPN if that makes a difference, I don't know, I leave that to my husband. 

0 Likes

How do you sign into the forum page?

0 Likes

I'm glad it's not just me....  CAPTCHA makes me feel like an idiot.  Maybe I'm too obsessive about checking all the parts of the bicycle....  haha.  Seems to work better if you leave the small frames unchecked.  Sometimes.  Other times it just shows more things to look at that drive me to my glasses because I can't tell if it's got a scrap of bridge in it.  

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.