Tips and Tricks

Jump to solution
In this thread, post any methods you might have for getting noticed and moving your product!

Share your expertise with the rest of your Teammates, so that we may all be successful!

This is a Q&A Thread!

PS Tip and Trick:
Play the silly thread games for the same reason! You can't help yourself if you don't play, and you cant help others if you don't play...AND THEY CAN'T HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T PLAY, or IF THEY DON'T PLAY! Win, win, or lose, lose, we do it together. Your sales or lack there of are all dependent upon how much work you put into your store
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Tips and Tricks

Jump to solution
Re-Hearting!
If you need to favorite items above you, but have already hearted the items, then simply unheart/unfavorite the item, and then reheart/refavorite the item. It is good to do that because then the item you had once liked, can get seen by more people!

Be sure to wait at last 10sec before rehearting an item so that it registers!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
45 Replies

Jump to solution
If you haven't already noticed, ;) I send out coupons to those who like my items and favorite my store. This way they hopefully will look at the rest of my store before deciding definitively that they don't want to purchase anything.

PS: I'm sorry if you have been bombarded by coupons from me due to this Team. I may send you multiples due to the high amount of favoritors I have that day.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Here is a Tip and Trick y'all!

REVIEW YOUR PURCHASED ITEMS!

When you purchase something from a store, you first, usually, always, well, rather, I, always first look at that store's reviews. I don't really care about the sales that person has had, but I definitely look at the reviews of the items they sold. Sometimes, if the review it well written, I even go to that person's account and check them out. Yes, it may be a bit creepy, but whatever, that's the internet people. Everyone's creepy on the internet.

The point is, if they hadn't left a review for that item, I would not have checked them out. And we all know that when you view someone's items in their shop, those items show up more in the feeds. So basically, get your name out there as much as you can. Review the items you purchase from stores, because that is just one more way to get noticed.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Tips and Tricks ~~ BACKLINKS!

Okay, so does everyone know what a backlink is? No? Okay...

A backlink is a link that you post in your listing, or on another site, to get back to your store.

You know how sometimes you are clicking through the internet and you have multiple pages go by and you think, 'I wish I were back at the beginning again'? Well, when you post a link in each of your listings to similar products, then the person reading your listing item info will see the link to this 'similar product' and maybe click on it!

This is super helpful because the link is keeping them in your store, and informing them that you actually do have similar items if that exact one isn't exactly what they are looking for.

*** You can also post your store's main page link in your listings. ***

When someone views on your item, the side bar items are only filled with products from the same category at the viewed item. This can be helpful, but it can also hurt you. If none of those items appeal to me personally when I see them, most of the time I backspace out of the viewed item, and move on. BUT, when I see a link in the listing to click on to view the store or another item in the listing, m curiosity usually gets the better of me. More often than not, I scroll through the entire store's listings and check them out, just because I clicked on that link.

So, think about it. Backlinks, you now know what they are... use them. :)
0 Likes
LadyEosProducts
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Regarding the messages with coupons. As I've joined teams and liked other people's stores I've gotten a few of those coupons. Is there a way to automatically send a coupon when someone favors your store or is it a manual process?

Thanks,
Dawn

P.S. Once there is a reply to my posts, how do I find my post again? This team is still small and manageable but other teams I'm on are huge with thousands of threads. Also what is the "mark" button on the right side of the screen?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I'm afraid I cant be any help with any of this. There isn't a way to send coupons automatically, sadly. I do all of mine manually. There is also no way to find your post again quickly, unless it has something to do with the mark button which I also don't know the purpose of. I can only assume that the mark button is a way to mark your post. I'm sorry for not being any help. Just know that you are not alone my friend.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Tip and Trick ~~Never give up.

I just read the most depressing post on one of my other Teams. This lady is shutting down her store due to the change in Etsy. She claims her sales have suffered and cut in half.

Don't every give up. If your sales have cut in half, or you are just having a hard time making them in general, DON'T GIVE UP. You have to change with the economy. If what you are doing isn't working, then try something new! Keep reinventing yourself and your store, and your approach to sales, until you find a grove that works for your store and your clients. SEO is all well and good, but anyone in a Team knows that that just isn't enough. You have to work for what you want in life. You MUST change when things aren't going well. And never give up. If your cost doesn't outweigh your profit, you are still in the clear.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Are any of you using the paid for 'Promoted Listings'? I did before joining this team and get a great increase of clicks but at a cost, I had the setting at $2/day. I have taken it down to $1/day now and reduced my clicks but as I have not sold anything from those clicks yet I don't know how long to go on with them. Any advice?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I would not use paid advertising. It is taking money from you to the point of selling an item might not even help recover the cost. The best way to get free advertisement is to play thread games in teams. When other people favorite your things, awareness gets out there about your items for free.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thank you :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
When you send out coupons for people who favourite your items, how much is the coupon for?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I send them for 5%, then 10% if they favorite my store.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
For the coupon thing, you do have to send it manually, however, if you join the prototype [go under account settings and then prototypes] Saved Snippets for Convos, you are able to save a template for conversations. It makes sending favorite coupons so much easier. And if you're on your phone you could have some images saved with your coupon code, what they'll save, and the expiration date to attach to your "thank you" conversation.
Fotor is nice app that allows you to edit photos, including adding text, and collage photos [they even have a size for instagram, which is nice] plus it's free.
And if you want to find some nice abstract images for your coupons you can download Zedge [ also free] and download wallpapers to edit in fotor or whatever other photo editing app you have.

Hope this helps!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
How exactly do you send the coupons???
I'm new to this. I did get an email from a seller with a coupon to return to her shop, is that not considered spamming? Just wondering,TIA.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I send out coupons if a person favorites my store. I don't consider that spamming if I have it stated in my store info that I will send you a coupon for doing so. :) I hand send all of my coupons. It can get exhausting, but I have made some great friends along the way, and I do get return response from those coupons even if it is just views to my items or page due to browsing. Every little bit helps!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I have put my prices up to (cost of material+cost of my time creating item)x2 in order to offer discounts and free worldwide shipping. Is that what you would do in my situation? I would be happy to take home (cost of material)x3 + (cost of time creating item) if I did not offer discounts or free shipping. It is just that the shipping out of Europe would be 12-14pounds (about 24-30 US$) for some of my heavier items.
I know that Etsy's recommendations are (cost)x4 for retail price... are any of you asking that?
PS my shawls take 4 hrs to make if I don't spin the yarn myself
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Es you are amazing! You know what I would do in your situation, I would make things unusual. I think your product is too commercial that is why. Though it be of higher quality than the rest, people cant feel it, or even see it due to photoshop. You should focus on finding a niche. For instance, Doll clothes, Dog clothes... or maybe weave fancy dresses or the like... That way you are the only one on etsy selling that design and it makes it more coveted.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
My favorite tip is - use instagram! The only sale I have is because of that site. I make sure to not just post pics of my items, but interact and find followers using hashtags that I use as tags for my items in store. For example, I found a girl archer on instagram with 1000 followers. I just started adding every one of them that had something hunting or deer or archery related in their username or profile picture. Took forever but so worth it. And now when I see their pics on my homepage I favorite some and they come back to look at my stuff.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Re-Hearting!
If you need to favorite items above you, but have already hearted the items, then simply unheart/unfavorite the item, and then reheart/refavorite the item. It is good to do that because then the item you had once liked, can get seen by more people!

Be sure to wait at last 10sec before rehearting an item so that it registers!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I had a major failure with my first "shop." So I spent about 6 months reading everything I could about selling on Etsy. Best book by far was Etsy for Dummies. One trick I learned:

1, Always restate your title as your opening sentence under description. Moves u higher up Google search.

Question: My new shop has been open for about 8 weeks and without any focus on promotion I have made 12 sales. I think that''s a good amount but my husband disagrees. What do you guys think? Ok to be honest!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
12 sales in 8n weeks isn't bad at all,Karen.

Do you copy paste your title to the top of your description?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
12 sales in 8 weeks is fantastic!
I'm currently on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram but am yet to make a sale. I'm starting to wondering if maybe my items just aren't quite right? But I'm not giving up so Thankyou for all these hints and tips!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Tips and Tricks ~~ Stores That Don't Suck

First off, you need a cohesive theme to your store to draw in your buyers. If you sell a bunch of miscellaneous things that don't have a connection, then you will lose your audience.

For instance, if you are selling paintings and purses, those two items just don't go together. But if you have some items that are painted purses, then there is your connection!

Store reviewers will say you need a cover photo, so before you ask someone to review your store, make a cover photo...this is non negotiable. Cover photos are what introduce potential buyers to your store! They represent the very personality of your store, the heart beat, if you will. If you don't have a professional-ish cover image, then your store just sort of flops.

Now for your pictures. Usually, when people are having problems with their stores and aren't making sales, reviewers blame it on the pictures. Every person to review your store, will have a different idea on what you should have as your image pictures. I am no different in that sense. Usually, if it isn't your lack of cover image, or store description which is also mildly important, so you don't look like a stiff with a stick up your butt, it is your product photos that should change.

Product photos are all usually based on personal preference in their style and design. Many shoppers will tell you to white out your backgrounds to have more professional looking photos. I am the exact opposite. As long as your photos are cohesive, and not blurry, or hard on the eyes, AND you can tell exactly what the product is, and how it should be used, white backgrounds are not necessary. In fact, white backgrounds generally turn me off a product. I want to see personality in the images. I want to see details, and beauty. I don't want a picture that looks like it was taken by some narcissistic person with a penchant for washed out bathroom selfies.

Now for descriptions... Don't be stupid. Please, for the love of all human minds, don't give us descriptions with long winded vaguely relate-able insight to your products. Give us straight up, 'Dog Necklace Pendant On Gold Chain', THEN put in any other BS you think might help it be found in the search bar. But at least this way, people viewing your store can see what your item is, without hovering and squinting at your description of your item.

PUT YOUR ITEMS IN CATEGORIES FROM THE START! -- Most people don't think they need categories for their items if they only have a few. You would be wrong. What if I don't want to look through your three pages of products to find what I want? What if you have something for a holiday I am looking for, but I don't see it because it was over looked and you don't have it in a category labeled 'Holiday'? Yeah...you just lost a potential sale.

What if I want a bracelet, but all I see are necklaces? You have bracelets, but my eyes can't tell the difference anymore because all your items blend together? Categories people....Categories.

As for tags, use everything you can think of to possibly have anything to do with your items, in tagging. Use all 13 options because even if a tag is only loosely related to your item, someone might find it.

Pricing. Look around you. Look at items similar to yours, and price accordingly. If you make a really high quality hair bow, but there is another similar hair bow with a better picture, and a cheaper price, people are not even going to care that yours may be a better quality. Who would even click on your bow to see the other pictures or read the description of your product, when there is another bow that is similar to yours, but about $15 cheaper?

Price your items to compete, or you will be left behind.

Once your store is up and running, promote, promote, promote. You will get nowhere with your perfect store, if people don't know you are out there. Promote on Etsy, and promote on other social media sites. Try not to pay for promotion, because you are just gambling with your money. If something doesn't work out for you, try, and try again. Work until you can't stand it and you are so overwhelmed and your life is crap because all you do is think, craft and post to your etsy page. When your etsy success means more to you than your lazy fun distractions, you will start to sell things in your store. Make your craft fun, but make sure you don't insult your products with bad images and descriptions. You wouldn't want a bad photo of you floating around online, treat your products with the same respect!

Your products will speak for themselves, you just have to make sure they are sweet talking your customers, not telling them off.

Okay, I'm exhausted from this post. I hope you found it helpful if not a bit redundant. Peace!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I completely agree, especially on the pricing point. WE all love our stuff, but the customer may not love it as much as we do, and pricing is a huge point in online shopping. When I started, I researched kumihimo on etsy and made sure my stuff was at or below what other people were pricing.

On the other hand, don't price things so that you're shortchanging yourself. Make sure you add the cost of everything together, including shipping, to make sure you're making a profit. Don't forget to factor in your time as a cost. That's why my beaded products cost so much more than the nonbeaded ones; they take two-three times the amount of work to make.

Also, if you're looking to get sales and not having much luck with social media, get out of the house! Go to art shows and festivals, carry business cards on you AT ALL TIMES! There have been so many times that a random conversation with somebody in a craft store has turned into a business card exchange. Art shows and festivals are great places to make connections. If your state doesn't require a business license [Virginia doesn't], enter a couple LOW COST art shows and make friends with the other vendors. Not only does it give you somewhere to showcase your product outside of Etsy, but often times vendors help each other out. I've been doing art shows with my product and my mother's since I was little, and have made some awesome connections that way.

Join your local etsy team! Most regions have them.

Lastly, don't be afraid of the word clearance. If something just isn't attracting views or sales, you may want to think about revamping your product. This doesn't mean throw it to the wayside! You paid decent money for that listing, use it until it expires! Create a clearance section and leave them there until the listing expires. People love sales!

Hope some part of this wall of text helps!

~Lyssa <3
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
For all who need a banner!

http://www.etsybannergenerator.com
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.