Hi teammates,

You guys have some super creative shop names that I love, but I often find myself wondering what the story behind them is. What do you like about your shop name? How does it relate to your business? Is there a funny anecdote behind it? Is it a pun? Is it a tribute to someone special to you? Did you have a different name before switching to your current one? How do you think customers interpret your name?

I'll go first. I got the name Sassafras from a good friend of mine who always called me Sassafras when I said anything that was a little snarky. I also have a passion for botany, so a plant name just felt like a perfect fit for me.

Now it's your turn. Share your stories and thoughts in this thread!

Re: What's the story behind your shop name?

I was addicted to the "Sopranos" on HBO and loved the name of Tony's bar, Badabing, thought it was too cute! When I had to come up with a name for my shop here at Etsy, I thought about the fact that I love jewelry with lots of Bling and Tony's bar popped into my head...so I put an L in it and presto...JewelrybyBadaBling..
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

I was first making hair bows for my daughter and noticed that I always liked them colorful so when I started making hair bows for the shop, I wanted a name that would describe my hair bows and ColorfulBows was just perfect!
0 Likes

I live in an old blue house....over 100 years old, the tenant farm of my husbands family.....blue siding however!!!
0 Likes

I never had a shop when I started making my name collages. So after being told By my customers that I HAD to go on Etsy , my first challenge was to name my shop. I must have tried a dozen names in the wood or love or name genre. Nothing was available. Then it hit me. It was so simple and available...All of my pieces start with wooden letters and I get them!!! TheLetterGetter.
0 Likes

Crocodile Crunch - my kids started their own unique twist on See you later, Alligator - when my daughter went to kindergarten, she'd tell her little brother See you later, Alligator Apple! He'd yell at her as she left the car- After while, Crocodile Crunch! When I named my shop, this was the perfect twist on a classic that left me smiling !
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Obviously my shop name comes from Blackbird. Blackbirds are very teritorial birds they will hold their territory throughout their lives. I belive we women are also very attached to our bags and won't let them go. So in a way you could say: You can take everything from me, but not my Blackbird bag.
0 Likes

My shop name comes from an inspiration and motivation of some friends from the yoga studio that I used to attend before I had my baby. Four years ago, I almost forgot to take care of myself. I had a bad cholesterol and had a mild stroke. Thank God I was able to get up again and become a yoga goer. Since then, I become a yoga follower and had an interest with yoga accessories. I created inspirational bracelets for myself to wear and some I gave to family and friends for gift giving. It might not be that expensive, but the thought and the energy that flows on that pieces of jewelry counts more than the value itself.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm from Switzerland, and my Nickname abroad has become Swisschocolate... and because I draw and make art, SwissChocolateArt...
I feel really silly now compared to all the sophisticated name choices and concepts xD
0 Likes

PommeRose is the name of a small village in the town of St Davids where I was born in Grenada. I chose it to remind myself of where myself and my family grew up until I was 6 and moved to the UK.
0 Likes

Where does the name Snowywinds come from? About 8 years ago, I was trying to come up with a clever email address that could also represent my music & art studio. 'Snowy' happens to be my hippie name that my parents gave me (& while I'm glad it's not the real name they gave me, it was a cute nickname - Snowy Winter.) 'Winds' comes from the fact that I play woodwind instruments (flute, alto sax, clarinet, oboe, recorder, piccolo.) When I added the second part of the word 'woodwind' to the name Snowy, I came up with Snowywinds & it stuck.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have friends who live in Florida and are always posting on social media "salt life", teasing us how jealous we should be because they live in a warm climate. I am from NH and although it is not warm all the time, I do live on a lake which is wonderful and has inspired my shop and the items in it. So it seemed appropriate to name it Lake Life is Beautiful!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It was actually super easy for Lauren and I to find a name! We have been friends since birth. Our parents were friends and moved next door to each other. When Lauren's mom was pregnant with her she ran over to my moms house and showed her the pregnancy test which was positive and showed a blue line. My mom always says that Lauren and I have been friends since we were little blue lines so when we had to pick a name Lauren said "Lets name it Blue Line Design" (jokingly) but then we thought about it and we thought that it was a funny and actually a great idea!
0 Likes

My shop name comes from my fanatic Venice love. Old European merchant city famous for its glass, made on the nearby Murano island.
Merceria was here the main merchant street for hundred years, my name is Marianne, and I create lampwork jewelry.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello :)

I chose this name one day with my boyfriend.
I love miniatures and as a child i was a big fan of kinder suprise egg!!
Always looking for the gifts inside and then maybe i would eat the chocolate!

I started making miniature things out of polymer clay for me and my friends few years ago and i thought why not give the chance to others to have something made for them?

I could make something for others to buy for them or as a gift for their friends also.
It is my opinion that all people like gifts and many people like miniatures also! :)

So we thought this name is really giving the idea of what this shop is about! :)

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

At the very age, I met the best you.
0 Likes

My shop is named Lissie Design because my nickname is Lissie :)
0 Likes

Well, I spent like 2 months searching for mine, I wanted one not only for jewelry and not only for polymer clay, because I thought that in a future I would like to make other stuff besides jewelry... at first I was looking for names in spanish because I'm mexican, but then I made a research on internet and there were thousand companies with the same name, so then I started in English with other names and it was the same thing, I still wasn't original, plus I used to ask my friends for their opinion and not all of them were convinced.
Also I though to use my real name as a brand like some fashion designers, but if I wanted to sell my jewelry in local stores that one would be useless.
By that time I was getting desperate because I wanted to design my logo, open my Etsy shop, publish in social media, etc.
Later, I started to join words and a friend of mine asked me to use my last name, so I thought I could join craft and tegui (the last letters from my last name Urióstegui) and voilà I wrote it down and ask all my friends for their opinion and they loved it, plus there was NOTHING with that name on internet and it was a one word name and easy to remember... so that way is how I created Craftegui.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I use to be a quilter and used tons of fabrics and became addicted to the purchase of such stuff. Ha Ha Since I am now 80 years young I don't need all the fabrics that I have left which is about the same amount as I started with. LOL I opened an Etsy shop and hope to sell off some of it before I meet my maker. I have done fairly well since I opened my shop but told my daughter to pile the rest of it that does not sell in the crematory with me and then I will be the one that dies with the most fabric. Now that's my story and I'm stickin to it!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Well it's not super professional but the truth...

Its a tattoo. Like as soon as I turned 18 I went and got the word Untamed tattoo on my hip. I was going into military in a few weeks and in my head it was last childish act, a reminder of my "Wild" days (alas they where Not the last as I still had a ton of growing up to do....and honestly nothing really has tamed me. Im just way more adult about not following rules now ;) Sure plent of other artist here can relate ) I added several roses to the words a year or two after that while in Sicily. Just b/c I love roses, and I thought the word didnt look right alone so it got a big full blossom and some buds added to it.

Years after that I was trying to come up with a company name....and I was going to sell Roses...tons of roses had come up with design all by myself as a baby glass worker and was very proud of it(course it's changed over time they are much larger, better now. And my line up has changed not just roses anymore)
Plus Born in fire and chaos, pain and beauty.....what could be more Untamed.

So a Tattoo became a company name......
https://www.etsy.com/listing/124911913/red-glass-rose-long-stemmed-glass-flower?ref=shop_home_active...

I think it fits :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My shop name is cottageshack. I love the shabby chic decor and I saw some "she sheds" in a magazine and said to my husband "those are the cutest little cottage shacks"................... hence "cottageshack", and that is all I sell is cottage chic items. Come visit anytime! Ann
0 Likes

My shop is named austramora. Austra is my grandmother's name. She was a passionate knitter and the best grandmother on the world. Austra in my language ,Latvian, means "daybreak". Mora is the part of my last name Moralesa.
0 Likes
HopeAndGracePens
Inspiration Seeker

Hope and Grace are parts of my daughters' names. Trying to chip away at college funds and hope as they get older they'll help Dad out in the workshop.
0 Likes

I wanted something completely and utterly random to make people double take, and that It would be likely to be the first results in Google :)
0 Likes

Research research - well that didn't do anything for me & in the end, you will find I didn't research enough!

I have small gift items & wrote down about 20 some names I absolutely LOVED! ALL of them were taken. A few days later, I was speaking to someone in a grocery store and I really didn't want to go into detail (newbie mistake) about my business, & I said "Its just a little extra something " no big deal. Haha....so I worked with the spelling and rid of the extra "e" - there was the name.

Fast forward a few years (to 2014) & I find out that if you google "A Little Xtra or Extra Something", it takes you to a few compromising sites. But what to do? I have had this shop since 2008 and too many repeat customers both on and off nowadays for it to be a big deal. I am stuck with it for now. ;-/
0 Likes

My shop funds my education in astrophysics, so that's where space come from. pretty much everything I do requires a needle as a primary took, so that's where needle comes from. Overall it is really clever because of the Space Needle in Washington, but it has a really special meaning to me.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.