Hi teammates,

You guys have some super creative shop names that I love, but I often find myself wondering what the story behind them is. What do you like about your shop name? How does it relate to your business? Is there a funny anecdote behind it? Is it a pun? Is it a tribute to someone special to you? Did you have a different name before switching to your current one? How do you think customers interpret your name?

I'll go first. I got the name Sassafras from a good friend of mine who always called me Sassafras when I said anything that was a little snarky. I also have a passion for botany, so a plant name just felt like a perfect fit for me.

Now it's your turn. Share your stories and thoughts in this thread!

Re: What's the story behind your shop name?

I have always been 'Jan's Pantry' as a label on bakery items and homemade chocolates that I gave to friends over the years. So, when I decided (one year ago today 9/14) to make dollhouse miniature bakery items,,,the name change was easy. "JansPetitPantry" was born!!!!!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

my shop's name was born a bit accidentally :) one rough summer night, sitting on the toilet of one of the biggest night clubs of Budapest i was looking at the door and reading all those funny stuff people wrote on it. this sounds so stupid, but it's true. and then i saw this written on the door: 'it's like im f***in' cool, i kill casual'. 'ikillcasual', i thought it sounded pretty awesome and i'd use it for…well...something! :D by the time i already started taking drawing and graphic design classes (which was FYI the best decision, ever!) and in a coulpe of days the idea of an online shop with screenprints, linoprints, photographs, handmade notebooks and zines appeared in my head with this name :)
0 Likes

My shop name Feniks is related to the legendary story of Feniks the bird as a spirit, that comes out of the ashes...out of nothing. It was the story about me and my husband. We started our business out of nothing. All we had was enthusiasm, the passion and love to this kind of work. With thousands of hours, with discipline and patience we managed to stay in handcraft business for almost 19 years...and this year we found Etsy.
0 Likes

My shop name ~ IndyAndCleo is inspired by two of the most loved dogs EVER! .....Indiana Jones and Cleopatra..... wonderful Cavalier King Charles Spaniels ~ not only are they the inspiration for the shop name, but you can also see and purchase their individual portraits right in the shop! ❤
0 Likes

My dad's name was Terry and he taught me a lot about "doing more with less". So I took his "T" and added it to my name Angie to make TANGIE. Yep, trademarked :))
Everyday is my chance to honor my dad with every batch I make.
0 Likes
VintageEncore
Inspiration Seeker

This is so much fun - reading everyone's stories - from names that were agonized over - to one's that were accidents!
My shop name is meant to be taken literally.
It is a second chance for antique items that I find.
Or for re purposed items that I make, from vintage linens that I have collected over the years.
I love my "stage" logo and the "clapping hands" that approve this message!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Amo is what people have called me since high school :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I was born and raised in Japan, and some of my sweetest childhood memories involved going to the cherry blossom festival with my father each year. :)
0 Likes
ItsVera
Crafty Poster

I opened my shop with Exclusief By Vera, Exclusief being the Dutch word for exclusive. After a while, although I thought it was unique I thought it was too difficult for people to spell.
So it's now 'It's Vera", it's my jewellery, my name, easy to remember.
It's easy, it's jewellery, it's recycled metal, it's handmade...

And customers know who to message.
0 Likes

I decided out of the blue one day to learn how to knit! I was playing around with the stitches and created a small square. My cat, Angie, thought it was the coolest thing! She stole it from me, carried it halfway up the stairs, then proceeded to bounce around all over the place with it! I've never seen her so crazy! I decided to try a few "oddball" cat toys because I was still learning and couldn't make anything proper. They were a hit, so I thought I'd try a store! A couple of years later, I still haven't learned "proper knitting" but I'm having the time of my life creating weird things out of yarn and other materials for cats to play with. They love them, and I love seeing happy cats! The photo in my profile is Angie and I. If it weren't for her, I'm not sure I would have gotten the idea to open this store.
0 Likes

When I chose my name I based it on people who collect antique and vintage items. All vintage is at least being sold a second time and most collectors purchase on impulse. So we have SecondImpulse. I have been very happy with my choice and so have my buyers here on Etsy and outside Etsy.
0 Likes
KIVVERS
Post Crafter

"Kivvers" is a southern colloquial word for 'covers.' It's usually used to describe blankets, quilts, or bed covers but I like the word so much I decided to use it to describe my custom fitted book "covers." I even got it trademarked!
0 Likes

My shop is named after and dedicated to my son Kameron AKA Krab. He was 16 years old when he passed away in his sleep from heart failure. He is always missed and never forgotten and I hold him close with Krab Kakes.
0 Likes

Live in Normandy and sell kitchen stuff!!
0 Likes

because I love printable art... :D
0 Likes
PieceOfCakeHJ
Registered Buyer

I make miniature dessert jewelry so I chose 'Piece of Cake' because
a) it's literary one of my designs
b) it's not easy to do but because I like it so much, I make it look like a piece of cake!
0 Likes

My mother came up with mine! My name is Laura Mays so Lama comes from LAura MAys. When I'm out at craft shows I do hear a lot of "do you sell Llama yarn? or a snide giggle of "does she know she spelled llama wrong?' but if people get the chance to talk to me they think it's a fun name. Officially my brand has shifted to Invited by LamaWorks these days since I ditched knits and moved solely into invites.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Wow, what a great thread. Love the stories. BTW Sassafras is my favorite tea. But very hard to find. My grandfather always came up with some root in the spring, he would make it for us and said it was a spring tonic to clear all the heavy winter foods in our system.
Oh, My name, well about 6 years ago we started selling locally and have 2 booths in Co-Ops. I kept thinking of "something, Vintage", but played around with different versions. When I asked my son he said, "American Vintage" it sounded great and we both looked at each other and smiled. THAT was it. We decided to keep the name on all shops (Etsy) for our customers to find us. Thats my story! Thanks, Pru
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Initially, I lived on Vine St when I started my shop, and I wasn't sure what direction I would end up taking - I might sell handmade later, or cookies, or whatever! So I didn't want to pigeon hole myself with the name, so I went with Market. A few months after starting the shop, we moved, which made me feel better since I wasn't broadcasting my street name in my shop title any more.

I made an executive decision (lol) to not use the period after "St" just to simplify it and make it agree more with the various account usernames and web addresses. Of course, I spend all my time saying "Vine St Market, with no period after the St."
0 Likes

My shop name is inspired by my one and only son Cameron. I decided to add 'Jewelry Box' because my shop mostly consists of handmade jewelry items!
0 Likes
RedBracelet
Inspiration Seeker

RedBracelet is a luck symbol and also the theme piece So I was thrillred to name my shop RedBracelet
I have another site for telling the cameos story - Not commerce. I was hoping customers will click on the link to my shop after reading the explanations.
I called it LuckXurys.com
A combination between Luck and Luxury.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My products are inspired by the native people of Chihuahua, where I live.
We sell organic biodegradable socially responsible backpack, so Kawí means "planets or earth or mountain" in the Tarahumara culture.
0 Likes

I created the Hammered Edge Studio & Gallery in 1995 with the loving and enthusiastic support of my artist mother Joyce Wright. The name of the gallery came about one evening when we were brain-storming over a bit of red wine. A fascination of mine is the beautiful effect of hammering the edge of metal with the chisel end of a hammer to disrupt the surface and cause it to "bloom" like a soft ruffle. Voila: The Hammered Edge.
My brick and mortar shop of over twenty years is The Hammered Edge LLC Studio & Gallery. When I opened my Etsy shop I shortened it to HammeredEdgeStudio.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I used to have a group of girlfriends that called ourselves the Mimosas, because we were always wanting one ( the drink). So I came up with Mimosa Mornings because it's the perfect drink with brunch, and that's the perfect time to wear your favorite jewelry as well. And I love alliteration.
0 Likes

What a great thread! Love to read backgrounds about shops.
We had a list "a mile long" of different names. One day I was sewing and as usual I was listening to Jimmy Buffett and his song came on "License to Chill", and I just blurted out "Craft" instead of Chill. It just seemed to stick.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.