Hi teammates,

You guys have some super creative shop names that I love, but I often find myself wondering what the story behind them is. What do you like about your shop name? How does it relate to your business? Is there a funny anecdote behind it? Is it a pun? Is it a tribute to someone special to you? Did you have a different name before switching to your current one? How do you think customers interpret your name?

I'll go first. I got the name Sassafras from a good friend of mine who always called me Sassafras when I said anything that was a little snarky. I also have a passion for botany, so a plant name just felt like a perfect fit for me.

Now it's your turn. Share your stories and thoughts in this thread!
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: What's the story behind your shop name?

Our "Chief Executives" are rescue dogs, one of them is a Mountain Feist (cross between lab, greyhound and rat terrier, bred since Lincoln's time to hunt squirrels. We also support animal rescue with proceeds from our sales.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
LiftingTheDream
Inspiration Seeker

My shop name was inspired by a combination of my love for living a healthy, active lifestyle for our kids and Walt Disney's quote, "if you can dream it, you can do it". "Living the Dream" is a pretty common phrase and I'm a sucker for a good pun, so Lifting the Dream it became!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My chosen name 'Lady C' is my signature name, my motorcycle rider name, my nickname... Creation is due to the creative side in me. It's Lady C because it's distinctive and respectful so therefore I carry myself as a lady. 'C' because of my name Christina. My creation is mainly jewelry and wearable arts. My creations are personable to each client's desires because they are all one of a kind pieces, no mass producing a signature piece.
0 Likes

I make most of my jewels without clasp and easy to wear in many alternative ways. I like jewelry that women can wear in their own way to express their personal style. When I asked from a friend help about my shop name she suggested "JewelMe". I used this name for a long time. But when tried to register etsy "JewelMe" was not available. In order not to change everything and confuse my clients I added the word shop at the end. My concept was "shop online from JewelMe"
0 Likes

This is a fascinating thread! Thanks for starting it Tess!

My name comes from my son's name "Justice" and the Freedom I've been searching for to do my own thing. I was suffocating in Corporate America, working 70 hours a week, struggling to provide balance for my little man and never feeling fulfilled. I now get to thrift and sell Vintage and have all the Freedom to flex my business around my baby boo. Couldn't be happier!

Happy Selling Everyone!
0 Likes

My shop name came from the Southwest myth about "La Loba" found in the book "Women Who Run with the Wolves". La Loba is an old woman who wonders the desert to find bones. She then sings over the bones and brings them back to life. Stones are like the bones of the earth and I gather them from all over the world, sing over them, and bring them back to life in big, statement necklaces - and thus the name, "Jewels Of La Loba Studio". Since I started making these necklaces in Alaska, it seemed appropriate to use the Northwest Coast Tlingit symbol for the wolf and I was graciously granted permission by the Tlingits to do that.
0 Likes

it was no other name more to feature my lifestyle and shop as this :)

--- vintagefullhouse ---
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My sister and I have crafted together all of our lives. We began seed beading and wire working and quickly became bead addicts! The name of our shop just seemed perfect since we love beautiful beads and are so thankful that we aren't just sisters, but also best friends. What a blessing!

BeadifulSisters
Handcrafting beautiful jewelry one bead at a time
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I honestly don't really know why not to chose my shop name. My name is shannon, and everything in the shop is made by me, none for I don't like, so why not SimplyShannon.

I learn as I go and love it all and would wear it or wouldn't be in my shop.

SimplyShannon
0 Likes

Well, after 18 years of teaching, being a mom, running myself into a spin and needing to make a change before life got the better of me, I started this "hobby." I teach literature, love words and needed something that would resonate with my situation. Second Spring is from a quote by Albert Camus that can be interpreted differently, but to me it means that there is a second chance to see a whole new life after 40. So far so good. Hoping other women experience the same…"Autumn is a second spring, when every leaf is a flower."

Carrie
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello,
love reading all the stories they're awesome!
My shop name comes from my love of all things spacey especially Star Trek and Star Wars! I'm also a pastry chef and I adore making 3D cakes for my kids :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

How Landfill Dzine Fashioned Change

There are those who see problems, and those who see solutions. Landfill Dzine has been steadily working to fashion change, and the journey has tested the team’s tenacity, and creative abilities. When husband and wife duo, Josh and Heather Carpenter survey their line of sleek, upcycled selections, they see every step of the challenging journey that has led to this point.

According to Josh, “We had an idea, and we just kept going. Eventually we just broke through.”

It was a seemingly simple idea that set them on their course. The couple was riding high on the success of their recycling center, A & J Industrial, which had carved out a niche in the agricultural community. One of the major ingredients to their success, was their dedication to recycling almost anything. The couple was constantly trying to find new ways to process materials. But they were about to meet their match.

In 2009, they were approached by a large irrigation company, to do something with their lay-flat tubing. Due to the composition of lay-flat tubing, it is impossible to recycle. The couple took on the challenge, and began to brainstorm the possibilities. It was Heather who connected the dots between fashion and sustainability. The young solutioneer presented the idea of turning it into totes. Naturally, her husband chuckled at the image of her carrying a bag from the heavy material, but the idea was born, and began to foster in their minds. As they set about looking for ways to upcycle the material, a multitude of purposes were thrown around, including swing sets, and floor mats. Ultimately none of them seemed quite right.

In 2013, China’s Green Fence policy came into play, which made it difficult to ship any recycled goods overseas. This came as quite a blow to A & J recycling, which exported 90 percent of their business. They were dangerously close to being obsolete. While trying to find domestic mills, a farmer came to them with material that would be lucrative for them. The couple quickly agreed to take it, on one condition: They also had to accommodate a large amount of lay-flat tubing. The stakes were high, and the couple knew that the time had arrived to create the handbag line.

The first step was to approach handbag manufacturers in the US, with cut strips from the tubing. No one was interested. Around this time, a fortuitous Christmas party occurred. The couple had commissioned a manufacturer to make a tent for the party, and it struck them that the material that had been used, was similar to the makeup of lay-flat tubing. They went back to the manufacturer, and commissioned the bags. Thankfully, they said yes, and the first two bags were designed.

They then set about looking in the overseas market. Nobody would sew the heavy material. They received discouraging feedback. After being turned down by 40 manufacturers, they drew on their own reserves to continue. After all, they knew that this idea could boost their business and create a new paradigm in the recycling industry. Finally they convinced three manufacturers; Two in China, and one in Vietnam, through a fair trade agreement. The handmade bamboo bags are all a little different, just like the women whose lives are impacted by the boost in their income. Landfill Dzine had officially turned trash into trendy, finally answering the need for a way to upcycle lay-flat tubing. Truly dedicated to their cause, they began finding new purposes such as flip-flops, belts, and bracelets, (made from flip-flop scraps). The journey of repurpose had found its way.

According to Heather, “The bottom line is we just didn’t take no for an answer.”

“Saving the Planet one Dzine at a Time”™

Thank you for supporting our efforts in using reclaimed irrigation hoses that we diverted from landfills in California. You are purchasing our products knowing these hoses were once used in the fields of California to irrigate crops. All of our products will NOT look the same because these hoses were once used.

Please remember the way these hoses were manufactured makes them un-recyclable (Rubber, poly and nylon fibers all woven and blended together).

Please note the following may apply:

The material might look discolored (dark shots, light shots, different patterns, might have print/writing, might look used)
The material will look like cotton fibers are showing on the sides (it will look like it’s stringing, fraying etc. this is normal)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

How Landfill Dzine Fashioned Change

There are those who see problems, and those who see solutions. Landfill Dzine has been steadily working to fashion change, and the journey has tested the team’s tenacity, and creative abilities. When husband and wife duo, Josh and Heather Carpenter survey their line of sleek, upcycled selections, they see every step of the challenging journey that has led to this point.

According to Josh, “We had an idea, and we just kept going. Eventually we just broke through.”

It was a seemingly simple idea that set them on their course. The couple was riding high on the success of their recycling center, A & J Industrial, which had carved out a niche in the agricultural community. One of the major ingredients to their success, was their dedication to recycling almost anything. The couple was constantly trying to find new ways to process materials. But they were about to meet their match.

In 2009, they were approached by a large irrigation company, to do something with their lay-flat tubing. Due to the composition of lay-flat tubing, it is impossible to recycle. The couple took on the challenge, and began to brainstorm the possibilities. It was Heather who connected the dots between fashion and sustainability. The young solutioneer presented the idea of turning it into totes. Naturally, her husband chuckled at the image of her carrying a bag from the heavy material, but the idea was born, and began to foster in their minds. As they set about looking for ways to upcycle the material, a multitude of purposes were thrown around, including swing sets, and floor mats. Ultimately none of them seemed quite right.

In 2013, China’s Green Fence policy came into play, which made it difficult to ship any recycled goods overseas. This came as quite a blow to A & J recycling, which exported 90 percent of their business. They were dangerously close to being obsolete. While trying to find domestic mills, a farmer came to them with material that would be lucrative for them. The couple quickly agreed to take it, on one condition: They also had to accommodate a large amount of lay-flat tubing. The stakes were high, and the couple knew that the time had arrived to create the handbag line.

The first step was to approach handbag manufacturers in the US, with cut strips from the tubing. No one was interested. Around this time, a fortuitous Christmas party occurred. The couple had commissioned a manufacturer to make a tent for the party, and it struck them that the material that had been used, was similar to the makeup of lay-flat tubing. They went back to the manufacturer, and commissioned the bags. Thankfully, they said yes, and the first two bags were designed.

They then set about looking in the overseas market. Nobody would sew the heavy material. They received discouraging feedback. After being turned down by 40 manufacturers, they drew on their own reserves to continue. After all, they knew that this idea could boost their business and create a new paradigm in the recycling industry. Finally they convinced three manufacturers; Two in China, and one in Vietnam, through a fair trade agreement. The handmade bamboo bags are all a little different, just like the women whose lives are impacted by the boost in their income. Landfill Dzine had officially turned trash into trendy, finally answering the need for a way to upcycle lay-flat tubing. Truly dedicated to their cause, they began finding new purposes such as flip-flops, belts, and bracelets, (made from flip-flop scraps). The journey of repurpose had found its way.

According to Heather, “The bottom line is we just didn’t take no for an answer.”

“Saving the Planet one Dzine at a Time”™

Thank you for supporting our efforts in using reclaimed irrigation hoses that we diverted from landfills in California. You are purchasing our products knowing these hoses were once used in the fields of California to irrigate crops. All of our products will NOT look the same because these hoses were once used.

Please remember the way these hoses were manufactured makes them un-recyclable (Rubber, poly and nylon fibers all woven and blended together).

Please note the following may apply:

The material might look discolored (dark shots, light shots, different patterns, might have print/writing, might look used)
The material will look like cotton fibers are showing on the sides (it will look like it’s stringing, fraying etc. this is normal)
0 Likes

the first name I wanted to use was Eve; that was my signature when I attended my fashion stylist academy.
But all the interesting names with Eve where already taken.
I was in a hurry to open my Etsy shop and so I decided to use Micettes.

Micettes has been the first nickname my hubby gave me, just at the beginning of our relationship. 'Micetta' means kitten in Italian; we were in France and he changed it to Micettes.

I did not want to use 'Micettesjewelry' because I am always hoping to widen my offer with other handmade items and so I opted for Micettesgarden.

Now I'd found another name that would be perfect, but first I have to finish all my business cards...
0 Likes
3buu
Post Crafter

Hello Tess
"3buu" Is a brand that encompasses different aspects of my art work, here in Etsy, especially 3buu = "tribute" to the Great Artist J.M.Basquiat, 3buu = EcoFrendly Tribal Bracelets and ... more soon ... Finally I chose this name for the sound that procures when you read 3buu! ahh ahh!
thanks Carolina
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Here is our story- we are Americans living in Israel. English is our native tongue so sometimes we struggle with daily tasks in Hebrew. Our landlord at some point sent us an e-mail with some word that looked sort of like coolmoose to me. I had no idea what it was but we liked the sound of it and thought it would make a great name for a brand. We really thought it would be a good name for a hummus company (the pronunciation in Hebrew rhymes), but since we don't make hummus and make jewelry it became Cool Moose Jewelry :)
0 Likes

Once upon a time in a far-away land there lived a young girl. Although she was mostly happy, she felt a little lost and confused, and one summer, wanted to set out in search for a new adventure.
One day, she received a letter from her best friend, who lived a long way away and invited her to come to stay for a while. In the letter, her best friend said that she read her magic cards and they predicted that she was going to fall in love with a special, handsome young man, and spend the rest of her life with him.
The young girl really liked her best friend, and looked forward to seeing her. However, she didn’t really believe in the cards.
And so the young girl wrote back to her friend. She told her what day she would arrive, and because she didn’t know how to get to her friend’s house, they arranged to meet in the town square.
Early one morning her journey began. It was a long trip to her friend’s house, taking her to new places, meeting new people, and even discovering new languages.

On the day that the young girl was due to reach the town, her friend waited patiently for her, but as dusk began to fall, she decided that it was too dangerous to wait, and returned home, as the night creatures would soon roam the streets

The young girl had got lost, and arrived when night had fallen, and the full moon was at its highest. She was hungry and tired and her friend was nowhere to be seen. If only she knew how to get to her friend’s home. Asking for help was impossible, as the whole town was awash with night creatures. These were poor lost souls, reaching out their hands to touch the girl.

She was very frightened, and didn’t not what to neither do or feel, so she just closed her eyes and hoped it would all go away. As she opened them, through the crowd, she spotted a young man. His hair was black, his skin was glowing brown and his eyes spoke to her like nothing she had ever felt before.

The young man was the one that her friend had spoken about. They both walked towards each other as their eyes engaged. A smile broke on their faces, and as the sun began to glow through the darkness, they both knew that this was the first day of many to come.
It was the day that east met west , black met white , love met passion , man met woman and the seed that was born out of this love story that started in a far-away land a long time ago is today, called TRIBU .
0 Likes

My shop's name is pretty simple to figure out.. I live in the country in Vermont and the "Notion" part is whatever I have a "notion" to make that day! ;)
I suffered a little "crafter's burnout" a few years back when all I knew for art or crafts was painting.Taking too many custom orders in too short a time proved my downfall. Tough lesson learned! I promised myself then and there, if I ever got my crafty mojo back I would never only do just one type of craft again! So far, it's working for me, I LOVE working a variety of crafts from crochet to painting to everything in between!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi everyone! I love that question! It took me a while to come up with my shop name but I knew I wanted it to have a heart in it (you can see it in my banner) in honor of my daughter, Kera, who is in heaven. I also wanted it to honor my other daughter, Hannah (they are twins), who motivates me every day to do my best and make each day count. So that is how the name MotivatedTanksNTees came about.
I love all the other stories.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have loved reading this thread and seeing everyone's creative process. My story is not as exciting, CountryfiedCharm came about from my love of country life. There is a true charm in the country. Sassing up the "countryfied" came from an incident that happened to my mother. She was at her hairdressers one day and also Paula Dean who was promoting her restaurant to go in the new casino built close to town. As she left in her limo all the ladies ran out to the curb trying to get a glimpse of her. My mom, of course was draped, foiled and color in process but she was not going to miss seeing Ms Dean. As the limo went past them the window came down. Ms Paula Dean herself pointed to mom and said " she is gettin BEAUTIFIED like me! ". Since I like the southern charm and the country, CountryfiedCharm just seemed the perfect fit.
0 Likes

I picked the name for 2 reasons....They represent my fur babies that are now gone, and because my hair is pale baby blond so I am an ivory cat as well.
0 Likes

When I was opening this my second shop in 2010, I decided that I was NOT going to spend an eternity trying to come up with a name that was catchy, short, easy to remember and looked good in lettering!

I thought on it only a short while (for me a miracle!) and came up with Prue, short for Prudence which I believe is an English name, so I shortened it to Pru that I liked a little better. Atelier is a workroom in French.
0 Likes

I forgot to mention that I needed a picture of "Pru" that would give an old-fashioned feeling to the name, so I used a great image from a 1914 Town and Country magazine cover, grayed it down a bit as I wanted to used grays in my wrapping and ribbon, and so I stylized it!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Inspired by the song "My Favorite Things" from The Sound Of Music. Was contemplating a few songs for consideration and couldn't get that song out of my head. I guess it was my calling 🌹🌹
0 Likes
Wrapntwist
Inspiration Seeker

I started my shop because instead of selling other's work ( perfume, makeup, decor) I decided I could sell my own creations doing what I like to do.
The name WrapnTwist comes from wrapping and twisting yarn as I crochet. My name has changed once but WrapnTwist is catchier I think.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.