Hi teammates,

You guys have some super creative shop names that I love, but I often find myself wondering what the story behind them is. What do you like about your shop name? How does it relate to your business? Is there a funny anecdote behind it? Is it a pun? Is it a tribute to someone special to you? Did you have a different name before switching to your current one? How do you think customers interpret your name?

I'll go first. I got the name Sassafras from a good friend of mine who always called me Sassafras when I said anything that was a little snarky. I also have a passion for botany, so a plant name just felt like a perfect fit for me.

Now it's your turn. Share your stories and thoughts in this thread!
TheBlueChicken
Inspiration Seeker

Re: What's the story behind your shop name?

I was trying to come up with a shop name, without success. Sitting around with the family one night they were trying to help me and I saw the folk art chicken we had picked up on a recent trip to New Mexico and said "It can be anything, even the blue chicken." My kids loved it and proceeded to draw a bunch of pictures one of which became my logo. Also, we have chickens one being a Blue Americana.
I've been having fun reading everyone's comments. :)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Mine came from a show I watched when I was a kid."The Little Rascals". There was a character named STYMIE, and when it was time to name this shop, I knew it would always make me smile..and five years later, it still does.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ours is pretty simple one, though unless you know our last name, it's not super straight forward.

My husband and I live in a vintage camper and travel around with our Etsy shop. Our last name is Noffsinger, so we lovingly call our camper "Noff House," as well as our blog and shop, just to keep things all under one name :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My shop name is WhiteMariposa I wanted something that represents both my nationalities. I'm Cuban and Vietnamese. The WhiteMariposa flower is native to both Cuba and Vietnam. WhiteMariposa means white butterfly. My shop icon is the flower if you want to check it out.
0 Likes

I wish I had a funny story…just my last name and fine art. Boring??
0 Likes
InspiredbyCotton
Inspiration Seeker

I found it really hard to come up with a name that wasn't taken already. I mostly make baby items but didn't want a name that would restrict me to that if I decided to branch out in the future. So in the end I just wrote down everything to do with my business and came up with - Inspired by Cotton :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am really bad with naming things, so I asked my friend for help.
She came up with the name Dream Corridor and together we set up the explanation of that name and posted it on my etsy profile :

Every piece of jewelry I make is a different door in this Corridor (shop), different inspiration, a different world reflected into a small piece of jewelry.
0 Likes

My shop name was the nick name my dad gave me when I was little, my name is Nula and he used to call me noolibird. I have loads of stamps of birds so it kind of fits.
0 Likes
SheepInStitches
Inspiration Seeker

Hi, I'm new to the team so a good chance to intro myself. My shop is called Sheep in Stitches and it came about because I am a working shepherd with a flock of 350 sheep and I make crafts from the wool from our flock and embroidered items in a sheep theme, although I have branched out into other animals as well as flowers and other nature/farm related themes.

I always get people asking me if sheep are as stupid as they are made out to be which is so wrong! I always tell them that sheep are flock animals so they work as a flock, but when you isolate a sheep from the rest of the group, it has to think for itself and it's real intelligence comes out.
I also think sheep have a pretty wicked sense of humour and I imagine them sitting around in the field, cracking jokes and laughing so hard about the completely dumb things humans do that they end up "in stitches"...and so the name came about :0)
0 Likes

Small World Dreams evolved from our lodge we had in Harare Zimbabwe, called Small World Backpackers. My husband and I spent many years travelling before settling back in Zimbabwe and opening a lodge.
Small World Dreams harks back to my African home and reminds me that the world is a small place and we all have dreams :)
0 Likes

Hi I'm new to this Team and I love this thread - its been fascinating reading how people come up with their names.

Little Nannies soaps refers to my grandma who was known as Little Nanny. I remember her as a child always smelling of Lavender as old leadies used to back in the 1970's. As I also use goats milk in my soaps I thought it would make a good name. The image on the branding is my own Little Nanny.
0 Likes

I have discovered there are several shops with the name "Homegrown" attached to some qualifier, so mine is not unique. It is personal, however. After years of working in an office as a graphic designer, and then moving into a home office with the same job, I now work completely on my own with my art work, and I take over the entire house to do it, it seems. Without a designated studio, I paint at the kitchen counter and work with old books and scraps of paper at the breakfast table and keep my tools in the laundry room, all the while watching an old movie casting shadows on the family room. At the end of my work time, I clean up as if I'd never been there.

I also find some of my materials from my own front yard and cannibalize books from my own shelves. So, my shadowboxes are all very homegrown.
0 Likes

Hello! So my shop is called House of Bats because of my nickname, Anna Bat. When I was younger I was quite the velvet-clad goth, and had a rather beautiful floor length black velvet and tuile coat that I wore all the time. It used to flow behind me when I walked, making me look like an oversized bat! My friends called me Anna Bat and the name stuck. When opening my store, I wanted a name that reflected the gothic/alternative influences in my jewellery, but was also personal to me. House of Bats seemed to fit, and I love it!
0 Likes
IckyChicDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

How did I come up with the name, IckyChic? I'm so glad you asked. A few years ago I was browsing some booths at a local craft show when a young girl next to me picked up an item, and turning to her mother she said, "It's kind-of Icky." Her mother's reply was, "But isn't it Chic?" So I have to thank this unknown mother and daughter for the inspiration that resulted in the name of my shop.

This same situation reinforced a truth that all artisans must understand. Much to our dismay, not everyone will like our designs or creations. However, if we design or create what we love, there will be some who feel that same emotion when viewing our creations. That aspect is why I love to SHOP HANDMADE!
0 Likes
MushyP
Post Crafter

The name of my shop came up when we (my husband and I) were driving to London for a lovely weekend.

For my business I wanted a name that reflects the fact that 1) it is for children, 2) it is made in England, 3) I am French and 4) I love Japan.
I initially thought about "Moshi Moshi" which means ‘Allo’ when answering the phone in Japanese but then this didn't suggest it is from a French maker, made in England and for children...so I thought about Petit MushyP!

"Petit" for children (of course!), "P" after MushyP for the initial of my name (Perrine), MushyP because I went to a pub with an American friend and while looking at the menu she asked me what Mushy Peas was... so I thought mushy peas must be SO British!!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My shop name Serendipity Photography is a combination of few things in my work. Serendipity means "pleasant surprise" which I try to achive with my photographs. Serendip was also a name for Sri Lanka where my husband is from, who is my inspiration and motivation in my work.
0 Likes

I really liked reading about people's shop names! I had a hard time thinking of a name for mine, so when I went to Ireland on vacation I liked the way the fuchsia bushes grew on the side of the road instead of in pots like we have here and I love flowers in general! So I tried to think of a catchy name that would allow me to sell various artistic products if I ever changed my mind about selling jewelry which I do now, and have the flower name too. I ended up naming my other three shops after flowers also- Cyclamen Studio, Lobelia Bidelia and Violet and Verbena.
0 Likes

Hi eveyone!!! :)
The idea for the name of the shop came from my name Tasos!
The initial of my name is T and "asos" in Greek means ace,
so came the idea for TACE!
Hope love and peace to all of you!!!
0 Likes

I've always enjoyed a variety of crafts and didn't want to limit myself to one area so I decided to use spirit in the name to take me wherever the Spirit led me. Thus, RaesSpirit was born. In order to have a more cohesive shop, I narrowed my focus to Christian and artistic jewelry. Now I am loving where the Spirit is leading me!
0 Likes

My Shop is named Lucina K. after my Grandmother. She did quilting, painting, ceramics and even cooking with her was art. As a child she was the most creative person I knew and time with Grandma was always an adventure. She passed away when I was in high school but she left behind many wonderful pieces signed "Lucina K."
0 Likes

Scratchesandwires comes from engraved glass and bent wires. We engrave flat glass or vessels, hence Scratches and we bend wire into two dimensional sculptures that can be laid up on dark velvet under glass with a frame, or hung without on a dark wall or from the ceiling. "Bruno is Angry" is in our logo. Engraving is by hand with a diamond tip, scratch after loving scratch.
0 Likes
AZCindy
Inspiration Seeker

Azcindy came about because I was a buyer under that name and started selling Vintage. Fairly simple, my name is Cindy living in Prescott,Arizona. So glad I started selling here--I have deslt with such nice buyers and sellers.
0 Likes

My shop is named Forsythia Hill because I can see the yellow Forsythia shrub out every window or doorway in my house that sits on the only hill on our street. It's such a vibrant and bright color and makes me think of Spring. It's our given name for our property where my Etsy shop operates. I'm a huge plant lover and collector.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

"Skirkbucket" is what my Dad would call me when I was in trouble as a kid. I like the sound of it, so I tacked "Studio" on the end and adopted it as my business name.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

What a fun thread. My art has a lot of color and whimsy built in. People who follow my art have always said things like "It would be so wonderful to live in Bethville!" It stuck. I had a show client tell me one time that she thought someone told a joke and my colorful buildings were laughing. I have always loved how my art evokes that response.

By the way, it is pretty fun living in my world... "Bethville". :)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.