Hi teammates,

You guys have some super creative shop names that I love, but I often find myself wondering what the story behind them is. What do you like about your shop name? How does it relate to your business? Is there a funny anecdote behind it? Is it a pun? Is it a tribute to someone special to you? Did you have a different name before switching to your current one? How do you think customers interpret your name?

I'll go first. I got the name Sassafras from a good friend of mine who always called me Sassafras when I said anything that was a little snarky. I also have a passion for botany, so a plant name just felt like a perfect fit for me.

Now it's your turn. Share your stories and thoughts in this thread!

Re: What's the story behind your shop name?

I am a vintage lover especially anything related to a wedding. I also love the "peony" flower so I put two words "Timeless" respresents those timeless pieces of a wedding especially on the vintage/vintage inspired side and the flower.

So nice to hear how others came up with their names! Thank you all for sharing!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

My shop is called CCsSoapinAPouch because I make handmade pouches for my soaps and CC are my initials. I love sewing and have tons of fabric, so when I started making soap I thought it would be a good idea to make pouches for them. The pouches can be used for many different things after customers have used the soap. They can be used as a coin purse, a pouch to keep small craft items in and many other uses.
0 Likes

At first my shop name was Noname's winkeltje - but I came to the obvious conclusion that it was too difficult especially cause it is a Dutch name - So I thought it best to choose another one and since my work is about seed beads I meant to put seedbeady, but made a mistake and named it Seadbeady - but I actually liked it more that way and kept it like that :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My maiden name is Stagg. When I was much younger, hanging out my sister and friends, they would call us Stagg Squared. I feel like it doesn't really explain the items I sell but I like it. :)
0 Likes
reVetro
Post Crafter

reVetro in Italian translates to re glass. Simply said, we repurpose glass beverage bottles into new, eco products -- jewelry and home decor. Always evolving, our line of eco glass products keeps growing with time.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Me and my husband were joking around about what we should call the shop. It's his aunt and the vintage stuff comes from her house so we called it Aunt Kay's Attic and it stuck.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Cool idea BTW, asking people where they came up with their shop names.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Gone with the Wind is my favorite film - and I design printables for dessert tables - so it became "Sweet Scarlet Designs".
0 Likes

Should be obvious, I make pottery.
0 Likes

When Melissa was a baby, my husband called her Missapookie, we shortened it to Pookie, and Jack was her beloved cat who passed away too soon
0 Likes

I love this thread! Rokatree, used to be Attie's Attic, however when moving forward with my business I found it was taken on ebay. I wanted something unique and that was not being used. I am a lover a nature and always about saving the trees since I was in grade school. Hence the tree.

My parents passed away 1-1 1/2 years ago, 6 months apart from each other and it turned my world upside down. I decided life's too short, time to do what I love, designing and crochet! My parents were from Europe and I'm a first generation American. All the cool French (where my mom was from) names were being used for other businesses so I decided to use something Hungarian, where my dad was from. Roka mean fox. Fox tree, Roka Tree Designs!

I hope through perseverance, my company will grow and it can be a full time gig so I can spend more time with my family, living life on my terms and not for a corporation. Cheers, too living life the fullest!!

etsy.com/rokatree
0 Likes

Sweet Cedar Jewelry Design was founded in 2009. Cedar is the name of one of my four dogs. She is also incredibly sweet so I often call her Sweet Cedar. Jewelry making was just one of my hobbies and the sport of dog agility was the other. I made a pair of dog paw earrings, wore them to a dog agility competition, and my fellow competitors wanted to buy them. My jewelry hobby suddenly turned in a business! It made sense that since I'm known for my line of dog lovers jewelry, that my business be named after a dog! Cedar joins me at any fine art shows that will allow her to be there. She is the most amazing art ambassador and crowd schmoozer I've ever seen!
0 Likes

Fun thread - I just read 12 pages!

My shop name NeatoKeen is a old-fashioned, kind of corny way of saying something is great or "cool". I'm an old-fashioned, kind of corny gal, so it seemed to fit. When I find vintage items that I think will suit my shop aesthetic, I still say "neatokeen"!
0 Likes

My name is Anna. The name WIIGORA is juncture from the activity of the shop and characters from the names of my two sons, only the first character represents a symbol for wool products.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/Wiigora
0 Likes

Great thread, I often wonder too about shop names and where they came from. There are soooo many great shop names here it's so cool to see and now read some of the stories behind them.

My shop name Koolnecks Accessories, came from a prior endeavor I had. I loved to knit and crochet, and primarily scarves. I started having the idea that it would be great to open a business, so i put a spin on the word "Cool" instead of a C a K. When I started learning how to make jewelry, I still had a love and attachment to the name and decided to open my Etsy shop under the names Koolnecks and just add the Accessories part to be a little more descriptive. I have tossed around some other ideas since then in my head but I always come back to my Koolnecks Accessories, lol.
0 Likes
Banba
Inspiration Seeker

I have always been interested in Celtic mythology. Banba is an Irish goddess. Since I make Celtic jewelry, it seemed a good fit. 😊
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My shop is named after me because I'm an artist and that made sense at the time. However, my dad came up with my name: Krislyn by taking his name Lin and my mom's name Chris to form Krislyn.
0 Likes

I drew a cat in a square frame, like a portrait or polaroid photo, and it looked a bit... stupid! This was way back in 2001, and the name stuck. Still drawing cats in small square frames and they still look a bit stupid! :-)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

In my first Etsy shop I had a RockThePepRally spiritwear section. Whenever I wrote a thank you note for spiritwear purchases - I said "Rock The Pep Rally!" So then as that section grew, I decided to give that jewelry line a shop with the name so I could have 10 more sections to better organize it. What started out as paw print necklaces and pom pom rings has blossomed into sports, team gifts, dance & more. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm loving this!

My shop name is a combination of several loves. I have been collecting heart shaped rocks since I was a little girl and I have a passion for God's Word. In the Bible story of David and Goliath, David defeated the giant with a stone. Jesus resisted the devil with the Word of God. So, I think of God's Word as the rocks I carry in my pocket to defend myself, thus "Heart Rocks in my Pocket". My shop bears the same name as my blog, where I share my love for all things old, vintage and with a rich history. I always include "a heart rock for your pocket" which is a scripture to encourage. In my shop, I follow suit with vintage items and will adding handcrafted items using recycled vintage pieces very soon. I've only recently opened, but I'm loving the sense of community here.
0 Likes
korneliaShop
Inspiration Seeker

My name is Karolien and the name of my jewelry brand is "kornelia".

My mom actually wanted to call me Amelia when I wasn't born yet, but my dad didn't really liked it :)
Although I'm really happy with my own first name, I always liked "Amelia" because I think it sounds nice and because it was the name of my great-grandmother.
I also like words that start with a "k",
"kornelia" was one of the words that came out when I was just playing with the letters of my first name;
it has all the letters of my first name in PLUS sounds like Amelia PLUS starts with a "k" -> So that's why I fell in love with the name kornelia and used it as the name for my brand. After 3,5years of business, a lot of people really think that my first name is kornelia, so often, when I walk on the street I hear someone say "Hallo Kornelia!" :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I agree- this has been SO fun to read through!!

My Shop Name is Stached Polish. My husband is a bearded man, so we always joke about his 'stache. Also, in the indie nail polish world, there are a lot of girls with rather large stashes that they keep and display, or that they even try to hide from their significant other... haha. It's very fun to me, and mustaches can be such a cute accent. In fact, a mustache is my bottle label! :)
0 Likes

These are some great shop names and stories. I especially like stupidcats. Lol! Cracks me up.

My story is quite simple. My husband loves the color orange and his birthday is in September, (today actually), hence the name OrangeSeptember. I thought it sounded better than RobinsEggBlueJuly! Ha!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Cool thread...very unique and creative thinkers out there...
there are a few reasons my shop's name is "eleveno2" and it starts with the day I was born November 2nd aka day of the dead which is also why you'll find a day of the dead section in my shop.

I also wanted to incorporate the number 11 because I see that number EVERYWHERE EVERYDAY most times on the clock and alot of those times are 11:11 even in clocks that are not set to the right time. There's a whole world of mystery of what all that means which I wont get into here but I will say this.....
11 to me signifies balance "el even" and my shop originated with mostly earrings which also signify balance, now I have all sorts of thingy things but balance is the mission :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Wow, Just looked at the clock and its 11:11... and thats what I mean synchronicity
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.