Hi there,

Making my first sale to a complete stranger was such an indescribable feeling. Up until then, all of my customers had been friends or family members. As soon as I saw the order, I immediately texted my best friend and then rushed to ship the item out.

How did you make your first sale to a stranger? I’m working on a potential article for the Seller Handbook, and I want to hear from you. Was there a turning point in your shop that led to it? Maybe you had an epiphany about how to shoot better product photos or perhaps you revamped your titles and tags. Or maybe you changed course and started selling a new product. Whatever the change, big or small, tell us about what led to your first sale.

If I’m interested in learning more about your experience, I’ll reach out to you directly. Excited to hear your stories and tips!

Thanks y’all,
Tess

Re: How did you make your first sale?

Another lovely Etsy seller, serene fuschia, had seen my jewellery and put some of my pieces in a treasury she had made. The next think, she had ordered a pair of earrings all the way from the USA - and she left a lovely review! Up until then, all my sales had been to people I knew or because of links made by friends. So however things go in my shop, serene fuschia will always be special as my first ever unsolicited, no previous contact sale. Since then, I've had some more sales to people I don't know and it's lovely to think of others wearing my unique jewellery! 😊
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi!
My first sale was my sister lol. I haven't sold to a stranger yet but fingers crossed that it will happen soon, but I'll tell you about my sister sale. My brand is a bit edgy and my sister is not, so I was very surprised. The shirt she bought was one of the calmer shirts I sell. It felt so great to make something knowing it was intended for someone else. Every part of it was exciting including packaging for shipping! A few days later she shared a photo on her Instagram feed wearing the shirt and tagged SlanderINK. No words for how great it is when someone shares your product! :)
0 Likes

I have uploaded digital downloadable Preschool worksheets and it was by the mid of January and planning to upload more,  no sales as yet  and waiting patiently for a sale... 

I am working on some more digital projects like kids drawing pages, worksheets, activity pages, planners, wall arts, text dividers, inspirational life quotes and some more stuff....

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Still waiting...
0 Likes

I always love crafting,DIY projects. Couple of month back I made one polymer clay bottle lamp and share picture on a Facebook group. One person asked me that he liked it very much and he want to buy it. That was my first sale.Now i have 31 product listing but that elephant lamp is still very special to me.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello!

My first sale was of a set of gift wrap . I was cleaning house when I heard the "cha-ching" from my phone. I was in disbelief and I rushed over to check my account and lo and behold, there was my first sale. The buyer was a good friend of mine (that also runs an Etsy shop)!

My first non-friend sale was also surprising and so exciting! It was also for gift wrap, from someone in Portland. I was so nervous as I packed the order that I took forever - it felt like hours before I finished checking and re-checking to make sure everything was just perfect.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I was able to get my first sale relatively soon after I really started posting items in my shop but since then, it hasn't happened again. My buyer also didn't leave a review which was unfortunate for me. I am still trying to find more ways to get sales.
0 Likes
modestly
Crafty Poster

I joined a local team wand went to a meet up. That encouraged me to join further teams and promote myself via them. Once a few orders were taken, the repeat business came in. I am fairly niche, so will never sell volume but as there is only me and all my books and cards are handmade, I couldn't cope with hundreds of orders all at once!
1 Like
Hishuk
Crafty Poster

Hi!
I am Cleo from Athens, sunny Greece, new member in this team.

I started my shop in the end of last October and it took me some time to see how things work here... After I made a better shop set up, my first sale came unexpectedly on Mars.

I was reaaaaaly excited because I sold one of my favorite bags!

What makes that sale so special is that I exchanged about 50 messages with the client, because of the problems of the first sale you know..., full of friendliness I did not expect!

A perfect start! :)

Thank you!
Cleo
0 Likes

Just opened my shop about a month ago so still waiting for my first sale. I live in Brittany France and am starting to buy Vintage French items plus making Rustic lamps and blackboards.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just opened up my Etsy shop and I keep thinking that I wont ever get a sale, it is sort of discouraging. Although after reading everyone's comments I have hope and I will just keep being patient.
0 Likes

It's been a while since my first sale. I don't actually recall the details. But as encouragement to new Etsy sellers. Keep trying! I am working in my shop every day, adding new listings, tweaking the ones I have, and promoting on different platforms. Sales have slowly, but steadily increased over time. Yours can too ~ it just takes work.
1 Like
HopeAndGracePens
Inspiration Seeker

I was getting comfortable crafting pens and finished a lovely red padauk Celtic knot in a white holly pen. A friend offered to try to sell it for me and returned in 15 minutes with the cash. He said the client looked at about a dozen or so and picked mine up immediately. I was blown away!
0 Likes

My first SALE on the Etsy Shop was a portrait to Audrey HEPBURN.
1 Like
TiaTickles
Inspiration Seeker

I had to go back and Look... Love it 11/27/2010 I sold
" Acorn Caps without Nuts " i had not a clue about Etsy..
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Still waiting for my first sale to a stranger..

Enjoying reading everyone's stories and tips. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello there!

My first sale happened to a stranger and I had to ship the Item from Germany to USA. It is still shipping.. :´( I can not believe this is taking so much time.. I hope evereything will go right.. But I am still nervous about it and checking daily the tracking number.... So lets hope the best..

I have decided for myself to make it public to all my friends after this first sale happened! I just want to prove to myself that the idea of an online shop is a good one!

Wish you all the best!

Natalija
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

still waiting on my first purchase! I can't wait <3
0 Likes
CatleafPaperCo
Inspiration Seeker

I've been working really hard to properly take advantage of SEO and market my shop, using all the tricks I know from my day job (marketing content writer). So I researched how to title and tag my listings, set up and promote my social presence, and create related blog content.

For all I know, my sale was from a friend of a friend or something, but it's nice to think that maybe all that work helped!
0 Likes

Hello! I am brand new to selling on Etsy. (I've purchased many great items on Etsy over the years) I opened my shop last week and cannot wait until my first sale. Looking forward to learning from all you amazing veteran sellers!
0 Likes
Jularee
Crafty Poster

When I was growing up and we were in the car, we would ask my dad where we were going and he would say, "to Kalamazoo!"

Funny that my first sale on Etsy was to Kalamazoo! LOL.
0 Likes

I opened my shop after attending NYC craft entrepreneur program last year. I had only one thing in my shop and slowly started adding more things. I didn't do any promoting, except telling family about my shop. Then I opened a Facebook page linking my shop and shorty after I opened an account for Instagram. I guess that helped because I got my first sell to a total stranger! I was so excited, I got my product ready and shipped it as soon as possible. I contacted the buyer as soon as I sent the package and thanked her when I saw that she received the package.
0 Likes
ANenaJewelry
Inspiration Seeker

It's a very interesting the way I made my first sale. I had just opened ANena Jewelry on Etsy and I was walking into my son's school and one of the teachers asked me where she could buy those earrings. I thanked her and told her that I made them. She was my first sale offline. That week I made $300 from all of the staff. It was unbelievable.
0 Likes
AdornDC
Crafty Poster

I had test opened my shop in 2013 and for the next three years basically did nothing. I posted one or two items and that was it. Last summer I started listing, learning, watching, and waiting. Meantime I would struggle with seo, photos, posting more items etc...As time went by I would marvel at getting visits from all around the world. Every time someone would like a listing it reinforced my confidence. It was just slow and steady. My attitude was that even though I wasn't getting sales, people were able to see my work, and that was wonderful. I felt and still feel that my audience is out there. I have built it and they will come.
Out of the blue about six months later there was the first sale. It was a raw moonstone pendant necklace bought by a woman in Canada. (I'm in USA). It was a fun turn of event, especially since that was a favorite piece. So while last year was a silent learning period, this year has been more busy by comparison. While it could be busier, it's slowly picking up. My pieces might be a little more expensive than many so waiting is ok. I'm also putting less expensive items to balance that out. This summer I got my first paid commission for an original painting and that, I felt, was a breakthrough.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

AdornDC, you do beautiful work.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.