Hey there!

I'm writing an article about product development and thought I'd check in with the experts - you!

I'm so curious to hear how you developed your early products.

What worked?
How have you changed your product development process over time?
Did you always have a vision for a full product line, or did you start with one strong idea and grow from there?

I can't wait to hear your product stories and hope you'll all chime in.

Thanks!!
Audrey
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: How did you design your first product?

Jump to solution
I am still selling some of the items i first listed in my shop 2 years ago, they have been with me since the very beginning because those are what developed the brand. And we've been staying true to the essence ever since.

The materials speak to us and inspire us with new designs and till today, we go with the same process. Each time I get a little uninspired, I'll look back to the original designs that our customers love. At the mean time we're trying to design more product line outside of just jewelry. we believe that crafting and handmade can inspire one form to another. We've added a small range of silks and hopefully a home range soon :)

We've built our brand on etsy and even though there are many other platforms for sales, we still believe our customers are right here.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My background was as a costume designer and after that I went on to study and work in animation. As my job was animation and graphic design I used to make all my clothes and accessories on the side and my illustration was just for me. (I didn't think anyone else would be interested!)

I kept trying to launch various different types of handbags and dresses online but they never really took off enough to build a proper business and the profits were totally unrealistic. One day I put one of my illustrations in my tumbleweedy Etsy shop as a bit of a whim and it sold the next day, it took off from there and Shop Miss Ella was born. (previously Tanky bags) I still make bags and they are well received but the lllustration has been the backbone. I wish I had done it so much earlier!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I live on Sydney's Northern Beaches, and one day hanging in my sanctuary (the beach) I though of an idea of always carrying the beach with me and hence I came up with the beach baby:
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/88569208/unique-necklace-beach-jewelry-turquoise?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My first work when I started to create digital collages was my collage "Escape into Life", a very personal motive. I was playing around and had some idea in mind but during the work process this collage finally came out of my head (or heart :-) ), totally different from my first idea.
This happens sometimes to me when I start with an idea that in the end there is something different coming out.

https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/88676676/karte-escape-grusskarte?ref=shop_home_active_23
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My first products were definitely yarn inspired - I bought some lovely yarn and thought what would be the best use of it. I picked up my needles and started knitting, un-picked, re-knitted, un-picked....and it was only a scarf! Since then my process has changed both artistically and business-y.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Firstly I branded myself as Squidbrains. I tried to figure out what best color palette would work for me and then I started making illustrations. Slowly over the years it has grown! I'm no where near where I want to be but I'm hoping to be at my goal in a year's time!

When it comes down to it I think having a cohesive style is the best thing to get noticed. Also having a solid brand that is memorable.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
2 words: very carefully :D
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi Audrey, I tried out my idea of natural lip balms and hand balms blended with aromatherapy on Etsy; that was a great place to start commercially and is still a great place to showcase products. Etsy gave me the confidence to develop my idea, so I invested in good marketing. It took a year of working with a local marketing company to come up with a brand and packaging that launched my business to the next level. Together with the marketing company we designed a point of purchase (POP) display that within months of rolling out into retail stores won a national award with the American Package Design 2013 via GD Magazine. http://www.gdusa.com/contests/apda13/types/gallery.php?g=POP My POP display was showcased among big companies such as Sharpie, Disney, Rubbermaid, Dove and Coors. Needless to say, I was over the moon. That year of investing in my marketing paid off – I have been able to secure product reps from all around the country and have been able to get my product, lulu’s garden, into retail stores country wide. Without Etsy, I'm not sure that I would have expanded like I have.
0 Likes
ShoppinkStory
Registered Buyer

Jump to solution
My first design inspire from my passion for keep on my eye the nature around me when the night come. I sit alone in my garden with palette in my hand and canvass in front of me. But I don't know what i want to make it. and then the butterfly come to orchid flower in front of me. and since that time, I start make the painting of nature in some another stuff, like glass as hand painted lanterns and hand painted soap dispensers. I hope every single of my designs can deliver the beautiful story.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
The very first thing that I made was a pair of earrings using Swarovski crystals and pearls. I had picked up a free booklet on wire wrapping at a local craft store, along with some silver headpins and some beads, and sat down that evening to create a masterpiece.

Looking at them now (yes, I still have them), I am amazed at how far I've progressed. The pliers felt foreign in my hands, whereas now they feel like extensions of my body. I think I can wire-wrap in my sleep now. The links were uneven and bent, the design of the earrings amateurish. Still, from that very first night, I knew that I had found something special. I haven't put the pliers down since, and my interest has only grown stronger since that first night, 4 1/2 years ago.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
That's a good question, when I first started I had a sketchy haze of an idea of what I wanted to do and because it started out as a hobby and I had never made jewelry before it was like baby steps. I remember my first one or two listings, LOL what a difference. One was a bracelet and the other was a necklace and earring set. At that time I thought they were awesome and I was proud of my photography and etc. I look back now and I'm like "what was I thinking?!" Eeek! LOL I guess that is what happens you should grow and become better at what you do as time goes on. I purchased better tools, materials, and got better at what I do. Don't get me wrong I know I still have more growing to do. I can be very picky at what I do, buy, wear, like, etc so I use that as a good guage. If it is a peice that I would not purchase or wear then it does not get listed at all. I have also learned better techniques at jewelry making and I have a clearer vision of my business and as well as my products.

I am looking forward to more growth and to see where i go from here!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hey all,

Thanks again for sharing all your amazing product development stories here. Reading your responses was so interesting, and helpful in shaping the article, which published today:

https://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2014/develop-a-winning-product-in-5-steps/

A couple of you are quoted in there. Unfortunately we couldn't fit all the amazing ideas here, but feel free to leave your tips in the comments.

Best,
Audrey
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.