How did you design your first product?

Jump to solution
Hey there!

I'm writing an article about product development and thought I'd check in with the experts - you!

I'm so curious to hear how you developed your early products.

What worked?
How have you changed your product development process over time?
Did you always have a vision for a full product line, or did you start with one strong idea and grow from there?

I can't wait to hear your product stories and hope you'll all chime in.

Thanks!!
Audrey
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How did you design your first product?

Jump to solution
Hey all,

Thanks again for sharing all your amazing product development stories here. Reading your responses was so interesting, and helpful in shaping the article, which published today:

https://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2014/develop-a-winning-product-in-5-steps/

A couple of you are quoted in there. Unfortunately we couldn't fit all the amazing ideas here, but feel free to leave your tips in the comments.

Best,
Audrey

View solution in original post

0 Likes
86 Replies

Jump to solution
Hi Audrey - I wish I could find what the first item I listed on Etsy- so I could giggle at my poor photography - but I am absolutely sure it was one of my soft fiber knit cuffs.
I was a knitter for years - and I used beautiful fibers - so I started my line after a few years of combining beads with a fine fiber....
Through my years on Etsy - my line has evolved and expanded. My soft knit line is still available - but the wire knit line has taken over my shop. The wire knits began because a client wanted me to use pearls and after many frustrating days of trying to get freshwater pearls on the string - I suggested wire....
The wire knit line has a totally different look than the soft knits - I find the different lines appeal to different customers and I continually try to add new designs and pieces to the lines - but they have one common thread.... ( whether it is fiber or wire) I am the sole creator of every piece & and I love hand knitting my products for my customers.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I started with simply selling needle felted doll sets; mother and child or sister dolls. After a few months, I gradually began creating different types of dolls, and tentatively listed a few felted animals. I was surprised to discover that these were more popular than my dolls, and so have tried to create more of those ever since. I also began to make and sell tea cozies, incorporating my love of tea into my love of all things wool. I've never had any clear idea of an actual product line, but instead have let my shop develop as my creativity does. If something doesn't work, I'll move on and try something else.
When I come up with an idea for the design for a doll, I'll often go outside and look at the different colors that occur in nature. A bird perched on a branch of a tree will often inspire me to use those colors for a dress for one of my dolls.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi Audrey

interesting you ask this question .. made me laugh.. was thinking about the same thing just recently. My mum came over this Christmas and brought with her the scarf me and my kids gave her years ago... it was our first hand painted silk creation and I was very surprised how beautiful and cheerful it was. It was a spring scarf with tulips and sunshine in the centre. Very bright, positive and original. My style has changed and developed since those first creations, I never really had a product line in mind.. it has been developing with time and experience & inspiration comes from many different sources, however after seeing our first scarf I have to admit, that we might again create something similar. It's very interesting to realise that after years of attending various schools and studying different techniques I woud get inspired by my early work. It's probably that the first creations more than ever come straight from our heart :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I started with one strong idea which was actually an enthusiastic "I want to do that" - I saw a book on stained glass mosaics and was instantly smitten. I saw endless design possibilities, uses and gorgeous colours. After many shards of glass embedded in my fingers, quite a few cuts, numerous item failures and countless hours spent hunched over a table, I've finally come to that place where I can say with a little pride - I can do that!

... and I'm still doing it - and loving the learning and experimenting
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Oh my, my first few pieces were horrible.. ok, that's a lie. They weren't HORRIBLE - they were very nice - but when I compare them to what I make NOW.. there's really no way to compare them at all! I'll forever be grateful to my first few Etsy sales and the first sales I made in person, LOL. It's also amazing what re-taking some photos can do because I've actually sold some of my first made pendants recently after re-taking their photos.

When I first started, I was really unsure of the best "dry time" and a lot of the first pieces I made are now in a small basked on my desk because I didn't wait long enough between painting and gluing. As a result, some have horrible air bubbles and others have obvious smudges. I also didn't clean up the edges of some of them so you can see some residual nail polish on the glass around the edge of the pendant. Oh my.

I've now gotten the timing down pretty good in between actual polish layers and how long to wait until actually gluing the glass in the setting and how long to wait for the glue to cure so it's "wearable". Not to mention tagging every piece once I take and upload pictures and to name those pictures with the same number written on the tag has made finding pieces when they sell SO MUCH EASIER.

I wanted to start off with something "brand new". Nail polish jewelry is not that well known outside of the nail polish and nail art community but there are enough sellers out there where people DO and WILL search for it. I decided to give my own spin on it and actually make the polish used in my pieces from scratch. Most people go out and buy some brand names or indie polishes and use those - nope. I make mine and use it in my pendants! I also plan on selling the polish itself later this year, both individually and bundling up with a jewelry pieces made with the polish.

I also plan on selling other things, like beaded necklaces and bracelets, beaded and wire-wrap earrings, stud earrings, and other stuff. But I wanted to sort of start off with a "bang" before selling some "common" items (which I plan to make as original as possible by putting my own spin on those pieces, too).

The only downside to selling online is not being able to see someone's reaction when they see my jewelry for the first time. I love selling in person for that reason. I really wish I would get more reviews - not to have them or to have a bigger rating, but I just really enjoy hearing that people liked what took me days to create. I know how excited I get purchasing something new and unique and so I'm glad I get to make others feel that way, too :)

If you go and look at the items I've sold, you can actually see the horrible photos used in the first two sales I had. And then when you compare them to the ones I have now.. oh dear. I've learned SO MUCH about photography and SEO!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I started making my jewelry off etsy 9 years ago and started with beaded hoop earring that my friends loved and bought, at the time I would let the gemstones guide the design in basic ways like this is perfect for a bracelet or necklace etc. now I tend to think more in collections starting with a design element and applying it to gemstones. I still do sometimes let the gemstone lead and see where it takes me:)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I started quilling as a hobby and I never thought that it will become something serious. When I first started selling cards, I used to make cards which were very elaborate with complicated designs. These cards used to take a lot of effort and time to make. I realized overtime that people like much more simple and fun designs - had to change my approach from traditional to modern. I am still learning :)
0 Likes
happywrap
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
I drew my first product design on the back of an envelope as I was lying in bed one morning. Some very quick scruffy drawings!

Later I went down to the Rag Market in Birmingham to see what fabrics and ribbons I could find. As soon a I got them home I set about experimenting with my idea, using the materials to see if it would work.

I really enjoyed messing with the materials and the product I had come up with started changing, for example the ribbons in my original drawings ran parallel to the fabric, I changed them to run diagonally from corner to corner to make better use of the fabric. I also made the ribbons longer so that more items could be wrapped and it was easier to tie the ribbons in a bow.

Apart from a few tweaks, like sewing mitred corners instead of overlapping, using new embroidered labels with my logo on etc., the product has largely stayed the same since the beginning, and it has grown to a gift wrapping range that covers pretty much any gift giving occasion. Every time I use the wraps myself to wrap family and friends' presents I get to practise with different objects and figure out new techniques. I must remember to photograph them and do new wrapping guides!

I'm really excited this year as I'm planning on getting new fabric designs printed, inspired by language and music.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
The very first thing I ever made was my contoured burp cloths, I was pregnant with my second daughter and wanted something sturdier, more absorbent (and cuter) than what I was finding in the big box stores. A basic sewing machine, some flannel, terry cloth, and a few hours later I got my pattern down. After that followed my bibs, lovey blankets and as of the end of 2013 my snuggle blankets. This year I plan on adding even more things to my shop! I love the whole designing and creating process and look forward to what this year brings.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My shop today is almost unrecognizable from where it started. When I first got interested in jewelry design I came across an amazing technique of crocheting and knitting with extremely thin pieces of wire. The intricate designs and possibilities with this technique absolutely captivated me and it became somewhat of an obsession. So when I decided to open my Etsy store naturally I expected everyone would feel the same way about my wire crochet designs. Although those pieces sold for me well at B&M stores locally, I discovered that did not translate into success online. People didn't search for wire crochet jewelry and so my products remained mostly unseen. Right from the start I loved designing jewelry and Etsy, and I really wanted to make a success of my shop, so I knew I had to change something in order to be found. I started looking around at featured jewelry shops on Etsy and shops that I admired, and the common thread seemed to be working with precious metals like gold and silver, which is something I was not doing with my wire crochet. I also thought about a way to stand out, to give Etsy shoppers a reason to buy from me and not a big box department store. I thought about what I would want to buy as an Etsy shopper, and also remembered that the wire crochet rings in my shop had always been my best sellers. I love wearing rings, but I have really small fingers, and I have had trouble finding cute rings in the right size at a department store, so I thought this was something I could offer to customers. I decided to make custom sized rings the focus of my Etsy shop. But this was a huge step away from my wire crochet. I had only worked with very simple jewelry techniques, and making gold and silver rings meant I had to invest in a soldering torch, and even more terrifying, actually use it to melt metal! I bought the torch, but was too scared to use it for at least a month. Finally, I worked up the nerve and loved soldering from the very first try! The first silver rings I ever made were skinny hammered silver stacking rings, and are still an extremely popular design in my shop. Those simple rings started me down an amazing path here at Etsy! As I got more experience and confidence I kept pushing myself to learn new techniques and explore new materials, and my jewelry line has grown from there. In my shop today there is none of the original wire crochet jewelry that I started with, but I have close to 250 items that would never have existed if I hadn't started with wire crochet. I can honestly say that I love where my shop is today, but knowing how important change and discovery has been for me, I keep pushing myself and exploring new techniques and options for my jewelry line. I wonder if my shop has more drastic changes in store for the future?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I have noticed a change in the look and overall feel my designs compared to when I first started. If possible I feel that they now exude more of a confidence in them and they are more clean cut.

It also helps that I've upgraded my design software to a more professional standard compared to the previous program that I was using.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
These responses are so great! Keep em coming!
0 Likes
sewbigkeepsake
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
For me...this is a powerful question. It floods my memory with all the positive growth that I have experienced since I designed my first product with the goal of realizing a supplemental income.

My husband and I (blended family) have 20 grandchildren. Necessity has made it so that we have designed and made many gifts over the years for them. When our latest grandchildren (twins) were to celebrate their second birthday, I designed a growth chart for them. I wanted it to be a keepsake...a treasure filled with memories from growing up.

As we had retired and were feeling the crunch of available income, when designing the growth chart I concentrated on creating a chart that I could possibly market.

The birthday growth charts were a hit....my daughter purchased several for her friends children for Christmas that same year. At a craft show in Vermont, I was encouraged by another vendor to try marketing on ETSY.

Yes...it has been a learning (growing) curve. I was not aware of the wonderful ETSY community...but after six months, I began learning to seek out information and help from fellow sellers. I devoured ETSY information and improved on my photos and the growth chart.

Dale and I opened a second shop: vermontwoodnart

We feel so fortunate to be adding to our retirement income. Both of us have some health issues and I have profound hearing loss which make it difficult to supplement our income by taking a part time job.

We have always been self-employed and this is truly a remarkable way for us to market our creativity. We feel alive, once again...enjoying our time creating and the sales through ETSY are (for us) much easier than craft markets.

Our shop will continue to grow...our direction will be determined by our customers.

Thank-you, ETSY

Sincerely,

Jess Whitney
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hey,
I started by seeing a finished cushion in a decor spread online. There was a particular cushion in the shape of a flower and I really liked it but I couldn't find it anywhere. And I then looked for a pattern and found similar but not the same. So I made my own version in the colours I prefered. I made one for my best friend and then my mum wanted one and my sister and a girl at work wanted one for her daughter and another co-worker kept pushing me to open up a shop on here. So I did! I love making cushions I recently have also started making me own inner stuffing for them too. I want to make more items for the home. So I may look into seeing if there some local courses as I love learning new things.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
For me it all started with repairing a necklace that my husband brought from South Africa. I went to the craft store bought tools, beads etc.
At first it was just a hobby but after I accumulated a big amount of jewelry pieces I decided to open a shop. A friend who sells here introduced me to Etsy. AntoArts was born.
Well, a year later via custom orders, art and craft classes and experimenting with materials my shop took a turn. 3 year later I don't have a simple piece of jewelry for sale and it's all wedding and home decoration.
It's been an amazing journey!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My graduate degree is in clay working and sculpture and I've been self employed for most of my working career. I closed down my brick and mortar teaching and production pottery business in order to take care of my parents during their final years.

I can't remember my first pot. I do remember the first time I sold something though. The man picked it up and turned to his wife and said, "This tea pot offends me! Don't you think it would be perfect for your Mother."

In May of 2011 I opened an Etsy store in order to keep my hand in. With my Father still needing my help, the store was very part time at first. But my Father past away over a year ago and I've been situating myself to make my pottery once again my main business.

The store here on Etsy has been a great way to test drive designs, which somehow seem to arrive in the middle of the night. It has also been very good about showing me very clearly and persuasively what people really want of what I produce. Who knew that people really wanted more handmade pottery mugs!

My store has as yet to really take off. Social media marketing is a mystery wrapped in an enigma to me, which I am slowly unraveling. It has indeed been an amazing journey so far!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I remember my first experience with making skin care products because I got in trouble for wasting sugar, salt and vegetable oil-my first Body Scrub when I was like 8 or 9 years old. I did end up using those same ingredients to make unleavened bread and my mother was okay with that.

But, I really remember when I made my Liquid African Black Soap in late 2011. I had used raw African Black Soap but wanted a shower/shampoo gel and not a soap bar. I didn't think it would work because I had never seen Liquid African Soap before. My first batch was just a bunch of water and a little soap. Then my second batch was a little more soap and not so watery. Finally after the 3rd batch, it was just right with a whole lotta soap and creamy like caramel. I realize now that even though I make skin care products a lot of it is based on making food from that first experience with the Body Scrub/Unleavened Bread.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I had a vintage shop before this, and re-worked some things but with this shop I listed things I was making for myself. Started with a mini wallet I made out of a nice ultra suede. I really liked the fabric and just made more. One products leads to another, because it challenges you to try to new things. And then as winter in NY approached I began to make scarves for myself, my daughter, my husband and everyone.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
We started with in idea we used at our wedding for fly fishing boutonnieres. We developed a bunch of different styles. Then we decided we wanted to grow to incorporate women and babies, making products that are good quality that we and our son love and use.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Great question.

I first actually designed something from scratch in the form of a collage. Inspiration came from a soon to be graduate of architecture. I hope he didn't actually criticize the scale, but I found black and white images from a book on Italian places. Knowing he studied in Rome had great synchronicity for me.
It just happened. Somehow, I gathered pieces and scraps and made an entire picture that created its own statement. The one thing I am proud of the most is there was a superb focal point. The way in which I formed the pieces of paper led to a staircase.

I'm now trying to think of the same thing for a different theme. But, as you all know, sometimes it just 'happens'.

0 Likes
1AEON
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
in my case:
1. Have an idea first (what comes from dreams usually) and try to make that happen.
2. Being/feeling inspired and want to grab a blank piece of paper/new file in photoshop and just let go.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I started with just earrings, and at first used store bought wires and simple beading techniques, but the ideas in my head, the images that tormented me, called for far more than that! I have never taken classes, so I bought cheap wire just to practice on and when I was confident, bought sterling wire to hand forge earrings. Bracelet charms came from my frustration at not being able to buy cute brand name ones 5 years ago, and as I started to sell, my ingredients got better & my product range expanded. I've always dreamed bigger than my budget!
I think I need to streamline so I can repeat more designs - better for search.
0 Likes
CardNotions
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Before I started my own business, I worked in research and development for a couple different manufactures. So my initial approach to design was probably more engineering than necessary and not so much artistic.

Architectural card design suited me and I think my first pop-up card design reflects where I was coming from. The pop-up Christmas tree, still one of the most difficult cards for me to make, required a great deal of mental training to understand the mathematics, and to visualize the inward and outward folds required to create the final 3D structure. Once I added color, I needed to figure out how to make enough to send out to family and friends for Christmas. With my background in manufacturing, it was pretty natural for me to redesign for cutting and folding efficiency and for a more robust design, that withstood repeated opening/closing and could stand open on its own. I designed several more cards after that, just for family and friends.

I also designed ornaments as gifts, just for fun. I made mostly ornaments with names and special dates for new babies, weddings, etc. I consider the trout ornament, my breakthrough design where I had developed a style that brought the animal to life and made it look 3D, though cut from a flat piece of wood.

By the time I decided to try my hand at selling, I had around 10 cards and 10 ornaments, that I felt comfortable making and selling at the price I had set. That was just over 2 years ago. I now have over 100 designs. Most of my new designs come from customer requests.

I truly enjoy designing new products. I’ve learned quite a lot about graphic design, so I think my new artwork is more appealing and I‘m much quicker. Also, it requires much less trial and error to complete.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hello All,

I'm still new to the game but I thought I'd share anyway. My husband and I moved from a 1 bedroom apartment to a 4 bedroom home and we sold practically everything before moving. As I started to shop around for furniture on a tight budget I had a pretty clear picture of certain items I'd like to have but couldn't find anything I liked for the price. I've always been pretty handy so I decided to take the "do it yourself" approach. I started with a coffee table, then a bedroom bench, on to 2 headboards, and then other items I liked to help decorate our home. Although I love building furniture, it's a tough sell when shipping can be quite costly so I've begun to integrate graphic design products as well. I'm still testing the waters, but having a blast doing so!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.