Former_Member
USE THIS THREAD FOR ALL QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSIONS THAT DO NOT FIT ANY OF THESE OTHER PINNED THREADS:

1. PINNED: Discuss SEO and Relevancy Myths http://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-ets­y-shops/discuss/10406495
2. PINNED: Discuss Etsy Shop Titles, Section Names and Shop Welcome Text http://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-ets­y-shops/discuss
3. PINNED: Discuss Listing Titles, Listing Descriptions and Listing Tags http://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-ets­y-shops/discuss/10406457/
4. PINNED: Discuss Google SEO: Keywords and Text http://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-ets­y-shops/discuss/10406463
5. PINNED: Discuss Google SEO: Backlinks, Link Building, Link Popularity http://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-ets­y-shops/discuss/10406483
6. PINNED: Google+ for SEO http://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-ets­y-shops/discuss/10416906
JadjusJewelry
Inspiration Seeker

Re: PINNED: Discussions and Questions About Everything Else

Jump to solution
Grace and Mary,

Thank you so much for your information. I will try one of those sites Mary listed.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
JadjusJewelry
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Are the keywords Google referring to found in the descriptions or the titles?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Janet from JadjusJewelry says

Are the keywords Google referring to found in the descriptions or the titles?

---------------------------------------------------------

Keywords can be placed anywhere on the Web page, including titles and descriptions.

Where did you find the reference to keywords that you are asking about?
0 Likes
JadjusJewelry
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
The keywords that I used are based of the item for sale that I use in both the descriptions and the titles. There are some that I picked up through Google Ad words but that was before they made the recent change.

Etsy is just making it worst by changing their relevancy which keep dropping ranks.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Etsy is making changes almost daily. Which recent Etsy change are you talking about?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
me or Janet ? lol
any team mates who are selling in the jewelry category need to keep an eye out to see if their sub-category is removed

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I was asking Janet about the changes she was thinking of when she wrote, "Etsy is just making it worst by changing their relevancy which keep dropping ranks."
0 Likes
JadjusJewelry
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
The changes I see keep taking place for the last couple months are under "lampwork jewelry" and "glass bead jewelry". Those are the main search categories I constantly watch.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Etsy is always testing something new and has been testing a lot of changes in the Jewelry Category. It is more important than ever to SEO Etsu shops from top to bottom to do well on both Etsy and Google.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I was wondering if anyone has used the Etsy advertising. And if so, did you have good luck with it? (not just views and hearts but actual solid sales, consistent sales....I see people whose shops sell at least one to five items nearly daily)

Any other advertising sites good? I've heard good things about Google Adwords, but I don't know how to get a good balance between an affordable budget and have my ad or keywords show up more often and readily.

(I'm so broke, so the more affordable the better at this point, but I know advertising could increase my sales, I just don't know if I''ll end up paying money but get no sales...).

Any advice?? I am constantly trying to improve my shop via better Keywords, Titles, Pictures and so forth, but I really need serious buyers to come by and well, buy...
0 Likes

Jump to solution
i have tried etsy ad
many times , i tried itover 10 times for my 2 shops.
~ one sale
~ so i guess that means NO sales
~ those views are relatively low

i haven't tried any other types of paid advertisement anywhere else
some said ads on popular blogs are good
some depends on FB ( i don't )

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I tried different kinds of Etsy ads for each of my 3 shops over the past 4 years and none have ever worked very well at all - lots of favoriting but no sales. I honestly wish Etsy ads would work but they don't.

The least expensive ways to become more visible to your target market is through SEO and through Promotion.

Your shop title and listings would do better with more keywords and more targeted keywords. Have you asked for an SEO Review on our SEO Review Team: http://www.etsy.com/teams/12637/seo-and-relevancy-reviews?

We can help you get started with better SEO.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a list to all of the places I should submit my website for search engines. I did google and bing/yahoo. Any others?

Thanks!
Jacqui
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Jacqueline,

Do you want to submit your own web site or your Etsy shop? Can you find either one when searching for it on the search engines?

You do not need to submit your Etsy shop to any search engine as all the large search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing are very good at finding your shop on their own. There are a few smaller search engines such as Ask that are also good at finding your shop on their own. There are thousands of tiny search engines all over the world that are rarely used by anyone are are not worth your time to manually submit.

There is automated search engine submission software but automated submissions are not welcome or accepted by any of the large search engines and many small ones. This software may not be worth the cost to buy it.

Repeated search engine submission is not needed and not welcome by any large search engine.

Anyone selling search engine submission services is either intentionally scamming web site owners or selling a service of very, very little value.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
My personal website . I can find both when searching. I thiink I already did google and bing. Good to know about people selling the service there are so many of them out there! Thanks mary!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
From both what I've read and common sense, it is obviously better to show up on one of the very first pages for any keyword search. For some of my items, my keywords are very specific (ie. Indianapolis art) and therefore, I always show up on the first page.

However, my most common keyword lately has been "canvas art". I searched through and found myself on the seventh page for this keyword. Considering 115,000 items come up for canvas art, I feel like the 7th page is a pretty good accomplishment.

My question is -- with broader keywords, is there a page range you should be above (ie. 1-10 pages) or should I really try and push myself up to a higher page (which obviously I would want, anyway)? Do etsy buyers flip through lots of pages, or are you going to get lost if you are past the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pages?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
pg 1 on etsy ?
or
pg1 on Google ?

two different thing.
p1 on google wih a broad general competitive keyword,
is a victory , an accomplishment
like getting into Harvard, Yale or Princeton

p1 on etsy is much easier to achieve ( in general ok)
& you should be able to do it easily
and then again on p2,p3,p4 etc w/ the rest of your shop's listing.
all depending on how much competition you have in your art category.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I read this on another team:
"views and # of hearts also play a part in search rankings on Etsy"

Is it true?

And what about number of sales, does it have an efect on ranking?

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Dahlia,

It is true that sales, hearts and views all play a part in MOST search rankings on Etsy.

I have done my own testing by searching on keywords such as "wedding ring" and then looked at every shop for every listing that came up on the first 2 pages of the search results. Most of the shops were high selling shops with hundreds or thousands of sales with also many views and hearts. Very, very few listings were from newer shops with less than 100 sales.

This was not always true for more targeted (specific) keyword phrases such as "titanium and diamond wedding ring" where I saw more newer shops with lower sales in the search results.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Wow, that's good to know!
Thank you Mary!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I just did a little test myself, with "gold earrings" a bit discouraging to see... I saw a few shops that opened in the last few month and already have hundreds of sales, how do they do it?
But that's a question for another thread...
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Mary,
I have a question regarding Google Analytics. I have been told that when you look at stats and see " sourrces" google organic that that just tells you how they got to Esty .
As I have been tweaking tweakng tweaking for SEO relevancy what metric do you use to measure the improvement in google? (not speaking to GPS)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Sheriberyl,

It is true that Google Analytics lumps together all visitors fromj Google.com in your stats, whether or not those visitors first found another shop first.

When it comes to traffic sources, trust Etsy Stats more than Google Analytics for your Etsy shop. Etsy stats do show when your shop or listings are found directly on Google.com

0 Likes

Jump to solution
I thought google.com in stats was google shopping? I am i wrong?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Dalia Shamir from DaliaShamirJewelry says
I just did a little test myself, with "gold earrings" a bit discouraging to see... I saw a few shops that opened in the last few month and already have hundreds of sales, how do they do it?
But that's a question for another thread...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

New shops have to do a lot of promotion and marketing to get those sales started. The high selling shops always keep up their promotion and marketing.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.