Former_Member
USE THIS THREAD FOR ALL QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSIONS THAT DO NOT FIT ANY OF THESE OTHER PINNED THREADS:

1. PINNED: Discuss SEO and Relevancy Myths http://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-ets­y-shops/discuss/10406495
2. PINNED: Discuss Etsy Shop Titles, Section Names and Shop Welcome Text http://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-ets­y-shops/discuss
3. PINNED: Discuss Listing Titles, Listing Descriptions and Listing Tags http://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-ets­y-shops/discuss/10406457/
4. PINNED: Discuss Google SEO: Keywords and Text http://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-ets­y-shops/discuss/10406463
5. PINNED: Discuss Google SEO: Backlinks, Link Building, Link Popularity http://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-ets­y-shops/discuss/10406483
6. PINNED: Google+ for SEO http://www.etsy.com/teams/11352/relevancy-and-seo-for-all-ets­y-shops/discuss/10416906
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: PINNED: Discussions and Questions About Everything Else

Jump to solution
sheriberyl from sheriberyl says
I thought google.com in stats was google shopping? I am i wrong?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Google shopping is one of Google's Apps. and visits from Google shopping (http://www.google.com/shopping) are probably included in the visits from Google.

When someone uses Google to search for products, services or information, they usually go to www.google.com directly.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
this question is about :
how to strike a balance between
making a good listing description that has all your keywords ( longer / shorter description )
and
Your Target market / target buyers .

Reason for this question:
I know who my target buyers are ( in general )
and this month , I can say for sure ...yes.
and this particular group of target buyers
do not want me to repeat things / repeat info.

it is important for me to confirm size with them since my hoops are custom size & they need to tell me what size to make for them.....just like a ring maker need to know ring size, a clothing shop need to know size etc.

In order to repeat main keywords a few times in the description,
i run the risk of creating a l....o.....n....g.....e....r description
and
also the need to " confirm size " with them
make them think I am " bothering them " .

i guess there is no real solution to this question....and that is ok.
Just wanted to throw in this question in
in case any team mates have any question about writing their description and how to best " match " it with their target buyer.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
In the past few months, since Google's last algorithm update, there is less emphasis on multiple repetitions of keywords. Try using each keyword phrase once in the description and see how or if it affects Google rankings.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I read on another thread that listing something everyday helps with google ranking, over listing a lot at once.

I understand that newer listings may seem more relevant to google, but is it true that listing something everyday helps in overall store ranking?

Thanks
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Listing something every day does NOT help with Google rankings but it does encourage Google to visit your shop more often to pick up on frequent changes.

Basically, text content, especially good keywords, and backlnks work together for good rankings on Google.
0 Likes
kikisjewelrybox
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Hey there,

I'm not sure if this is an accepted question in this thread but I'll try. I must have did something with my camera as I have been experimenting didn't ways of taking my photos to make them better. Now most of the time I take pics the flash is coming on. I'm not sure what I did to make this keep happening. I have it on auto set and AI Focus which is suppose to shut the flash off but its still coming up. I also tried changing the exposure compensation. I'm not sure which is best to have it. I'm still learning. This is all happening while its still light out and there's plenty of light in the picture i'm trying to take and the flash still comes on. Would anyone know why this is happening and how I can stop it from happening?

Thanks,
Karen
0 Likes
kikisjewelrybox
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Hey all,

I found out a way for the flash to not pop up every time....putting it on P mode. Hopefully now my pictures of my jewelry will come out professional looking with this mode. I'll have to try tomorrow. Does anyone else use the P mode on a digital EOS Canon Rebel XT or if you have another camera with that setting?

:)Karen
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Photos. Photos, photos, photos. We've tried photographing our products - and it doesn't work well, as photographing food is an art-form. So we rely on two studio photographers to shoot all of our products.

Good photos are really key in the world of online selling - at least, in our opinion.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I was reading on another forum that tags determine what sub-categories your item falls in. I put an item in the category "Patterns" and didn't choose any actual sub-categories after that. Instead I listed the sub-categories I wanted as tags. I spelled and capitalized them exactly the same as on Etsy, but my listing does not show up in them. Here is the listing:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/110838808/ninja-superhero-clothing-applique

The category is "Patterns" and my first tag is Accessories. This was listed 1 hour ago, but you can clearly see my listing does not show up in Accessories:

www.etsy.com/category/patterns/accessories

Did I do something wrong or does this not really work this way? Should I even be thinking about this?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Rachel
0 Likes

Jump to solution
it won't show up >> that fast <<<
i know each item is different, for my own shop, i noticed that when I list a new item, it takes
3 hour and 15 min
to show up .

disclaimer : there is NO proof to this , **** please do not take this info to the main forum*** ,
This is just my own observation for my own items in my category:-)

you can see your newly listed item in your shop page....but etsy need time to update it....that's is why if you listed it one hour ago,
it is not showing up " yet " .....

You ** NEED *** to choose a sub-category
this is important
Pattern ....then sub-cat : accessories ( or you can also try sewing )
my other shop sell Crochet Patterns
So I use: Pattern, then sub-cat Crochet ( or Knit ),
then I have a third sub-cat : Bags

I will let Mary answer your other questions about tags , ok?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I did notice it takes a half hour for my listing to show up in the actual category I chose, but my listing is already showing up under "patterns" which is the category I chose, but it is not showing up in the sub-categories I put in as tags. So I don't think it's the lag issue since it is showing in the main category. I purposely didn't pick sub-cats at the top to see how the tags work at putting my item into sub-cats, which is what I read they will do. But perhaps they do not actually do this, evidence seems to point to the fact that they do not. But I figured I'd see if I did my tags wrong first.

Does that clarify at all?

Rachel
0 Likes

Jump to solution
sub-cat. is important .

the reason I say this is:
i have my Pattern shop since 2008 , with over 2400 sales so I know the sub-cat is important .....if I forgot to put in " sub-cat : Crochet ", my crochet pattern did not show up .
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I agree, but I was trying to find a way to get it in more sub-cats since you can only choose one up top. So when I saw the suggestion that tags would also be used to put an item into sub-cats if you spelled them the same way as the sub-cat on Etsy, I thought I would try that. But it didn't work for me, hence the question if i did it right with the tags or not.

Rachel
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Here is the thread that shows it as a suggestion:

http://www.etsy.com/teams/7722/business-topics/discuss/6586654/page/1

Number 2. d. This is an old thread, so perhaps this is something that has since changed in the way Etsy does things?

Rahcel
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi everyone.
So we are all busy people. We all have lives outside of etsy. A lot of folks work or go to school. Me, I have a large family & I homeschool. So I can't let etsy be my #1 priority. So my ?? Is, what are the top 3 most important things you need to do daily to grow your shop?
Or does etsy HAVE to be #1 in order to succeed? (etsy succeed means different things to different people of course)
Thanks,
Have a great week!
Sharyl
0 Likes

Jump to solution
1st & foremost

1) get enough sleep
2) must have at least one cup of coffee or hot tea
3) when in doubt, refer back to #1 lol

that is what I do everyday to generate more sales & make my business prosper :-)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Very funny Grace! So it's that easy huh?! Well I'm going back to bed then!;)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Every small business, whether it's an online store on Etsy.com or other online venue or a different type of business requires time, energy and dedication to become successful. Running your own business takes a lot more time than any job and unlike a job which pays you within a week or two, you might not be able to pay yourself for a very long time as you build your business.

My three top items for success on Etsy:
1. make a lot of whatever you make and list something every day until you have 50 - 100 listings.
2. learn basic SEO so that your listings can be found on Etsy.
3. spend time each day on promotion or marketing so that you can make sales in addition to getting found through SEO. This is important especially for new shops since, for Relevancy searches, Etsy tends to favor items from shops with high sales, many items with many "hearts" and items that are often added to treasuries.

All of these things can be done slowly over time if you do not have much time to put into your shop. It will just take longer to become successful. Unless your shop is discovered and promoted by Martha Stewart, there are no shortcuts.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Is there any specific advice for success for those of us from the vintage side? Especially vintage clothing? :-)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
There is nothing different for success for a vintage shop. You might try some of the Vintage Teams to see what advice about success long time Vintage sellers have to offer. They know the vintage business better than I do.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thanks Mary. I'm already there so hopefully success is just around the corner!
0 Likes

Jump to solution

minnie swanborough avatar
minnie swanborough from swanboroughprints says

minnie swanborough avatar
minnie swanborough from swanboroughprints says

Can anyone help please?
I want to create a new blog. I already have had a go....last year, with dismal results of two blogs.
How can I start again, and delete the two original blogs. So that I can start again.

Any help with creating a blog would be warmly welcomed please.
I have seen some gorgeous blogs out there, and as I am learning new things all the time. I want to create a good looking inviting happy blog.
As I said any help warmly welcomed, especially with how to add large photos to fill the top of the page.
thank you guys.
Minnie
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Minnie,

You can copy and save your old blog posts to your own computer, start a new blog with a new name and a professional design. There are graphic designers on Etsy who are very good at creating a custom design you would love.

I searched for "blog design" on Etsy and found over 4500 listings in every price range: http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?q=blog%20design&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&min=0&max=0&ref=aut...

Google's Blogger come with lots of handy widgets you can add to the basic blog and there are many graphic designers who would know how to design for Google.

You may not be able to delete the old blogs but you certainly can delete all the blog posts and leave the old blogs siting empty.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you Mary....I'll do that this weekend.

Minnie
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Has the team seen this new page Etsy has rolled out.......it's news to me..!!
Where they give same type of items in a lovely display at the bottom of the page, when you click onto an item...check out ( Vintage by the Shore ).

Is this something new they are rolling out or do you pay for it.....it looks rather good.
When it looks this good...I would like to have it too...!!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.