Former_Member
I recognize that many people don't know how to use the Google Adwords Keyword Planner So I decided to give a tutorial. Everyone wants good SEO and this is a good way to research keywords phrases not only for your titles, but also for your tags.

1. Make an Google account (it's free) or sign in f you already have one.
2. Go to the TOOL tab and drop down to KEYWORD PLANNER
3. Go to SEARCH FOR NEW KEYWORD AND GROUP IDEAS
4 Go down to the third box that says PRODUCT CATEGORY and put in your product or follow the subcategories.
5. Go to the first box YOUR PRODUCT OR SERVICE and enter in any ideas you have for your item. You must hit enter after each idea.
6. Go to TARGETING and click on Google if you want Google and Search Partners
7. OPTIONAL:Then go to the gray box that says KEYWORD OPTIONS and click on the pencil icon. Turn on the top option that says "Only show ideas closely related to my search terms".
USE THIS FLAG: 1) when you want to only see suggestions very close to the keywords you entered. Do not check this flag if you want to see a larger variety of keywords.
2) The Broad search count should only be used as a guideline to see which keywords are more popular than others. Google no longer shows the Exact search count that would tell use exactly how often each keyword phrase was used each month.

8. Then click on the blue box that says GET IDEAS.

You will then see 2 tabs. The first one AD GROUP IDEAS gives you keyword phrases and their average monthly searches and subcategories. The second one KEYWORD IDEAS show you all the ideas you entered and a general monthly search averages.

Don't worry about the Competition (low, medium, high) as it only pertains to businesses paying for Google ads.

Also up at the top of the page you will see your product or service ideas (all the ideas you entered for your item(s). To the right you can MODIFY SEARCH. When you click on that, it will bring you back to your original ideas so you can eliminate or add more ideas.

I hope this helps everyone with their SEO.
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: How to use Google Adwords Keyword Planner

Jump to solution
thank you Mary :) I'll check it every day

Rue
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you Veronica, I tried following directions again on the keyword planner, I know initially I am on the right page, I push the button get started and it asks for my email and then website (URL address) I am stuck at this point. Mary, I know you said I shouldn't have to put that in but it isn't giving me an option, it is strange. It is frustrating because I would really like to use it.
I will try the one you suggested Veronica and maybe I will have better luck:)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Do I have to pay for the sign up on the SEO book one?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Sarah,

You have to sign up for an Google account in order to use Google Adwords Keyword Plannner and that is free. I'm not certain what SEO book you're referring to.

Mary
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Sarah,

You will have to sign up for any free or paid online keyword research tool you use. SEOBook.com has been around for many years and has a good reputation. They will probably send you occasional SEO newsletters in exchange for giving you free use of their keyword database.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Just signed up for Google adwords. Do I need to add their keywords to my tag words?. I have not used the word " online" to my tags words. Thank you, Barbra Craig, cheapvintagefashion.etsy.com; cheapvintagefashion@gmail.com
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Good News Mary!! I figured out how to get into Adwords without putting the URL that it kept wanting, after using my gmail account and password when it took me to a place asking for the URL address I noticed that down below it said, I am an experienced adword user:) Ok well I am not but I thought I will just push that and yay! It said congratulations! That was the trick and it took me there so now I just need time to experiment putting phrases and keywords:)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Sarah, that's wonderful news. I wonder if others need to do the same.

Mary
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Sarah, would you be able to send me the link for adwords that you were able to get into? I couldn't find where to go.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Sheila, I just used what was at the beginning of this thread that Mary posted on page one, did you try that? I takes you directly there I believe, and then you do get started I believe and I have an gmail so that is what I used but the problem it was asking for my user name and URL, ignore that and look down below and if you see a button that says already an expert etc just click that. I would love to try to help anyone if I can so let me know if it works when you click. I hope you have success.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Mary, yes I think if others are stuck at a place I was, I hope this info will help them too!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Barbara,

Tagging vintage items in a shop such as yours is a LOT of work, because you're not limited to 2-3 categories of items. You will really need to take a hard look at each item, or at least each category of item. I'm not sure why you specifically mention the word "online" . .

The idea with good SEO is to match popular keyword phrases *exactly.*

I searched for "online vintage" in the Google Keyword Planner. Some of the more popular searches were:

vintage clothing online 4,400
vintage clothing 60,500
vintage dresses 33,100
unique vintage 27,100
cheap vintage clothing 3,600
vintage clothing stores 2,900

You can combine these phrases. Note that the unbroken phrase "unique vintage clothing online" contains "vintage clothing online" (4,400), "vintage clothing" (60,500) and "unique vintage" (27,100), for a total of 92,000 monthly searches. You could try using that unbroken phrase in your shop title, announcement and policies.

Total aside here, but you might want to do some market research about your shop name. The only vintage shopping I've done is in high-end consignment shops, so the word "cheap" doesn't speak to me at all. At the other end of the spectrum, my grandmother loves a church rummage like nobody's business, but she'd never apply the word "cheap" to your prices.

Another total aside, try improving your photos. In particular, your backgrounds are really, really cluttered. The clothing you show on mannequins looks 1000 times better than the clothing you show on hangers. Shops tend to look best with photos with a consistent look and a consistent, non-distracting background.

-Veronica
0 Likes
WyomingHammered
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Veronica,
Reading your post to Barbara:

I searched for "online vintage" in the Google Keyword Planner. Some of the more popular searches were:

vintage clothing online 4,400
vintage clothing 60,500
vintage dresses 33,100
unique vintage 27,100
cheap vintage clothing 3,600
vintage clothing stores 2,900

When I put in "online vintage" in Google Keyword Planner. i get different results then what you have. Why is this? I was in the "tab" "Keyword Ideas"

Another question on this: Does it matter in what order you place the keywords or does it only matter to have the keywords randomly in your listings.?

Thank you!

0 Likes

Jump to solution
I'm getting nowhere with AdWords. It lets me log in but then goes to Your First Campaign. I don't see anywhere it shows Tools. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
WildAzaleaStudio,

Try what Sarah did. I would be interested in knowing if this works for you as well. This might be our solution. Please let me know. This is her post from above.

Good News Mary!! I figured out how to get into Adwords without putting the URL that it kept wanting, after using my gmail account and password when it took me to a place asking for the URL address I noticed that down below it said, I am an experienced adword user:) Ok well I am not but I thought I will just push that and yay! It said congratulations! That was the trick and it took me there so now I just need time to experiment putting phrases and keywords:)

Mary
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you...My first time on Google Adwords was tonight. That tutorial was helpful! I've got a question...it may be silly I'll use the example 'Silver Bracelet'. It comes up in singular and plural. When putting together my listing titles and tags, should I put both terms in, or will just using the plural keyword be acceptable when people search the singular keyword?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
For google searches, you're going for an exact match, so if "silver bracelets" gets 100,000 hits a month and "silver bracelet" gets 500, you'll want to target "silver bracelets," at least with some of your listings. Of course, you have to be careful that you don' mislead customers into thinking they're getting more than one silver bracelet if a listing is for a single silver bracelet. The plural in the tags won't mislead customers, and in the description, you could say something like "one of the loveliest silver bracelets we've seen." For the title, you'll want to say "silver bracelet" early, so people know what you're actually selling, then include "silver bracelets" toward the end of the title.

For Etsy searches, I do notice in my own stats that people do arrive at my listings that are tagged with a singular by searching for the plural and vice versa, but I'd still think your odds of coming up earlier are better if you select the more popular term. As I'm sure you realize, there are a number of factors that impact

I know you're just giving "silver bracelets" as an example, but I will say that it's probably way too general to target. Three- or four-word keyword phrases tend to be far more effective than two-word keyword phrases.

Best,
Veronica
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Mary,

Question. Have you ever come across google adwords not having any suggestions for a term or group of terms that you type in? I make a lot of things with Hemp, but anytime I try adwords with the word hemp in my search I always get no suggestions related to the term back. Is there something I could be doing differently or am I just out of luck?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Jennifer,

Here are some keyword phrases for the word hemp using Google Adwords Keyword Planner

hemp jewelry 1300
hemp bracelets 2900
hemp anke bracelets 50
hemp earrings 50
hemrings 50
hemp necklaces 720

Try also to use keywords related to necklaces, earrings, jewelry in general besides the word hemp
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thank you Mary. I must have been doing something wrong b/c I kept getting a "no results" message. I am going to have to sit down and play with this google tool a little more.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Do we pay to use the Adwords service on Google? I'm at Adwords home, and it looks like I'm expected to pay to get this service. Is this right?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
No, the Google Adwords Keyword Planner is free. All you need to do is to

go to:GET STARTED. It will have you sign up for a user name and password. After that you should be able to get into the Keyword Planner.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Veronica - Thanks for explaining that! I would've thought the opposite.... I have a bit to learn in this area!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Florence, No, you do not have to pay to us Google Adwords. I agree that it does appear that you do but you only have to scroll down to the section that says Keyword Tool and you will be able to enter words to search and it should give you a list of words. Don't enter any information that they request you to , such as amount you want to spend and all that.

One thing I have noticed is that there are many different opening pages if you google adwords.......Mary posted the link to go straight to the page you need in a post ...it was in the 'How to use google adwords" I'll try to find
it . Hope this helps

lol I see Mary already answered this ...

Rue
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I still don't totally understand adwords. It is giving me a headache.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.