On top of my "real" job and my etsy shops, I also work part-time at a Canada Post outlet, for 4 years now. I'm very knowledgeable about all things related to shipping. I can be your resident expert! Ask away and I will do my best to answer clearly.

jackie ♥

Here's the original post from a forum thread I started before etsy did the shut-down to teams :( It describes CP's rate increases for 2011, which took effect on January 17th.

Like clockwork, Canada Post is raising their rates as of January 17th. I work at the post office part-time so I thought I would give my fellow Canadians a head's up. Here's a link to the complete list of new rates including all the price tables you could ever want (a very helpful sleep aid for insomniacs!).

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/ (click on the red "new prices" button)

I'm not sure how bad the increase is for domestic and US Expedited parcel rates, but here are the new Lettermail, Oversize Lettermail, Light Packet, and Small Packet rates.

Lettermail (max 24.5 X 15.6 X .5cm):
Canada >>
0.59 (0-30g)
1.03 (31-50g)
USA >>
1.03 (0-30g)
1.25 (31-50g)
International >>
1.75 (0-30g)
2.50 (31-50g)

Oversize Lettermail (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
Canada >>
1.25 (0-100g)
2.06 (101-200g)
2.85 (201-300g)
3.25 (301-400g)
3.50 (401-500g)
USA >> (printed matter only)
2.06 (0-100g)
3.60 (101-200g)
7.20 (201-500g)
International >> (printed matter only)
4.10 (0-100g)
7.20 (101-200g)
14.40 (201-500g)

Light Packet (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
USA >> 4% increase over 2010
2.36 (0-100g)
4.92 (101-250g)
7.91 (251-500g)
International >> 3.5% increase over 2010!
4.60 (0-100g)
9.25 (101-250g)
15.80 (251-500g)

Small Packet (max L + W + H = 90cm)
USA >> 7.5% increase over 2010!
Surface 5.85 (0-250g)
Airmail 7.46
Surface 8.35 (251-500g)
Airmail 9.90
Surface 12.41 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 15.36
International >> (rates vary according to the country.. please see zone and rate tables through the link above. Amounts below are for shipments to the United Kingdom, zone 02 - surface rates are 10% higher than 2010, airmail rates are 8% higher, except in the 1-2kg category)
Surface 6.54 (0-250g)
Airmail 8.53
Surface 8.95 (251-500g)
Airmail 17.06
Surface 15.02 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 33.45
Surface 21.07 (1-2kg)
Airmail 50.26

I don't know about you, but I am really bummed about this. Increases of 7 and 10% are really going to hurt!

Convo me if you have any questions.
(Posted at 2:55 am, January 3, 2011 EST)
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Canadians: Ask me about Canada Post and shipping - I work there!

Jump to solution
The reason International Shipping Labels must show shipping price:

in some countries, US excluded, base Value for determining dutiable items and calculating duties and taxes is a sum of the item value as per Customs Declaration integrated with shipping label, and shipping cost (and some other less common costs if any). Putting shipping cost on the label simplifies and speeds up customs clearance.

The shipping value on the Label is just postage, and not necessarily equal to a fee your customer paid for shipping, which also may include cost of packaging, handling, etc. Lesser value is beneficial for your customer, as often it allows to fit the item into Duty Free bracket, or otherwise results in lower duties and taxes. :)

I know that some customers think you're cheating if shipping fee is higher than postage, but when try themselves to ship anything they quickly realize real costs involved. :)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Sandy, I think the shipping display on Tracked Packet labels is something eBay could have fixed but decided not to once Tracked Packet was finally working on PayPal (note it still has the same bug it had a few months ago). An eBay admin said on one of the forum threads that they had no plans to fix it. eBay sellers were upset because of the potential to adversely affect their detailed seller ratings.

I do know I printed a TP label on the CP EST site when it wasn't working on PayPal, and the price did not display on the CP label.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Ebay is probably more concerned about smooth packages passing through Customs in various countries. :) Also, USPS international shipping labels contain shipping fee, at least Priority labels printed via Paypal and on USPS site.

Ebay and Paypal historically had different shipping platforms, and varying agreements with major carriers. The reason they didn't unify the platforms by now, as I was told by Paypal shipping support - Ebay works on a new shipping platform. Once its implemented, it will roll over to Paypal, but of course some differences might be programmed into it, since Paypal has a broader transaction customer base, so carriers may impose more restrictions.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Jacquie

I came across a surprising issue which needs your research. :) Wanted to ship a parcel to Italy by CP International Parcel - Surface, and found that preprinted CP72 forms given in Postal Outlets contain a tracking number starting from CC. The lady at the outlet said they select only destination country on the monitor, but do not enter any addresses (which won't show destination city in web tracking). Similarly, when a shipping label is printed from CP website via EST (and possibly via Personal shipping tool too), the label also contain CC tracking number, and delivery confirmation is included.

In contradiction, CP International Parcels page (http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/send/parcels.jsf#International) and CP Parcel Services Guide (page 25) say that International Parcel Surface and Air are NOT traceable, and don't have delivery confirmation.

I called CP CS, and their supervisors were unable to explain that major contradiction between all documents posted on CP website, and actual labels. Although, internal docs confirm these services are traceable. People from Tracking said, they see these labels are traceable all the way, including on the destination country websites.

Can you possibly find out, why such misinformation is posted on CP website, and where the reality stands? Paypal said they don't offer these services because "they are not traceable"???!!! ::)

I wonder, if you can find Canada Post Tracking Number Classifier, explaining what postal service is associated with each type of tracking number (numbers starting with CC, CX,...), which tracking numbers are traceable only within Canada, and which are around the globe. :)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
We have a order going to czech, we purchased a Small Packet Air Label. When we went into purchase insurance with InsurePost its asking for a unique packaging identifying number....... Since Canada Post changed the Small Packet Air International labels there's no longer a number so what do we use to prove the package was purchased and delivered to the Post Office now???

To add.... I scanned the square code thing on the label and it said a CA number is that what we should be using is that number??? Or, there's a number starting with UR and ends with CA under the bar code, do we use that???

Thanks,
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
For those that ship a lot of surface air from Canada Post, Staples just put on sail the Dymo 4XL, regularly $319 (I almost bought it yesterday, glad I forgot!) to $194, $125 savings plus free shipping.

0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Anyone here ship to France regularly? I was reading that they require an invoice on the outside if it is commercial, but not if it is personal (unless over 300 euros) Do you know what amount is under the limit for paying VAT?

Last year I shipped to France and only used a regular little customs form, (no invoice) had no complaint or feedback from the customer.

I found this Ebay guide helpful, even though it does not mention what the thresholds are for paying VAT and duties.
http://www.ebay.com/gds/VAT-Duty-Duties-Tax-Taxes-Importing-Around-the-World-/10000000016180040/g.ht...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I've shipped to France, small air packet and had no issues. I shipped through paypal and the customs form prints with the label. The customs form requires the price the item.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
So you didn't attach invoices?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
OMG!!! Canda Post downgraded / renovated their one and only post office in Peterborough ON to one wicket - over the weekend. It is literary now a hole in the wall. (the post office that is).

Peterborough has 75,000 people, a college and a university, and a big provinical goverment minisrty (right down the street from the PO). There is only room for about 4 people to wait and today it had several students with their OSAP forms in hand, and two government ministry people each with 6 paper carton boxes full of a mailout. There wasn't room to get in the door. Stuff piled high on the counter. One guy. It is ridiculous! I feel really sorry for the postal staff. It is going to be hell for them.

I find the service at Shopper's iffy, and I don't really trust it. I might end up driving out to a village south of town a couple of times a week. I can hardly believe it.

Sorry, just had to vent somewhere. Looking for sympathy I guess :) Wishing everyone a good start to the fall season. Catherine
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Catherine, why don't you use paypal shipping? I never am in a post office any more since I found paypal :)

Just get a measuring tape, kitchen scale, and a printer and you're all set.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I used to stop at a small post office in a village on my daily commute, and pick up coffee at the same time, and I got great service, so it was enjoyable. I don't commute any more though, and switched to my local PO, but you are right - it is time for me to learn how to do Paypal shipping. I'm sure I can find lots of answers to any questions in this thread. Thanks for your reply Trish.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
PayPal shipping is fantastic and as stated several times here, the discounts are higher than with Venture One membership!

My question is regarding PRIORITY WORLDWIDE - NEXT DAY delivery ~ Canada to USA

A customer contacted me today and wanted something delivered by the weekend in NYC -- I am in Nova Scotia.

Of course I checked PayPal first but saw that they do not offer it at all so when at my favourite local outlet, I asked about it and if the cut-off time for shipping was 5pm, the same as for all their outgoing mail.

It's the same time but I was told that depending on where in NYC it was going, so-called NEXT DAY delivery with Priority was *usually more like 2-3 business days* for actual delivery.

Why in the world does CP state that it's NEXT day delivery? Needless to say, for the cost of $70.00 or thereabouts, it SHOULD be literally NEXT DAY not the 2-3 days .... needless to say, even after paying the full amount + still not being guaranteed delivery by Friday if mailed today [Wed], my customer did not go for it and I don't blame her one bit :o)

Any explanation Jacquie about Priority??
Thanks!
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Dallas, are you in a major city in Nova Scotia or a large town? If your customer is willing to pay for Priority, you may be able to get better service, possibly for less from Fedex, UPS, even Purolator. If the shipment is under $200 in value, your customer will not have to pay any customs brokering fees, so you don't have to worry about that.

Here's a thread about courier shipping from Canada:
https://www.etsy.com/teams/7654/etsy-international/discuss/10520105/page/1

Also I've never heard about this issue with Priority, since technically Fedex is the carrier for this Canada Post service. I thought it was a 1 business day guaranteed. I'd heard about time issues with Xpresspost, but not Priority.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Also I've found calling Fedex and asking for help to work, their customer service staff has always been helpful when I've had shipping issues, and their phone lines are staffed pretty much all the time.

If you use Fedex or UPS, you can arrange for them to pick up your parcel for free too, if you want to get an account and fill out the paperwork online, instead of going to the trouble of driving to the depot.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Tigers,

For France: EUR150 exempt of duty, EUR22 - exempt of VAT.

In your own Couriers thread I gave the link to UPS Country Regulations tool (http://www.ups.com/ga/CountryRegs?loc=en_US). I've seen many similar tools, this is by far the best publicly accessible. Of course, no Country Tariffs linked, but some sites have those for many countries. In some African countries these Tariffs are not published at all. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
terrabryn

Canada Post reports revenue losses every year higher and higher. Main factors are Bank Statements no longer mailed, and of course union & staff pensions. That's why they are outsourcing retail postal operations as a major trend now - to cut staff, later they'll higher contractors and reopen your post office in 2-3 years. :)

I don't think its a good idea to mail official correspondence via Shopper's. But Ministries usually have own staffed post room. From there Canada Post picks up mail each day, no need to go to a post office.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
@Tigers -- thanks for all that info .... I'll definitely check out couriers for future possible use in case I ever encounter a similar situation :)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Sandy Zames,

Re: Ministry mail rooms. That is true! What are those ministry workers doing in there anyway?? Maybe they don't have the budget to do mailings and have thought of a work around. I spent the first half of my career at that ministry. I'll ask one of them next time - send them back to their mail room. LOL.

I'm beginning to realize I was just about as offended by the bare ugly industrial aesthetic of the reno as I was about the service. Starting to get nostalgic for the old post offices with the creaky wooden stairs, tall windows, and the high ceilings. There are still a few beauties around. Port Perry ON for one - if anybody is every going through :)

0 Likes

Jump to solution
I'm also interested in knowing the answer to Sandy's question re: whether or not International Parcel air and surface are trackable. I've seen contradictory information about this too but can't remember where; I've always assumed it's not.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I ship from 3 different postal outlets. all in retail stores, depending on the day & the circumstances. One is a small variety store, one is a Shoppers close to me, & one is a Shoppers close to my partner's job. I don't have any problems, as I tell them what to do & they listen :)

Plus, Paypal shipping does not give you the proof Etsy needs to close a case, so up until now, that has been important to me. I may consider raising my self-insurance more & doing Paypal in the future, but I don't have room in my office for a scale, plus I get 300 regular address labels from Dollarama for $1, which is cheaper than any Paypal label solution would be. I mostly ship light packet anyway, so I can't get big discounts.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Cindy you can use a small electronic scale, we have two; one is 7x10 inches and one a bit smaller. We bought ours online, you may be able to find one in a department store. They don't take much space at all, you can put them in a drawer when not in use.
Not that I'm encouraging you to use Paypal, I'm assuming like myself, you mainly ship by Light Packet and go to the post office to get your customs form stamped.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
exactly - need the stamp! :)

We have one Shoppers we won't go to, but the rest have been fine. I had to file a complaint once & the employee was removed fairly quickly, plus CP refunded me. You can't really lump them all together.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Think I'll try a few different Shoppers for now. See if I can get confident with one. I had a one bad experience in the past, but like you say Cindy they are not all the same.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
WestCoastModern

I seems to figure out what's going on with CP International Parcel services. They were traceable all the way through for awhile. In January 2013 CP removed tracking from International Air and Surface Parcels to push customers paying for Xpresspost. But since very seldom buyers would agree to pay twice as much, CP suffered further revenue losses from that move. They now look at retail outsourcing as main way to cut costs. But the trick is, CP must account for parcels and packages with preprinted labels accepted by 3-rd party outlets to pay them for services. That's why they quietly without any info on CP site re-introduced tracking for most package services. :) But I don't know, if outside of Canada this tracking will work, and if it can be traced via destination country tracking sites.

It seems, no-one at CP CS knows exatly why tracking info on their site is so contradictory. They keep updating the site for 2-3 months now. Also, in some countries tracking is simply not available, and I still wonder if at least Delivery Confirmation will be emailed back to CP by their postal services.

It looks like CP also updates software backend for retail operations. I noticed that in Outlets they now have to manually enter some extra info into the system for parcels with preprinted traceable labels. Also, lately they just scan the barcode, and at times don't press Save button at all. I asked the clerk about it, and she said its now saved automatically. I wonder if its true, hope Jacqui will clarify that.

terrabryn

Actually, Ministry staff would have to pay cash at the post office, or use corporate credit card. Not sure, if its a viable option for them. You seems to have several Ministries in Peterborough. Long drive from Toronto where most of their staff leaves. :) If you ask for labels to be stamped at the outlet, you'd need to stamp your copy too, or take a package photo each time which is a bit awkward to do often without offending their staff. :)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.