On top of my "real" job and my etsy shops, I also work part-time at a Canada Post outlet, for 4 years now. I'm very knowledgeable about all things related to shipping. I can be your resident expert! Ask away and I will do my best to answer clearly.

jackie ♥

Here's the original post from a forum thread I started before etsy did the shut-down to teams :( It describes CP's rate increases for 2011, which took effect on January 17th.

Like clockwork, Canada Post is raising their rates as of January 17th. I work at the post office part-time so I thought I would give my fellow Canadians a head's up. Here's a link to the complete list of new rates including all the price tables you could ever want (a very helpful sleep aid for insomniacs!).

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/ (click on the red "new prices" button)

I'm not sure how bad the increase is for domestic and US Expedited parcel rates, but here are the new Lettermail, Oversize Lettermail, Light Packet, and Small Packet rates.

Lettermail (max 24.5 X 15.6 X .5cm):
Canada >>
0.59 (0-30g)
1.03 (31-50g)
USA >>
1.03 (0-30g)
1.25 (31-50g)
International >>
1.75 (0-30g)
2.50 (31-50g)

Oversize Lettermail (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
Canada >>
1.25 (0-100g)
2.06 (101-200g)
2.85 (201-300g)
3.25 (301-400g)
3.50 (401-500g)
USA >> (printed matter only)
2.06 (0-100g)
3.60 (101-200g)
7.20 (201-500g)
International >> (printed matter only)
4.10 (0-100g)
7.20 (101-200g)
14.40 (201-500g)

Light Packet (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
USA >> 4% increase over 2010
2.36 (0-100g)
4.92 (101-250g)
7.91 (251-500g)
International >> 3.5% increase over 2010!
4.60 (0-100g)
9.25 (101-250g)
15.80 (251-500g)

Small Packet (max L + W + H = 90cm)
USA >> 7.5% increase over 2010!
Surface 5.85 (0-250g)
Airmail 7.46
Surface 8.35 (251-500g)
Airmail 9.90
Surface 12.41 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 15.36
International >> (rates vary according to the country.. please see zone and rate tables through the link above. Amounts below are for shipments to the United Kingdom, zone 02 - surface rates are 10% higher than 2010, airmail rates are 8% higher, except in the 1-2kg category)
Surface 6.54 (0-250g)
Airmail 8.53
Surface 8.95 (251-500g)
Airmail 17.06
Surface 15.02 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 33.45
Surface 21.07 (1-2kg)
Airmail 50.26

I don't know about you, but I am really bummed about this. Increases of 7 and 10% are really going to hurt!

Convo me if you have any questions.
(Posted at 2:55 am, January 3, 2011 EST)

Re: Canadians: Ask me about Canada Post and shipping - I work there!

Jump to solution
Interesting - I hadn't noticed that. I do my accounting using my half of the label printout, which did include the tax on the last Canadian order I printed, so make sure you hang on to those!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hello!

I'm relatively new to Etsy. So far I have only sold items that would be considered parcels so I have used the parcel shipping option provided by Canada Post. I have a few tiny items that I would like to add to my shop though and I'm stuck on which shipping route to go with.
I would be using 18cmx12cm poly envelopes and the maximum height would be no more than 2cm, weighing 0.015kg. I checked the Canada Post website and it seems like something of this size and weight could fall under large envelope for a letter or document which would cost $2.03 if sent within Canada, a significant price jump from $10.66 for a regular parcel!
When I attempt to set my shipping costs on my listings Etsy doesn't include a large envelope or light packet option in the estimated shipping costs tool (only parcel, cylindrical mailing tube and non-cylindrical mailing tube). How can I provide this shipping option for my “tiny listings”? Is it possible to purchase shipping labels for large envelopes or something similar in price only after an item is sold? Or do I have to add the stamp and write the information out myself? What is your experience with this?

Thanks!
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Etsy does not give estimates for Oversized Letter, nor do they over postage labels for it.

Yes Oversized letter is an affordable way to ship small flat envelopes WITHIN Canada. Unlike Regular and Expedited parcels, there is no tracking, no insurance (nor option to buy), and Canada Post will be fairly unhelpful if an envelope goes missing. But I have been shipping by this service for years, and problems are rare.

You will have to write the address labels by hand and either go to a post office to buy a label, or you can buy stamps ahead of time and use those.

For shipping WITHIN Canada, you can ship almost anything that fits within the size parameters by OVERSIZED letter (not the same as standard letter), except for prohibited items such as lighters and matches.
https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGletterml-e.asp#1392028

PRicing: https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/Canada.pdf

For shipping OUTSIDE Canada, only paper goods can ship as Letter & Oversized letter.
Light Packet, which has the same size parameters (weight categories differ) as Oversized Letter, was created specifically to handle shipping small items Internationally since goods/items must go through extra handling and customs clearance, versus letters.

When I ship by Oversized Letter sometimes I use stamps, but usually I prefer to go to the post office and ask them to print a postage label for Oversized Letter.
This is because the clerk will usually input the postal code into their computer, that is then printed on the bill and is my proof of sending....that I shipped to that postal code.

Be sure to protect the goods you choose to ship by Oversized letter because these envelopes will be going through sorting machines.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
tigersanddragons,

Thank you for your response and all of the information you provided. It was very helpful.
0 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
FYI, I just received a mailing from Canada Post that says they are offering one free online ExpressPost or Expedited shipment anywhere in Canada every Tuesday in October. With free pick-up. It has to be done through Snap Ship.

FYI there are 5 Tuesdays in October.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I usually use Insure Post for third party insurance the odd time I need it. They do not insure to Thailand. Can anyone recommend another insurance provider?

0 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Catherine, I always use U-Pic for insurance when I have to buy it off-Etsy. I made a claim with them once and they were great to deal with. I was sad when Etsy changed the in house insurance company.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Thailand isn't one of the countries that U-Pic covers when you purchase
directly on a per shipment basis.
https://u-pic.com/faqs

Catherine, depending on how much/often insurance you buy - you may want to set up an direct policy account for monthly coverage with Either Shipsurance or U-Pic. Those types of accounts/policies exclude very few countries, compared to the short list of countries for coverage pay-as-you-go insurance by InsurePost (sister company to Shipsurance).

I believe that U-Pic charges a higher rate for insuring jewellery than Shipsurance does. but I've never asked either company for a quote for monthly coverage.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you both for your replies! Very helpful and much appreciated.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Did anyone Try the first "Free Canada Wide Shipping" This Tuesday?

I'm asking because I know someone who did and it has been an ongoing hassle and nightmare which has wasted much of her time.

- First the scheduled pickup person refused to take the parcel, because the CP label (printed from CP website) did not show a dollar value. Said they never heard of this program, ignored flyer that she showed him, and left.
- After talking to CP customer service, they apologized and sent another person to pick up the parcel.

- She was contacted a few days later and told that the post office refused to process it, since it didn't have a dollar value. That she would have to drive across the city to pick it up.

- After spending more time on phone, told that it is a "technical issue", with no real explanation of what the heck is going on. Also again, some Canada Post customer service reps. had not heard about this program.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I also saw several complaints in the forum from people who could not access Snap Ship to buy a label

I don't usually ship on Tuesdays, but I may try to use this on Tues because I have been away for a week & have a backlog of orders. Shipping the oldest one Xpresspost might be a nice gesture.
0 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
tigers, I used it last week with no problem. My package crawled across the country as per usual. I just printed my second free label this morning with no problem accessing the Snap Ship site. Hopefully, there will be no issues with this package either. I made sure that I printed the label as soon as I got up since people were saying last week that the website wasn't working later in the day. I did not use the free pick up option last week and I am dropped off my package this week as well.

I have an ongoing thread with the websites and codes upstairs https://www.etsy.com/teams/7722/discussions/discuss/18490547

Today's code is OCT10.

I have another free package scheduled for next Tuesday already.
0 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Dropping, not dropped.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I also used the the promo code both Tuesdays to print labels.
I have not tried the pick up service, and don't plan to.
I find the snap ship site super easy to use.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My first free label was delivered in 2 days with no issues last week; just printed my second to ship tomorrow.
0 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
I've used the code in each of the last 3 Tuesdays with no issues.

FYI Canadian sellers can get 50 free listings from Etsy here https://www.etsy.com/ca/promotions
0 Likes

Jump to solution
The forum is NOT FOR PROMOTIONS OR ADVERTISING!! Previous post has been removed and the person removed from the team.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Last chance today to get a free shipping label from Canada Post! Code is OCT31.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Canada Post's website is down totally this afternoon. They're thinking of extending the free shipping Tuesdays because of it.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Finally got my shipping label printed on CP's website. Yay!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Beth is right, they have extended it ... YAY

"To make it up, we will be extending our Free Shipping Tuesday promotion for one more Tuesday - On November 7th, ship an Xpresspost™ or Expedited Parcel™ for free anywhere within Canada using our new online tool, Canada Post Snap Ship™. And we’ll even come pick it up1 – also free! Just our way of saying thanks."
0 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Arlene, thanks for posting that! Woo hoo!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Don't ship international often ..please help any issues I need to know for package going to Thailand?? Thanks in advance
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
I've never shipped to Thailand, but I haven't heard of any issues from other sellers.
Canada Post has this informative guide for each country, best to read it before shipping to any country, so see if what you sell is prohibited to import into that country:
https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGintdest-e.asp

I find this website handy, especially when I want to know customs value limits - https://www.ups.com/ga/CountryRegs?loc=en_US
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.