On top of my "real" job and my etsy shops, I also work part-time at a Canada Post outlet, for 4 years now. I'm very knowledgeable about all things related to shipping. I can be your resident expert! Ask away and I will do my best to answer clearly.

jackie ♥

Here's the original post from a forum thread I started before etsy did the shut-down to teams :( It describes CP's rate increases for 2011, which took effect on January 17th.

Like clockwork, Canada Post is raising their rates as of January 17th. I work at the post office part-time so I thought I would give my fellow Canadians a head's up. Here's a link to the complete list of new rates including all the price tables you could ever want (a very helpful sleep aid for insomniacs!).

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/ (click on the red "new prices" button)

I'm not sure how bad the increase is for domestic and US Expedited parcel rates, but here are the new Lettermail, Oversize Lettermail, Light Packet, and Small Packet rates.

Lettermail (max 24.5 X 15.6 X .5cm):
Canada >>
0.59 (0-30g)
1.03 (31-50g)
USA >>
1.03 (0-30g)
1.25 (31-50g)
International >>
1.75 (0-30g)
2.50 (31-50g)

Oversize Lettermail (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
Canada >>
1.25 (0-100g)
2.06 (101-200g)
2.85 (201-300g)
3.25 (301-400g)
3.50 (401-500g)
USA >> (printed matter only)
2.06 (0-100g)
3.60 (101-200g)
7.20 (201-500g)
International >> (printed matter only)
4.10 (0-100g)
7.20 (101-200g)
14.40 (201-500g)

Light Packet (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
USA >> 4% increase over 2010
2.36 (0-100g)
4.92 (101-250g)
7.91 (251-500g)
International >> 3.5% increase over 2010!
4.60 (0-100g)
9.25 (101-250g)
15.80 (251-500g)

Small Packet (max L + W + H = 90cm)
USA >> 7.5% increase over 2010!
Surface 5.85 (0-250g)
Airmail 7.46
Surface 8.35 (251-500g)
Airmail 9.90
Surface 12.41 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 15.36
International >> (rates vary according to the country.. please see zone and rate tables through the link above. Amounts below are for shipments to the United Kingdom, zone 02 - surface rates are 10% higher than 2010, airmail rates are 8% higher, except in the 1-2kg category)
Surface 6.54 (0-250g)
Airmail 8.53
Surface 8.95 (251-500g)
Airmail 17.06
Surface 15.02 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 33.45
Surface 21.07 (1-2kg)
Airmail 50.26

I don't know about you, but I am really bummed about this. Increases of 7 and 10% are really going to hurt!

Convo me if you have any questions.
(Posted at 2:55 am, January 3, 2011 EST)

Re: Canadians: Ask me about Canada Post and shipping - I work there!

Jump to solution
All is fine with labels for Canada Post. Thankfully my package is going in the same city so it should be delivered tomorrow, Wednesday the latest!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
The latest news this morning. They are still at the table.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-post-strike-lockout-1.3663304
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Canada Post just gave notice for Friday July 8th:
https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?article=2016/07/05/canada_post_tak...

although that does not necessarily mean that there will be no service that day. I expect that the union will respond, however.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Cindy, I read your post on the other page about the 72 hour rule, if the union responds with a strike, they still have to give notice?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
As I understand it, the union cannot strike now until after the lockout/work disruption starts; a lockout or strike must already be under way for the 72 hour rule to not apply.

What I am seeing on social media tonight is that the union is not calling a strike right now, although I can't find a direct link to the press release yet.
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/canada-post-issues-72-hour-lockout-notice-to-union-1.2973185
So that would mean there could be some mail service Friday. But if the company were to cancel most shifts or do anything that the union found to be too intolerable, the union should be able to strike immediately on Friday. And while CP said that their notice does not mean there will be no mail Friday, it seems they can make this a full lockout without giving additional notice (again, just going by media quotes; that's not clear from the legislation I've read. Probably need to look at the regs or even the case law)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thankfully my package is out for delivery this morning. Hope she'e home or can pick it up before Friday!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
So, almost 3 months ago I sent a parcel to the US using Canada Post's Tracked Packet. It was scanned as delivered, but according to my customer it was stolen from their mail box which apparently is in an urban area, not on their property and is not locked.

I replaced the item, and Canada Post has very kindly decided to allow me to collect on the insurance claim, even though I am under the impression people in the US have the option to purchase a locking insert for their mail box.

But... I don't understand how they plan to pay out this insurance claim.

This is what they said.

"Therefore, we have proceeded with a claim in the amount of $ 114.63. This amount includes the liability coverage of $100 CAD which is included with this service, and your postage.

If you are a Canada Post commercial customer, a credit will appear on your account. If you are not a commercial customer, you will receive a cheque in a separate mailing within 10 business days. "

I have a Venture card, and I suppose I am a commercial user of their services, but I almost never purchase postage directly through the Post Office. I always use Etsy shipping labels. Will they credit my Etsy account I used to purchase the shipping label or does this mean I have to fill out a bunch of customs labels and address parcels by hand and then take them into the Post Office to use my credit?

I would have really just prefered a check to pay for the piece I remade and sent with no compensation.... This is the first time I have had an insurance claim with them.

0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
A Venture One card is not the same as having a commercial account that buys postage DIRECT from the Canada Post website. I'm fairly sure that you will receive a cheque in the mail.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Yaay! That is nice! Thanks!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Note - CP Expedited USA labels printed through PayPal are now displaying the postage price on the label.

I just printed one for the first time in awhile and was not happy to see the postage price displayed. Previously it was always hidden. I know Tracked Packet has always displayed the price, but now Expedited?

I don't print CP labels through Etsy shipping as I use it for USPS. Does anyone know if Expedited USA on Etsy labels also displays the postage price now, or if this is just a PayPal thing?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I can't say for Expedited, but I printed a Light Packet USA yesterday on Etsy and there was no postage showing. Hopefully someone else here can answer specifically for you.

I have a separate question: I've never used Paypal shipping labels before but am about to (for my standalone site)

My question is: what information is on the email automatically sent to my buyer when I purchase a Light Packet Air Paypal shipping label - specifically does it state that the expected delivery time for Light Packet Air is 4-7 business days (as per the Canada Post standard?)

Can I see a copy of the email sent to my buyer somewhere in my Paypal account?

0 Likes

Jump to solution
I have since learned that eBay help pages state that the shipping cost will always appears on international labels. This must be fairly recent. Still wondering if this is the case with Etsy labels or if that will change soon?

The Paypal notification email to the buyer does show the delivery service and standard, as does the corresponding CP email that is also automatically sent to the buyer. I know this from having to send a $1 invoice from my primary PayPal account to my other PayPal account in order to (once the invoice is paid) be able to create a CP shipping label for a non-PayPal Etsy transaction paid with direct checkout. The notifications are sent to my other PayPal account.

(I think it was tigers who posted this PayPal label workaround awhile back after PayPal discontinued the ShipNow feature.)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Also I learned that Chit Chats Express cross-border USPS shipping recently opened a BC location in Richmond. The duty free limit for US buyers was increased to $800 USD in February so this might have something to do with it.

http://chitchatsexpress.com/chit-chats-express-british-columbia/

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Can you put scannable/tracked packages in street boxes?

I seem to remember my Expedited printouts from PayPal saying something about bringing it directly to the PO if it needed scanning.
Thanks.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
If you drop it in a mailbox, then it may not get scanned for awhile. Some Etsians have reported issues of their parcels seeming to be "lost" for days before eventually being scanned in the system.

Also if you are shipping using guaranteed services such as Xpresspost, then the time guarantee will be void. There has to be proof of when it was was shipped.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you tigersanddragons.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
CANADA POST RATE REDUCTION - For Remote Areas
"Canada Post implemented reduced rates for Priority™, Xpresspost™, Expedited Parcel™ and Regular Parcel™ shipping services being used to and from certain REMOTE locations (Canada Post Air Stage locations)."

The overall weighted average price reduction across all parcel services for Air Stage locations is 20%. A list of designated Air Stage offices can be found at www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/RCRZ-e-AIR.pdf

https://www.etsy.com/ca/teams/7716/announcements/discuss/18013777/
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Reaching out to regulars who read this thread, and who print Etsy's Canada Post labels.

Have you ever had to file for a refund for late service for Xpresspost on a shipment where you bought the labels from Etsy? Did CP refund you directly, or were there issues?
How about on insurance claims on CP shipping labels?

Someone has reached out to me who tried to file for a late delivery on Xpresspost USA, and was told that Etsy was the client, and Etsy had to file for the refund!

I have read in the regular forums posts from American Sellers who have this exact same issues when they try to file insurance claims for Fedex labels that they print through Etsy. And Etsy won't help them.
If this is how Etsy labels are going to work, that doesn't bode well for sellers...especially with Etsy's recent addition that allows Canadian sellers to buy Fedex labels direct from Etsy.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
The problem is Etsy links to the Canada Post website to claim a refund, not a form to fill out on Etsy.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Anyone having issues using the FREE SHIP TUESDAY promotion code from Canada Post today? I keep getting an error.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
I haven't even heard of it. If you are getting an error, than you can try contacting Canada Post to see if they can help you
- there are links on the website to send an email
- There is the toll free phone number

You could also post on CP's facebook page, or Tweet to them that the code isn't working.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
I haven't heard anything, and I shipped out some small packets this week.

IF CP is actually changing this, it would be because they would be typing the info. and sending it electronically which they do for all services that have a tracking number. But I fail to see how that would work for Light Packet and Small Packet since these parcels do not have unique numbers to attach this info. to. International customs laws would still require the customs declaration for small and light packets.

I would be skeptical about that info., a few years go on the phone with a CP customer service rep. he told me that Light Packet was cancelled and no longer existed...when I questioned him on it, he got off the phone for awhile to talk to a "supervisor", and still held that position.

The CP website is doing maintenance today and tomorrow, I will check it out after that.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you I will pass on that info. I did also see they were under maintenance. Perhaps tomorrow.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Can items go in the Expresspost pre-paid container? I have looked up rates and it gives me a prepaid container for parcel options. It's cheaper than the regular express post. Is this different than a prepaid envelope?
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.