On top of my "real" job and my etsy shops, I also work part-time at a Canada Post outlet, for 4 years now. I'm very knowledgeable about all things related to shipping. I can be your resident expert! Ask away and I will do my best to answer clearly.

jackie ♥

Here's the original post from a forum thread I started before etsy did the shut-down to teams :( It describes CP's rate increases for 2011, which took effect on January 17th.

Like clockwork, Canada Post is raising their rates as of January 17th. I work at the post office part-time so I thought I would give my fellow Canadians a head's up. Here's a link to the complete list of new rates including all the price tables you could ever want (a very helpful sleep aid for insomniacs!).

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/ (click on the red "new prices" button)

I'm not sure how bad the increase is for domestic and US Expedited parcel rates, but here are the new Lettermail, Oversize Lettermail, Light Packet, and Small Packet rates.

Lettermail (max 24.5 X 15.6 X .5cm):
Canada >>
0.59 (0-30g)
1.03 (31-50g)
USA >>
1.03 (0-30g)
1.25 (31-50g)
International >>
1.75 (0-30g)
2.50 (31-50g)

Oversize Lettermail (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
Canada >>
1.25 (0-100g)
2.06 (101-200g)
2.85 (201-300g)
3.25 (301-400g)
3.50 (401-500g)
USA >> (printed matter only)
2.06 (0-100g)
3.60 (101-200g)
7.20 (201-500g)
International >> (printed matter only)
4.10 (0-100g)
7.20 (101-200g)
14.40 (201-500g)

Light Packet (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
USA >> 4% increase over 2010
2.36 (0-100g)
4.92 (101-250g)
7.91 (251-500g)
International >> 3.5% increase over 2010!
4.60 (0-100g)
9.25 (101-250g)
15.80 (251-500g)

Small Packet (max L + W + H = 90cm)
USA >> 7.5% increase over 2010!
Surface 5.85 (0-250g)
Airmail 7.46
Surface 8.35 (251-500g)
Airmail 9.90
Surface 12.41 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 15.36
International >> (rates vary according to the country.. please see zone and rate tables through the link above. Amounts below are for shipments to the United Kingdom, zone 02 - surface rates are 10% higher than 2010, airmail rates are 8% higher, except in the 1-2kg category)
Surface 6.54 (0-250g)
Airmail 8.53
Surface 8.95 (251-500g)
Airmail 17.06
Surface 15.02 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 33.45
Surface 21.07 (1-2kg)
Airmail 50.26

I don't know about you, but I am really bummed about this. Increases of 7 and 10% are really going to hurt!

Convo me if you have any questions.
(Posted at 2:55 am, January 3, 2011 EST)
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Re: Canadians: Ask me about Canada Post and shipping - I work there!

Jump to solution
Light Packet & Oversized/Other/Non Standard Lettermail and Letterpost
Minimum - 140mm x 90mm x .18mm (yes, that is a decimal)
Minimum weight 3-5 grams - Canada Only
Maximum - 38cm X 27cm X 2 cm (multiple by 10 for dimensions in mm)
Maximum weight - 500 grams

Small packet & Tracked Packet
Minimum - 140mm x 90mm x 1mm
Maximum - 900 mm (length + width + height) The greatest dimension is less than 600 mm
Maximum weight - 1 kilogram to USA, 2 kilo for International

Mailing Tube
Minimum - 210mm x 45mm x 45mm
Doesn't give a maximum
A surcharge will be applied to mailing tubes that are cylindrical in shape, excluding when shipping via Priority Worldwide, Small Packet and Tracked Packet services.

Info above From the guide - section 3.1 & 3.2
https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGpsus_int-e.asp

I have never mailed a tube, but for narrow items, before you package it, check the rates in the Canada Post calculator. Fiddle around with the width dimension and see if it makes a difference in the cost.
A couple of years ago I brought a long narrow flat object to the post office (a wooden cookie press), and the price I was quoted for Small Packet was much higher than the usual for that weight class. So I took it back home, checked the CP rate calculator and found that if I repackaged it so that it was approx. 1" wider, the rate went back to normal. A decade before that I tried to mail a cassette tape (wrapped in craft paper) and ran into a similar pricing issue - it was too small.

Jacquie has stated in the past here that you should use the Small Packet Customs form as a guide, if it doesn't fit on your parcel without rolling over, then your parcel is likely undersized and will therefore cost more to ship.

On the previous topic. Did you measure the local street mailbox? What were the dimensions?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Also, you may be interested in reading section 3.2.1 from this page, for suggestions on packing long and/or crushable items (art prints, maps)
https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGabcmail-e.asp

Section 3.4 describes how to calculate volumetric weight, including diagrams for round tubes, and triangular tubes.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Have you checked out section 3.2.2.2 Live day-old chicks. Canada Post delivers chicks!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Goldenstone,
As long as your tube is less than 60cm long, it should be ok to go Small Packet/Tracked Packet. There is no tube surcharge for those 2 services. The minimum size Tigers mentioned, specifically the 45mm x 45mm width/height, is a bit of a question mark. I tried 30mm x 30mm online and it accepted it... which makes sense since there's no longer any place to specify that it's a tube. However at the post office, there is a checkbox to specify that an item is a mailing tube... on the first screen where the clerk enters the measurements. So it's *possible* that a tube less than 45mm width/height might be rejected at the p.o. I'll check that out tomorrow when I'm there.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Very interesting, thank you all!

I was considering to try vintage clothes, but found that Certificate of Sterilization may be required.

Is it so? It seems that getting it for each item is too much trouble, if this is possible at all.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I am new to Etsy, but I must say that I appreciate that you are all posting very important information here. Thank you very much.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Natalie, believe it or not but I've ordered chicks before (my dad used to all the time), there were restrictions, had to be certain days etc but they all arrived alive!

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Question - I ship jewellery internationally via light packet air....am I allowed to put "merchandise" on my CN22? How specific do I need to get? There is no insurance on these and obviously want to make sure they don't get stolen. (*I have been doing this for 5+ years and sent ~ 8,000 packages out of Canada marked necklace/earrings/bracelet but thought I'd ask anyway) Thanks!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Elizabeth, I write "fashion accessory" and never had problems :)

If you have jewelry that is not considered "costume jewelry" (silver, gold, diamond, etc.), just make sure the destination country has no restictions with those.

Maybe others will have other ideas?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Well - it is considered "bridge jewellery" - sterling silver, gold vermeil, etc and I do have diamond pieces (those I do insure).....and I am aware of certain countries restrictions. I guess mostly I am wondering about US/UK and Australia :)
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Elizabeth. Check off the box that says "Other documentation" on the CN22 customs form, and cross out the word "documentation".

Technically you are supposed to be more specific about material content and type of jewellery, but I understand worries about theft. If you ship anything by a postal service besides Light & Small packet, then you will have to have the correct Harmonized Customs code, which is very specific when it comes to jewellery.

CUSTOMS
- Filling out the Customs form online instead of paper (you can still use paper forms for Light and Small Packet)
www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/cdc?execution=e6s1

-Finding the Harmonized Code for the items you ship
www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s1

INSURANCE
You CAN INSURE - buy insurance online from InsurePost, for Small and Light Packet to many countries, it costs $1.50 USD per $100 coverage. Just be sure to have your customs form stamped as the post office as your proof of sending (along with your receipt). Well worth the piece of mind.

Or you can "Self insure", charge a bit extra on the shipping or item cost, save that money as a fund to cover the rare times you need to replace or refund.

RESTRICTIONS
International Destination Listing - for specific info. on regulations for shipping to specific countries - prohibited and restricted items. Also lists what postal services are available to that country,
www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGintdest-e.asp

I find this guide from the courier UPS to be helpful concerning shipping regulations - especially the area on restricted items, value limits, and gift exemptions.
www.ups.com/ga/CountryRegs?loc=en_US
From the Commodity Specific page for shipping from Canada to AUSTRALIA
"Jewelry
Jewelery Shipments with a value less than $1000.00 AUD require Evidence of Price Paid or Sale. This can be in the form of Bank Statements showing proof of payment for the goods, or Credit Card statements or other Receipts showing the actual monetary transaction for the goods."

*AUSTRALIA*
I have read more than once in the forums about sellers having problems shipping precious metal jewellery to Australia.
https://www.etsy.com/ca/teams/7718/questions/discuss/14746342/

For comments from American sellers, I believe the stipulation on jewellery is actually coming from USPS. USPS does not want to insure precious jewellery shipments to Australia (or Canada for that matter), unless sent by very specific means. I've argued in the forums with American sellers about shipping jewellery to Canada; they believe Canada doesn't allow importation of precious jewellery, which is completely bogus. The issue is USPS protecting itself from a large amount of insurance claims for stolen packages, but requiring precious jewellery to be shipped by specific services.
Canada Post does have some stipulations about how much they are wiling to insure jewellery. Any other restrictions will be country specific, click on CP link I gave above.

The maximum amount payable by Canada Post (if you ship by CP insured services): $500 for shipments containing: coins, jewellery, manufactured and non-manufactured precious stones and metals, cancelled or uncancelled postage stamps.

It is $100 for shipments containing: gift certificates, gift cards, phone cards
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi! I have a question regarding packages being returned to sender.
I shipped a package via Xpresspost to France and the customer refused it due to extremely high customs fees.
I got the package back in the mail but didn't have to pay anything, which is weird because Xpresspost packages are supposed to be returned at my (the sender) expense. It happened to me a couple of times and I had to pick up the package at the post office and pay the shipping fees, but not this time.

My question is: is it possible that Canada Post will send me a bill for the return shipping cost, or is it safe to assume that now that I got the package in hands they won't charge anything?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Joelle,
I haven't done an incoming returned parcel at the p.o. in a while, but it used to be that the postal clerk had to toggle a "postage due" button when inputting the parcel into the system. If that step was missed, when the customer comes in to pick it up, there would be nothing on the screen to show that an amount was due. If the clerk handing the parcel over didn't happen to notice that it was a return, then the customer could walk away without paying. It's possible that's what's happened in your case... or some variation of it. I've never heard of anyone being charged after they have picked a parcel up. I don't think CP does that.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you for your answer Jacquie! I didn't even have to pick it up at the post office, it was delivered by the mailman.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Joelle, I'm assuming this was a parcel with your own packaging and the Xpresspost shipping labels added? While it is possible, I doubt very much that you will receive a bill from CP. CP does it's collecting up front.

The only return to sender parcels I have received were Light Packets, and just like Letters, CP doesn't charge a return shipping fee on those.

I just had a quick look at your shop, and policies. You should put a notice in your policies (and checkout message) concerning Customs fees, taxes, VAT: that the customer is responsible for these fees. Also consider something in your policies about shipments that are returned due to avoidance of customs fees and or incorrect address provided by customer.

Did you notice my previous post above, that CP will only insure jewellery up to $500 in value?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Tigers, yes I'm aware that Canada Post only insures up to $500 for jewelry, and I do have in my policies that customs fees and taxes are the buyers responsibilty. In this particular case the customer would have had to pay 400 euros in brokerage fees for a $300 ring, which is insane. We discussed the issue privately and agreed that the best was for him to refuse the package, and that I would issue a refund minus shipping (including return shipping) costs. Before I issued the refund, I just wanted to see if I should wait to see if I received a bill or if it was safe to issue the refund for the item right now.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
400 Euros: it is very likely that it was actually an error in the paperwork, or your customer misread what was send to them. Perhaps the ring was considered to have a $3000 value instead of $300, by whichever agency did the paperwork.

For France, the cost of the shipping is considered to be part of the value - so $300USD + $77USD= $377USD = 351 Euros
http://www.dutycalculator.com

The fee should of been approx. 80 Euros for 2.5%duty and 20% VAT.
There could be additional handling and clearance fee as well, but that would never be so huge, as to bring up the total to 400 Euro.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Tigers, it was not a mistake, but I won't discuss it here. I got my answer thank you.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi everyone! Just received a package that I sent to my customer about 5-6 weeks ago... he customer never mentioned she was sending it back nor asked me where her package is... so I wonder what happened... Did you ever have a package returned with a yellow sticker that says "forward time exp Rtn to Send"?

(edited) I just realized that on the yellow sticker there is another address that the one she gave me (I checked : the paypal address and the etsy addresses are the same and I sent it to that address, but on the yellow sticker it states another address... maybe she had mail forwarded to a new address and didn't change it in Etsy and she didn't pick it up at the post office in time?), Help!
0 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Jump to solution
Celine - I wouldn't do anything. if the buyer contacts you she can pay for new shipping to the correct address. sounds like she has had the new address for awhile.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
This has happened to me, except that the customers realizes after a week or two that they had provided an out-of-date address, and contacts me, expecting me to fix it.

I would suggest you contact the buyer and tell her the parcel was returned, then give her the choice of either;
a) She can pay for reshipping to the correct address. Send her a Paypal invoice for the shipping cost.
b) You will refund the original item price but NOT the shipping, and relist the item to sell to someone else (as long as it isn't a custom or personalized item).
0 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Jump to solution
don't do anything. wait for the buyer to contact you. if she hasn't yet. she may never. deal with it if and when she does.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thanks Tigers and Vic :) I sent her an email already but I didn't know if I could presume that she changed her address. So I was waiting for her to confirm it and then give her the options as Tigers mentions. With the info I have it seemed a change of address, but I wasn't sure...
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Be sure to photograph the envelope, as proof that you did send it, and that there was a problem with the address. That's what I've done whenever a shipment has returned to me.
And I totally disagree with Vic -- The customer has paid for goods. Even if it is their fault that the address is wrong or old.....if the goods are back in my hands, as a seller: it is not right (or legal IMO) to keep the goods and all the money too.

If the goods were completely lost because of their mistake, that's a different situation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi Tigers, I absolutely agree with you, I would not want to keep the money since I got the item back :) I did take a picture of the returned envelope :) She just replied to me that she wants me to resend the package (it was a mistake, she thought she updated the address)... I hope she will agree to pay the shipping fees. I will refund her - minus the shipping fees - if not... Thanks for your advice :)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.