On top of my "real" job and my etsy shops, I also work part-time at a Canada Post outlet, for 4 years now. I'm very knowledgeable about all things related to shipping. I can be your resident expert! Ask away and I will do my best to answer clearly.

jackie ♥

Here's the original post from a forum thread I started before etsy did the shut-down to teams :( It describes CP's rate increases for 2011, which took effect on January 17th.

Like clockwork, Canada Post is raising their rates as of January 17th. I work at the post office part-time so I thought I would give my fellow Canadians a head's up. Here's a link to the complete list of new rates including all the price tables you could ever want (a very helpful sleep aid for insomniacs!).

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/ (click on the red "new prices" button)

I'm not sure how bad the increase is for domestic and US Expedited parcel rates, but here are the new Lettermail, Oversize Lettermail, Light Packet, and Small Packet rates.

Lettermail (max 24.5 X 15.6 X .5cm):
Canada >>
0.59 (0-30g)
1.03 (31-50g)
USA >>
1.03 (0-30g)
1.25 (31-50g)
International >>
1.75 (0-30g)
2.50 (31-50g)

Oversize Lettermail (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
Canada >>
1.25 (0-100g)
2.06 (101-200g)
2.85 (201-300g)
3.25 (301-400g)
3.50 (401-500g)
USA >> (printed matter only)
2.06 (0-100g)
3.60 (101-200g)
7.20 (201-500g)
International >> (printed matter only)
4.10 (0-100g)
7.20 (101-200g)
14.40 (201-500g)

Light Packet (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
USA >> 4% increase over 2010
2.36 (0-100g)
4.92 (101-250g)
7.91 (251-500g)
International >> 3.5% increase over 2010!
4.60 (0-100g)
9.25 (101-250g)
15.80 (251-500g)

Small Packet (max L + W + H = 90cm)
USA >> 7.5% increase over 2010!
Surface 5.85 (0-250g)
Airmail 7.46
Surface 8.35 (251-500g)
Airmail 9.90
Surface 12.41 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 15.36
International >> (rates vary according to the country.. please see zone and rate tables through the link above. Amounts below are for shipments to the United Kingdom, zone 02 - surface rates are 10% higher than 2010, airmail rates are 8% higher, except in the 1-2kg category)
Surface 6.54 (0-250g)
Airmail 8.53
Surface 8.95 (251-500g)
Airmail 17.06
Surface 15.02 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 33.45
Surface 21.07 (1-2kg)
Airmail 50.26

I don't know about you, but I am really bummed about this. Increases of 7 and 10% are really going to hurt!

Convo me if you have any questions.
(Posted at 2:55 am, January 3, 2011 EST)
CustomCharmFarm
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Canadians: Ask me about Canada Post and shipping - I work there!

Jump to solution
Thanks so much Cindy,,
I was getting discouraged for a bit with a big ZERO beside my name. ;0)

I completely forgot about the dollar store for labels ... I think I paid $10 for the Avery! You are gonna drop my costs even lower!,, that means more savings for all my customers! That makes everyone happy! :)

Thanks again, Tigers and Cindy!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I mailed an item within Canada and it was going to cost 12 bucks due to it not fitting through the slot. It was a light bracelet which only cost $6.00. I had to cancel the sale. Luckily the buyer understood.
Why do things cost less to send to the US? If i sent that to the states it would have been not more than $8.00.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Parcel services within Canada (Regular parcel, Expedited, etc.) ALWAYS include tracking, but Light and Small Packet to the USA does not. Tracked packet USA is a comparable service to Regular Parcel & Expedited.

Canada has a larger landmass with 1/10th the population of the USA, with a very uneven population spread (compared to the USA). Therefore the costs for postal services are higher in Canada.
Also the prices set for shipping from Canada to the USA are partially set by
by USPS - they do all the fine sorting and delivery which are the more labor intensive parts of the shipping process.

As a business person, it's important to consider how shipping price will affect your number of sales. Sometimes that means you change what you are selling, or group items together to be more enticingly cost effective.

You can pre-measure your bracelets before listing them, so you will know if they can go by Oversized Letter and Light Packet (to other countries) or not. Perhaps you should consider grouping inexpensive bracelets together, as these are generally pretty light, and the shipping cost will seem more proportional. Or increase the sale price of one item to cover part of the shipping fee, so the shipping does not look so out of proportion.

When I used to sell vintage I had some cool printing press metal & wood blocks, most were too thick to go Oversized Letter. I put a note on the listing for Canadians; stating the reason for the higher shipping price, and a suggestion that they should consider combining this item with others to get a better combined shipping rate.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I wish Canada didn't have tracked packages. I don't understand that. i don't know about coupling items for example my bangles because i find that people rarely purchase them. They usually like just one.
thanks for your info TandD.
good idea to put a note within each listing to explain the pricing for Candadians/
I actually made up a hard cardboard slot to see if my items will fit through. I also have a scale.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
I doubt it would lower the price much, if domestic parcels didn't have tracking. And if you have ever had to talk to Canada Post about a missing Oversized Letter which has no tracking (CP doesn't care, will do very little), it would make you thankful that there is tracking for domestic parcel services.

We live in one of the most urbanized countries in the world. The cost of postal services to rural areas are higher, so that cost is spread out to all.

Look at these visual maps, especially the part how 50% of Canada's population live in Vancouver metropolitan area, Calgary/ Edmonton area, Greater Toronto area, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Montreal...the other 50% is spread across the country (mainly lower part of the landmass).

There is one blue map of North America with white dots where you can easily see how wide spread the American population is (thus their hub and spoke shipping system), compared to ours.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/04/17/canada-empty-maps_n_5169055.html

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Can you help, please?

What tracked oversized lettermail to USA can be used, registered mail? For matted art prints 11x17", all paper.

I can't find information about it on Canada Post website. I'm looking for requirements, limitations and prices, Find-A-Rate page will not work for this.

Any advice on packing to prevent bending by postal delivery person will be appreciated too.

Thank you.
0 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Jump to solution
GoldenStone - I think your cheapest option with tracking is tracked packet. Looks like Registered Mail is only available with Expresspost and I think that would be very pricey at that size. Maybe the experts will weigh in.

As for not bending - you can get big stiff envelopes at U-Line. I have sent maps, about 12" x 15" and sandwiched them in between two pieces of cardboard with the corrugating running in opposite directions. not very attractive but I never had any issues since I started doing that. I don't know what the value of your packages is but I stopped selling the maps. It was too much work packaging for the return.
0 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Jump to solution
looks like this is the size mailer you will need. they are $1.00 each and you have to buy 100.

http://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-5467/Stayflats-Mailers/13-x-18-Kraft-Self-Seal-Stayflats-Mailer...
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Goldenstone,
Further to what Vic said above, Registered Mail to USA doesn't exist anymore. And even when it did, it was fairly expensive... around $15.00. Tracked Packet is your best bet ($15.12 up to 250g, $15.75 up to 500g).

What are your reasons for requiring tracking? Oftentimes, sellers think it's absolutely necessary when in fact, they can get by quite well without it. Especially if you buy 3rd party insurance (or self-insure) to mitigate the risks. It's a question worth pondering!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you all for the help!

I researches a viability of some common product for selling from Canada, this is a dead end.

I was considering using this on eBay, and after Fall Update 2014 tracking is a must, or there could be not delivered claims and defects.

Buyers on Etsy seem don't require such expenses, untracked Small Packet was so far, so good.
0 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Jump to solution
GoldenStone - that is precisely why I stopped selling on eBay a couple of years ago unless it is something I can send with tracking. It's different here for the most part. I include tracking myself sometimes just for my benefit depending on the price of the item.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Is tracking at Ebay actually a must? Because I've seen a few Canadians selling sewing patterns, and its obvious by the shipping rates, that they're using Oversized Letter for Canada and Light Packet to everywhere else. But their patterns are only selling for $7-$20 each.

I guess it depends on the value of the product you're shipping. If you buy the 3rd party insurance, than should cover you for non-delivery claims.

0 Likes
toysofthepast
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Hey everyone,

Newbie to light packet shipping question :)

If I have 9 x 5 x 1.5 cm envelopes weighing 200 g and they contain magnets, do they fall into the light packet category to the US?
And within Canada would be oversized letter?

I have never had items that fit through the slot of doom, so know nothing about any of this.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
~Holly
0 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Jump to solution
Holly - yes they can be up to 2 cm thick.

Tigers - no it's not mandatory to have tracking. I see Canadians selling lots of things with only small packet postage. The attitude is pretty pervasive though that if there is no tracking you are wide open to claims because eBay has Buyer Protection all over everywhere like all sellers are crooks. It's been like that for a few years. I think it depends a lot on what you are selling too. Pattern buyers are not likely to try and steal from you.
0 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Jump to solution
it's because of all the bogus non delivery claims on eBay that there is no longer $100.00 automatic coverage with small packet. When they dropped it they introduced the Tracked Packet and there was big fanfare and promotion with eBay like it was a good thing. not.
0 Likes
toysofthepast
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Thanks Vic.

So with those dimensions and weight, I am looking at $3.10 within Canada and $5.15 to the US - does that sound about right?
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
It will be $2.95 plus tax (gst or hst depending on your province) for Oversized Letter within Canada.
For the magnets, you MUST ship by Light Packet to the USA since these are objects (only paper items can go by Letter outside of Canada),. It would be $5 (no tax), so less than Letter, and you must put a customs form declaring the value.
0 Likes
CustomCharmFarm
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Hi Tigersanddragons,

I feel I used up all my free questions, :P, but I hope for one more.

I was commissioned to construct a piece outside my "guidelines" of the slot of doom.

Instead my package will be about 3cm thick and below 150grams.
As well, is going to AUS. can I still ship this as light packet International?

if not, do you know how much it will cost me?

Your the best!!!!
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
If it's thicker than 2cm, then you have to ship by Small Packet
To Australia 1-250grams = $10.67 CAD

To check any prices, just type in the dimensions and weight, using the "Find a Rate" tool at the Canada Post website. It automatically shows you parcel prices, you can even get letter pricing if you scroll down, and click on "For a Letter or Document"
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Tigersanddragons, sorry for late reply, about why use tracked shipping on eBay: sellers of $5 items have no choice but ship by the cheapest way, for my 10x more expensive items I did it too, before Fall 2014 Update.

Now the defect system is in force, after even small amount of defects, not of his/her fault, seller will be prohibited to sell on eBay, forever. "Item not as described" is always in buyers favour, according to Fall Update, nobody will even look on actual description if it's true, but for "item not received" there is a chance for a seller to submit a proof of delivery, online tracking with delivery confirmation.

As other sellers say, amount of claims strongly depends on type of product, some are with high level of problems and for others problems were non-existent. eBay forums have some posts that after update there was quite an increase of claims, sellers has to protect themselves when possible.

When researching for new directions, it's better to find some that allows to follow eBay requirements, as a protection for a seller to prevent being kicked off eBay with not their fault. Look at tracking as an analog of not sending product until payment was received and cleared. Only Amazon and eBay with their rules require this precaution, as far as I know.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi everyone, first time poster here and first time sending product overseas!

I have a question and hope someone can share some experience with me.

A month ago (on Feb 23) I sent a small product to Brazil via light packet with Canada Post. It cost under $10 so I thought the pricing was okay and I was told it should reach Brazil around 2 weeks time. The lady at CP helped me fill out a custom form (just a sticker it seems) stating what the item was and the approximate value on it.

So fast forward to today (Mar 25) and my client still have yet to receive the item. As there is no tracking number for the light packet (and it cost waaay too much anyway), I was wondering how else I can trace it (if at all possible). Anyone got similar experience shipping to Brazil? How long does it usually take? Any number I can call to ask?

Thanks in advance for your input!
0 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Jump to solution
without tracking there is nothing you can do. just wait and hope for the best. if you sent it surface mail it wouldn't be there yet anyways.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I was under the impression that light packet are all by air now-a-days?
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Hi Kam,
Shipping to Brazil has a reputation for taking a long time, partially due to waiting for a long time to get through Brazilian Customs. In fact there are some Etsy sellers who won't ship to Brazil.

-Light Packet is AIRMAIL, not surface. Sadly There is no tracking for it, no way to trace it and Canada Post won't do anything for you if you call them.

-You cannot get Tracked Packet to Brazil. the only services that have tracking to that country are Xpresspost and Priority Post. Expensive.

- When it comes to getting insurance on your parcels, Brazil is a difficult one. Canada Post will insure - Small PARCEL, Xpresspost, Priority Post.
3rd party Insurers will only insure to Brazil under their monthly coverage policies, so you would have to want to have coverage for all your parcels, and get a quote based on your parcel volumes. It is not on their list of countries that you can casually/individually purchase insurance for.

In the future, do not listen to the *estimates* that Canada Post gives for shipping times, unless it is a time guaranteed service. No one has any control or way or knowing how long an item may be held up in a country's Customs, waiting to be processed.

I ship by Light Packet and tell my International customers that shipping is estimated to take 7-36 Business Days (Business Days are Monday to Friday), possibly longer.
*Today it has been 22 BUSINESS DAYS since you shipped.*

I haven shipped so far to 21 countries but for those that customers have TOLD me have taken more than 3 weeks, have been Germany and Brazil.

You should talk to your customer, tell them to contact their Post Office and their Customs Office, to see if their parcel is waiting for them to pay taxes and duty. That likely is the reason, for the hold up.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thank you very much for the advice tigersanddragons. I will ask the client to contact their post office and customs office... but how can they ask without a tracking number? And do you know which company does Canada Post hand off the package to in Brazil?
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.