On top of my "real" job and my etsy shops, I also work part-time at a Canada Post outlet, for 4 years now. I'm very knowledgeable about all things related to shipping. I can be your resident expert! Ask away and I will do my best to answer clearly.

jackie ♥

Here's the original post from a forum thread I started before etsy did the shut-down to teams :( It describes CP's rate increases for 2011, which took effect on January 17th.

Like clockwork, Canada Post is raising their rates as of January 17th. I work at the post office part-time so I thought I would give my fellow Canadians a head's up. Here's a link to the complete list of new rates including all the price tables you could ever want (a very helpful sleep aid for insomniacs!).

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/ (click on the red "new prices" button)

I'm not sure how bad the increase is for domestic and US Expedited parcel rates, but here are the new Lettermail, Oversize Lettermail, Light Packet, and Small Packet rates.

Lettermail (max 24.5 X 15.6 X .5cm):
Canada >>
0.59 (0-30g)
1.03 (31-50g)
USA >>
1.03 (0-30g)
1.25 (31-50g)
International >>
1.75 (0-30g)
2.50 (31-50g)

Oversize Lettermail (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
Canada >>
1.25 (0-100g)
2.06 (101-200g)
2.85 (201-300g)
3.25 (301-400g)
3.50 (401-500g)
USA >> (printed matter only)
2.06 (0-100g)
3.60 (101-200g)
7.20 (201-500g)
International >> (printed matter only)
4.10 (0-100g)
7.20 (101-200g)
14.40 (201-500g)

Light Packet (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
USA >> 4% increase over 2010
2.36 (0-100g)
4.92 (101-250g)
7.91 (251-500g)
International >> 3.5% increase over 2010!
4.60 (0-100g)
9.25 (101-250g)
15.80 (251-500g)

Small Packet (max L + W + H = 90cm)
USA >> 7.5% increase over 2010!
Surface 5.85 (0-250g)
Airmail 7.46
Surface 8.35 (251-500g)
Airmail 9.90
Surface 12.41 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 15.36
International >> (rates vary according to the country.. please see zone and rate tables through the link above. Amounts below are for shipments to the United Kingdom, zone 02 - surface rates are 10% higher than 2010, airmail rates are 8% higher, except in the 1-2kg category)
Surface 6.54 (0-250g)
Airmail 8.53
Surface 8.95 (251-500g)
Airmail 17.06
Surface 15.02 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 33.45
Surface 21.07 (1-2kg)
Airmail 50.26

I don't know about you, but I am really bummed about this. Increases of 7 and 10% are really going to hurt!

Convo me if you have any questions.
(Posted at 2:55 am, January 3, 2011 EST)
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Re: Canadians: Ask me about Canada Post and shipping - I work there!

Jump to solution
I haven't shipped China, but I have shipped glass and dishes to the USA. I prefer Fedex. Fedex Ground if it is available to you, will have even lower rates. I find UPS's customer service to be terrible.

Make sure to take multiple photos of your packing process, to prove that you are doing an effective packing job, in the case you have to file a claim for breakage....no matter which courier you choose.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thanks Tigers! Appreciate it.
0 Likes
CustomCharmFarm
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Hi, I'm new Etsy user, I live in Toronto... I want my shipping costs to be as low as possible for my customers , but didn't get very much help from the rep. at Canada Post.

I've read a lot of this post trying to figure out my best course of action...

I've managed to be able to fit my items in this "slot of doom" ,... but after reading more of this post , i'm learning over sized letter mail may not be my best bet when shipping outside of Canada,

Am I restricted to "small packet" for outside of Canada?,, is there a cheaper way? ,,, and the gentleman at Canada Post said everywhere i send a package , has a different cost!.. how can anyone keep up with costs?..

Is there a rule of thumb for charging outside of USA and Can.?

Please help! I'm very over-whelmed and wanted to do things right.

Thank you.
0 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Jump to solution
Hi Ella. everybody wants their postage to be as low as possible but it is what is and our postage is higher than most. not surprised to hear the "gentleman" at Canada Post gave you incorrect information. Packages that fit through the slot of doom qualify as Light Packet outside of Canada and have the same rate to all of the US or to all of the rest of the world. The price goes up at different weights. Small Packet is the same to everywhere in the US and I make them all the same to teh rest of the world. The difference is negligible.

The postage does have a learning curve but you'll get the hang of it in no time especially with all small items.

I can't believe the post office didn't tell you about Light Packet.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Ella, as Vic has mentioned Light Packet is the cheapest shipping you can get for outside Canada, then Small Packet is the next cheapest.
Looking at your shop, since you ship small jewellery items like I do, Light Packet is how you should be shipping orders.
Use the White CN22 customs forms stickers - even though the form says Small Packet, use it for Light Packet too.

For Canada Post prices at the counter
- Click on Counter Prices, Post Price Fanfolds
www.canadapost.ca/business/tools/pg/prices/default-e.asp

Here's the Canada Post website - use the "Find a rate"
www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/default.jsf

I'm not surprised that the clerk you dealt with is not well trained. I've been told all sorts of misinformation concerning Light Packet and Oversized Letter by clerks at different outlets, in different cities...even on the phone with Canada Post customer service.

FYI - When a clerk is looking at their computer screen for choices of services, Light Packet is at the very bottom, they actually have to scroll down to see it!
0 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Jump to solution
I didn't change any of my rates from last year. $4.00 US is almost $5.00 cdn and we're making up quite a bit with the 20% all around. I did put up the international Light Packet a tad. For Light Packets under $20.00 I use the green customs stickers. I don't recommend that for everyone but I like it.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
The green customs stickers don't have a carbon copy, unlike the white stickers. I want a carbon as proof of sending....and have won Etsy and Paypal cases because I had a stamped copy of the customs form proving I had sent the item to the billing address.
If I had used green stickers, then I wouldn't of had the proof required.

Also if you choose to buy insurance for Light or Small Packet from a 3rd party Insurer, that customs form (or a stamped copy of your online postage including shipping address info.), is needed to file the claim.

I only changed my shipping profiles a bit, but both you and I have our currency settings set to USD. Any Canadian sellers who have their currency price settings set to CAD are not getting the benefit of the difference between USD and CAD.
0 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Jump to solution
I know, that's why I don't recommend it for everyone. Over the years I have had so very few issues I'm willing to take a chance under $20.00 and they look so much neater and tidier on the small bubble envelopes.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
???? I'd pick proof that gives some peace of mind over neater appearance any day of the week. But it's your business, if you want to risk it.

It's hard enough being a Canadian seller in the Etsy marketplace where . American sellers have delivery conformation for free or cheap.
We have very little unless we are willing to pay for it (Tracked Packet, 3rd party insurance if we choose to purchase it).

Just read the many recent threads written by International sellers who are beyond frustrated with their packages going to the USA. The extreme weather problems will be over soon, but I believe USPS service is just going to get worse and worse. Closing over 80 facilities this year.
0 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

Jump to solution
I have started using Insure Post but mostly to Australia, the UK etc and mostly for my other shop. I sell higher $ amounts but lighter weight, under 1000 grams. with the US shipping though lately if they are paying about $12.00 US postage I have been making them tracked packet. Those packages are usually about $90.00 US and those I do prefer the peace of mind. :) I only have one package that seems to have gone missing and it's to California and truthfully I am skeptical. haven't heard from her again for over a week so fingers crossed.
0 Likes
CustomCharmFarm
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Thank you so much!... You two are AWESOME!

I think I got it worked out. I'm sure a lot of this learning comes from trial and error , but I feel much more comfortable now.

I was doing some reading on the CN22 form stickers, and though my items are not expensive, would defiantly feel more comfortable with a carbon copy. On another thread someone mentioned I can use this as my address label, is that true? or will I need both?

Thank Again!

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Is the Canada Post website down - or is it just me?
0 Likes
CustomCharmFarm
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Its working fine for me.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Ella, I would not advise using the customs form as your address label, as the space on the form for writing addresses is quite small.

You will want to either write or print addresses in larger text, to go on the envelope, separate from the form.

Also Canada Post prefers the customs forms on the front of the envelope so before I write any address on my bubble envelope, I temporarily lay the form of the left side, so I can set where it will fit .....then write the receiver's address on the far right of that (not in the exact middle, since that won't leave enough room for the sticker),.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Ella,
Don't forget that you can purchase and print your shipping labels through Etsy. They print out with the address so you don't have to worry about the writing in the small space that Tigers mentioned. "Officially" CP requires that the address be written on the parcel as well as on the form. It's not really enforced, but I have come across some postal clerks who insist on it. (They are actually in the right to insist for once haha). If you don't double-up on the addressing, it won't affect deliverability (as long as the single address is clearly written).
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
There have been a few problems with Etsy labels, specifically that some Canada Post sorting stations are not always reading them correctly and sending the shipment immediately back to the sender.
So if you only use Etsy labels, I suggest you highlight or circle the receiver's address (TO:) to make it abundantly clear.
It's a rare problem, but certainly worth a little extra effort to avoid.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Back in January I mentioned that I had used CP's International Parcel service to Mexico, & was questioned on why, since it is expensive & it supposedly doesn't have full tracking (short answer - buyer wanted it). See discussion here:
https://www.etsy.com/teams/7654/etsy-international/discuss/6779956/page/351
I was asked to report back on whether any tracking occurred once it left Canada.

I am very relieved to report that the buyer finally did receive his item, & that I received full tracking & delivery confirmation through the CP website. It was slow on updating, & there were also delivery delays involved in "verifying
address of recipient" (which the buyer warned me might happen) but there are a full 7 separate entries in the tracking after it left Canada, right up to his door.

Of course, this may not be your experience, but in this case, this service was trackable & involved delivery confirmation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Cindy I am wondering if the parcel to Mexico contained jewelry? I have heard that Mexico restricts the importation of jewelry. I could never find the specifics plus heard stories about lost packages, so I now exclude Mexico as a country that I ship to.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
His order met the standards according to the CP documentation & his translation of the Mexican postal website. However, in regards to jewellery, I have seen some countries' post offices saying certain types cannot be sent to Mexico - and you are right, I do not think I have seen 2 that include the same list or definitions :)

Considering other difficulties with this order & one other horror story I heard from someone else very recently, I may consider refusing orders to Mexico in the future. I have only had a few across all my sites, however, in 6 1/2 years, so it probably isn't worth the trouble of refusing the rare one that does occur.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Thanks for the update, great that you received full tracking Cindy.

Interesting to note that the Canada Post states that International Parcel doesn't track once it gets outside Canada. Perhaps it's because they can't count consistently on Postal services in all other countries to scan and forward information. If some countries do, and some don't, wouldn't it be lovely for Canada Post to provide a LIST?

Have read postings from American sellers in the forums that they've had problems with shipping to Mexico, but I don't remember which postal services they used (first class, priority, etc.).
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Logically any country that Canada Post offers Tracked Packet and/or Xpresspost service for, are very likely to provide tracking updates for Small/International PARCEL as well.

Some helpful info on the more expensive INTERNATIONAL shipping services.
http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGpsus_int-e.asp#1408846
Sections 10.1, 10.2, 10.3
-Lists the countries that can be serviced by Priority Post, Xpresspost, and Tracked Packet.
- Lists which countries allow delivery by these services to P.O. Boxes. (for Priority and Xpresspost)
- Lists Countries offer signature option, and which do not (Xpresspost)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
@tigersandrragons, thanks for the link. I myself do use tracked packet to ship, mostly to the U.S.

0 Likes
CustomCharmFarm
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Hey Team!

For the labels, I just ended up buying the Avery shipping labels, they were not too expensive. (Unfortunately I read the message about purchasing labels from ETSY too late)

I got my first sale! :) and was trying to De-code the chart for estimated delivery time for over-sized letter-mail,
as well i would like to supply a cut-off date for ordering Easter items to Canadian addresses.

I'm I correct that major city's estimate up to 4 days and rural up to 8?

I just didn't want to provide inaccurate information.

Thanks again for all your help!

0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
I would estimate 1-2 weeks, mail service is variable especially if it's travelling across regions, or to more isolated rural areas. Letters have no tracking or time guarantees.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Congrats on the sale, Ella! I only use online shipping for things that require the separate bar code, such as Xpresspost; for my light packets & oversized lettermail (in Canada) I buy labels at Dollarama. 300 address labels for $1.25 (used to be $1! LOL) I also use them on the back of business cards when I want to include a description or special info with the item (e.g., my coprolite & dinosaur fossils)

I have items in Canada take over two weeks during non-rush times. In fact, I have had the odd oversized lettermail take 2 weeks within Calgary. Always suggest longer shipping times than Canada Post does, & never promise anything; less disappointment for the customer that way.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.