with paypal when someone wants a shipping upgrade we can invoice them for it. what do we do with direct checkout if someone wants a shipping upgrade? we can't invoice them, right? we can't do a listing for a shipping upgrade?
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: shipping upgrade and dc

Jenny I agree with you. This should have been planned for in advance. Seems to me that when they thought of refunding shipping overages the next logical thought would have been about invoicing for upgraded shipping charges. At least that is the way my mind works.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
anythinggoeshere
Conversation Maker

alice, it is against the rules to do that and it is a work-around solution which is why we want a real solution to this direct checkout problem.

i am not looking for a way around the problem. i am looking for a direct checkout solution to this problem before the holidays.

0 Likes

I can't wait until the shipping module will allow the customer to choose the shipping they want.

this is an issue - I would most likely make a custom listing for shipping in this case..

Giving the customer control over the speed at which a package is sent is imperative.. hope it is implemented soon!

With all the new shipping beta, I bet it will be.. We can put our "time to ship" and let the customer choose the speed.
0 Likes

I had this situation occur with my first DC sale last weekend. I posted on the site help forum but didn't get any good responses. I didn't send them a PayPal invoice since they used DC, I figured there was a reason they didn't use PayPal to start with. I sent them a paper invoice with the item requesting that payment be made by check or money order. I had thought about the reserved listing for it, but didn't go that route since the shipping upgrade was only costing around $2.

This is an question that Etsy needs to address!
0 Likes
KerrysCrafts
Inspiration Seeker

I had a listing for a shipping upgrade & it was taken down by etsy.

When I've got a customer who wants a shipping upgrade I change the listing to reserved & reflect that. I've typically had customers requesting upgrades convo me about them in advance though.
0 Likes

I had the same problem arise... I invoiced my customer through paypal, even though I didn't really want to since they paid DC it seemed weird, but she didn't say anything and paid it no problem...but in the future that may not be an option as Sherry points out.
I was wondering about that...glad there is a thread...now we just need an official answer.
0 Likes
anythinggoeshere
Conversation Maker

still waiting for answer. there is no good answer to this if we can not invoice our direct checkout customers for anything.

ask them to use paypal when the choose direct checkout. that seems weird and inappropriate.

do a shipping upgrade listing hiding it as something else is also weird and against the etsy terms of service,

but this is an issue that keeps coming up as many people in this thread have pointed out.

we need a solution from the direct checkout admin. for this issue.
0 Likes

Bumping this-----
Please add a way to invoice for shipping upgrade. This is such a basic requirement.
Thanks
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

Let me offer my apologies that we haven't had a chance to post on this thread before. Shipping upgrades have been on our radar for quite awhile, and we're looking for solutions that will not violate Etsy policy or create issues for our Marketplace Integrity or Trust teams.

Unfortunately, I don't have any concrete solutions or timelines to offer. I can, however, assure you that we're thinking about this, and do have some tools in the works that will help.

Thanks!

-Ev
0 Likes

Thanks Evelyn in Admin- I just want to put in my vote for Shipping Upgrades. More customers are wanting expedited shipping, and always after making the sale. We need an easy & fast way to take care of this time-sensitive business!
0 Likes

Join shipping improvements amd ride out the bumps. ypu can offer multiple shipping speeds and ypu can now input custom sp iIeeds. Ie parcel post 2 to 8 day. It works for me. Im getting less and less will it get there covos and more sales.
0 Likes

Of course if it is after the fact that is another issue.
0 Likes

Since we can now offer more than one shipping speed for an item, what about cancelling the original sale and relisting it with 2 shipping speeds? And if this is an issue you encounter often, offer multiple shipping speeds when you list new items (and edit other items to include a 2nd shipping speed).

I like Pinch's idea. Make a nice picture/sign/whatever (drawn or computer generated) that says something like "This listing is for Priority Mail International. Please purchase it if you would like your item shipped by this method. Any overpayment of postage will be refunded." Then be sure to actually print that page out and include it with the purchase ... since, according to Etsy rules, you need to sell physical items, and set the price as the highest possible for that item (my experience has been that Japan and Australia have the highest postage cost when shipping from the U.S.).
0 Likes
SecretSafeBooks
Conversation Maker

Still waiting for those shipping upgrade improvements for DC...

I understand that the customer does usually have the choice at Checkout to select the shipping speed.

However, many customers either change their mind and want to upgrade, or they didn't realize there was another option until you convo them with their order confirmation.

Please make fee requests available through DC!
0 Likes
GreenleeAndVine
Inspiration Seeker

Has anyone solved this issue yet? I just had a DC sale and she would like expedited shipping and said she would gladly pay for it but I don't know what to do to get it. Any suggestions?
0 Likes

I just posted about this in another thread. :
That's one of the problems with dc, no upgrade without going around in circles.
If your customer doesn't mind, you can invoice them through Paypal for the difference.
If your customer won't use paypal, you can cancel the order and have them repurchase at the correct rate...I think this is a horrible way to do it, very inconvenient for you and the customer, and a great way to lose a sale altogether.
What we are not supposed to do is set up a separate listing just for the shipping upgrade....This is what I would do with a customer who won't use Paypal. Yes, I do realize what I just wrote.

The only other option is to sell the customer a piece of paper for 20 cents with the shipping upgrade they need. Total nonsense and so unprofessional looking.
0 Likes
GreenleeAndVine
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks! I thought about cancelling the order but think that is too extreme for the $1.50 difference so for today I am eating the extra charge. I hope there is a solution for this soon though.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.