Browsing through the members list of our team and looking at all your lovely shops, I started noticing we are a very diverse group of shop owners. Some of us have been on Etsy for years, others are just starting off and have yet to make their first sale.

Experienced sellers, let's share our stories on making that first sale with new shop owners. We all know it's that one magical moment, just that one sale, we're all eagerly waiting for when just starting out on Etsy.

So let's share!

It doesn't matter whether you only had a couple of sales or hundreds: please share your 'first sale' experience so new shop owners can be inspired.

Here are some questions that could help share your story with us.

- What things did you try to make that first sale? Share your hustle!
- What effort do you think ultimately triggered it?
- How much time passed between opening your shop and making that sale?
- What lessons did you learn from making that first sale?
- If you could do it all over, what would you do differently?
- What is your best piece of advice for new shop owners?
- What do you think is the best path to follow in order to get that first sale?

I can't wait to hear about it!

- Deb

Re: How did you make your first sale?

I recently opened a shop and have been updating my tags and titles, but still no sales from strangers yet. I'm not sure if I'm doing them right, can someone help to give some critiques on my shop? Thank you!!!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like

Hey there! Thanks for sharing your question I understand how you feel, it can be vexing when sales don't roll in -- I saw your shop and you have 2 sales though! Congrats! And your prints are beautiful. Photo-wise the products look awesome too, maybe you can try varying the tags that you use? For example using tags that describe what's in your artwork eg 'animal painting', 'thanksgiving gifts' and 'acrylic painting' etc...all the best for everything!

0 Likes
StudioAvai
Conversation Maker

1) I started my store with about 6 items including costume jewellery, yoga socks, hair ruffles and a shawl. I had a good mental excited attitude.

2) I knew the socks would sell at $6, I thought it was the the market price and I had belief it would sell.

3) My first sale was in 6 weeks.

4)I would now use a stretch cast off stitch now.

5) I couldn't keep up with trade so instead of raising prices I would this time hire staff.

6)Have a business and shop stock plan.

7) I used nice posts on Twitter and Facebook, to start with.

0 Likes

I started my shop in mid-April because my friends were nudging me to make face masks.

I made a few masks and promoted it with my personal social media accounts IG/FB. I got my first sale on Etsy for 5 masks from an old coworker. (I sent her a 6th freebie so she had 3 matched pairs of masks.)

I started using Etsy Ads to get more clicks with a low budget of $1/day about 2-3 weeks after launching because I struggled to distinguish my products from what's out there.

I mention my shop to anyone who asks how I'm doing bc I don't have a job and I'm not eligible for unemployment. I prey upon the sympathy of friends and ask them to write me a review if they like the masks. My friends are awesome and support my shop.

I get a thrill every time a stranger buys a mask, even after 30 sales.

I try to effectively use SEO with the headline text, labeling, and checking Etsy search results to see what people are looking for. I try to emphasize that I'm selling locally made products.

I have not found coupons super useful, but I have tried them. I try to make each transaction a profitable one. Using Etsy for priority mail is cheaper and safer than dashing to the post office during COVID-19 quarantine times

I need to branch out from masks as my next step for the shop.

1 Like

I made my first sale in 2019, it was from a friend who wanted to support my work and to this day I am grateful to her. After that though, sales did not roll in, and it was quite depressing for me, because I thought I did everything right. Hence I closed my shop soon after. Now that I look back, I've re-analysed my shop listings and found that photos, listing descriptions, and shipping pricing all could have been improved ( as well as tags) so now I've improved my listings and am planning to list more from August onwards. I wish everyone the best! And stay safe and healthy this 2020! 

I would not have reopened my shop if not for the encouragement from friends and also the tips posted in Etsy forums and online websites. Thanks all

1 Like

Hi everyone! This is my first time sharing my experience in a group, I opened my store on March and I haven't gotten my first sell from somebody that I don't know yet, It's nice to see that I am not only one!! haha. I would really appreciate if you guys can take a look of my shop and give some advice. 

Thank you so much! Good luck everyone!!

2 Likes

1 Like

Hi, thank you for sharing this topic. We feel the same way for my Etsy shop. We have operated for a year but we haven't got any sales yet. We would like to hear your suggestions on how to improve our shop and make the first sale. Happy to connect! Thank you!

We are Woman Ambassadors team, a Chicago based fashion brand that designs and manufactures conversational and conceptual brand-centric accessories for businesses.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WADesignerJewelry

1 Like

Well, I suggest you to update SEO. You need to change some of your tags and also titles. For tags, don't use just one word. They are too generic and your items will not get found. Don't use just blue, gold, silver, but use blue gemstone bracelet, or horse charm jewelry

As for title, don't use Sterling Silver/Best Gift/Gift for Him/Minimalist/Anniversary gift/Birthday gift/Made in India. The system don't see / as a separator. You need space between those words. You either put - or , And do not worry about adding everything in the title. Short and readable title is better.

If you need more suggestion, checkout eRank. It will grade your listings.

2 Likes
PartyPartiph
Inspiration Seeker

For me it's already 1 month when I opened my shop. waiting for that "cha-ching"!

1 Like

I've just started.
I am excited. I hope I will make my first sale soon.

1 Like
malindastoreshop
Inspiration Seeker

I just start selling 10 days still not sale. but never give up.

1 Like

0 Likes

My first sale was a Larimar ring. great surprise to me. 

My First Sale larimar ring link 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/732532591/

"High Quality Gemstone Jewelry"

0 Likes
JEKANMO
Inspiration Seeker

Hello hall,  I'm Olusile from Nigeria,  I'm new here, since I joined i'm yet to make any sale and the views and visits are extremely low,  pls i need tips,  I want to make sales 

0 Likes

Hello! It has been a little over a month since I opened the shop. I run a digital file download shop with my little daughter, such as a card or planner. And I'm a total beginner seller in this kind of shop. I'm trying to get SEO into E-lank, and I'm also trying to get it done. I've been advertising on Pinterest since a few days ago. So I think the number of views is not bad. But we don't have any orders yet. The reason why there is no order even though the number of views is reasonable is because of the items in my shop or the problems in the shop.
I got a lot of energy from reading the team's writing here. Please look around my shop and give me some advice, I would really appreciate it.

0 Likes
TheWitchShack
Inspiration Seeker

I think my first sale was from a Facebook post that I made and a friend bought one of my breastmilk soaps. Then 2 weeks ago, I had 15 sales in 2 days and I have absolutely no idea how that happened because I didn't do any promoting at all! It was just one right after the other! I wish I could figure out how because it was awesome to make money like that!

0 Likes

I just opened my store put a heap of stuff on there like backgrounds of me and my product put up a heap of faqs and then listed 6 products.  Got a sale 3 days after 

0 Likes

Hi to all, I am new on Etsy, so I can't say about my first sale, but I can always read about your experience. I am glad that you share your advices. Thank you.

0 Likes
StudioAvai
Conversation Maker

With excitement and confidence that my item will sell.

0 Likes
VogueAndVestures
Inspiration Seeker

I haven't made any sales yet. I don't know if I am doing anything wrong or perhaps there is something I should be doing differently.

0 Likes
HatCheery
Inspiration Seeker

Hey everyone! My shop has been open for a week and a half now with no sales, but I am still so happy to finally have convinced myself to do this. Although I get views and visits I haven’t gotten any purchases yet. Anyone want to take a look and give some thoughts? Shop is: HatCheery   Instagram is: @hatcrochet123

0 Likes
StudioAvai
Conversation Maker

I knew I would sell, there was a buzz and excitement in the environment, I have made a few sales in different countries.

0 Likes
VuvDesign
Inspiration Seeker

I am new on etsy.

Not yet! I hope soon.

www.etsy.com/shop/VuvDesign

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.