Browsing through the members list of our team and looking at all your lovely shops, I started noticing we are a very diverse group of shop owners. Some of us have been on Etsy for years, others are just starting off and have yet to make their first sale.

Experienced sellers, let's share our stories on making that first sale with new shop owners. We all know it's that one magical moment, just that one sale, we're all eagerly waiting for when just starting out on Etsy.

So let's share!

It doesn't matter whether you only had a couple of sales or hundreds: please share your 'first sale' experience so new shop owners can be inspired.

Here are some questions that could help share your story with us.

- What things did you try to make that first sale? Share your hustle!
- What effort do you think ultimately triggered it?
- How much time passed between opening your shop and making that sale?
- What lessons did you learn from making that first sale?
- If you could do it all over, what would you do differently?
- What is your best piece of advice for new shop owners?
- What do you think is the best path to follow in order to get that first sale?

I can't wait to hear about it!

- Deb
DesignBabeStudio
Inspiration Seeker

Re: How did you make your first sale?

I opened my shop 4 days back but I haven't made any sale yet. I have been doing everything from lisitng to keywords.

Although I get views and visits I haven’t gotten any purchases yet. Anyone want to take a look and give some thoughts?

my shop name DesignBabeStudio

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

HEY, HI AND HELLO!

My name is Daisy and I’m the owner of StudioTwenty5. I just opened my shop officially today and I’m very excited to see what the future holds! I would love to hear what you think about my shop and how I can improve the overal shopping experience. 
I think sometimes you just have to start with something and learn along the way so that’s what I’m trying to do. Even though I’m quit scared about what everyone body thinks but as long as it makes my happy I’m ok with it. And I’m not a quitter so even if it takes me a year or longer to finally make my first sale, I’m going for it. 

So feel free to share thoughts with me! 

Lots of love,

Daisy 

https://www.etsy.com/nl/shop/StudioTwenty5

0 Likes
StudioAvai
Conversation Maker

Imagine you are working in the outdoor sales floor, rather than your home.  You would have tasks to complete, reasonable targets to meet, customers and colleagues to talk to.  With that busy mental focussed attitude you are sure to get a sale.

0 Likes

I started selling on Etsy as early as when they first started. I witnessed the days when Etsy would constantly going offline due to the large amount of traffic. I later took a couple of years off while I handle life's different surprises (graduating college, getting married, and raising kids).

Ultimately when things settled, I opened a new store on Etsy selling in a market that I consider quite saturated. I still wanted to do it because it seemed like a really fun category and can appeal to a very diverse group of people. I started planning at the end of 2019 by stocking inventories and taking photographs and by the time I'm about ready to sell, it was February 2020. In March, we had a lockdown in New York. Not knowing what to expect economically, I thought I started this business at the wrong time. However, I made my first sale in April without any sort of advertisement. I attribute it to the nice product photos. I started getting a sale everyday, then 1-2 sales a day and the positive reviews started coming in. Without the reviews, I don't think I'll be able to expand as quickly as I have. I recently started an Instagram account to connect with my customers on a more personal level and I love to see their pictures and feedback. 

1 Like
ZowieDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks for the story WaxPlusSeal. Your story has inspired me. I am new to Etsy and just started recently. I guess it is never the wrong time to start a business. If you are passionate about what you are doing people will see it and they will provide you with custom and positive feedback.

All the best!

Zowie

1 Like

We’ve only been open a few weeks now and are still getting products listed.  We’re anxiously awaiting our first sale!  I’d love some feedback.  I need to go back and redo some pen pictures...but I’m not sure about Titles and Descriptions.  

1 Like

I really love how personal your story is and I think that will really help you sell

0 Likes
ZowieDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Lovely Designs.

As I am new here also I am not sure I can give any feedback but I do like your work

Zowie

0 Likes

Hello,

I am a bilingual new seller on Etsy. I opened my store at the end of october. I noticed that people add my items in their cart but don't buy them yet. Is This the same for some of you ? I sell printable items. What do you think about my store ? Do you have some advice ? I try to find strategic keywords and participate to Etsy teams. I use social media too. Thank you for your help.

0 Likes

Hello! I opened my shop a few days ago, no sales yet. I am trying to educate myself, reading articles on tips about making my etsy shop the best I can. I am trying to spread the word through Twitter, Pinterest so far. I hope to learn a lot from all the experience sellers here  

0 Likes
ZowieDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Hi Everyone!

I am Zowie from Zowie Designs. I live in Sydney, Australia and I have just started selling on Esty in the last couple of weeks. To my surprise I got a sale a few minutes after I submitted one of my first couple of TShirt designs.

Needless to say it has inspired me to keep posting my TShirt designs.

I would really appreciate some positive criticism on my store as it is my first attempt at doing anything online. I would love to know if I am going about things the right way!

Thanks so much and have a great Christmas everyone.

Zowie

1 Like

Thanks for this question! 

I've been on Etsy for about a month - I made my first (and only) sale November 27. I wont forget that date. About 3 weeks passed before making this sale.

On my page it says "You just made your first sale from Offsite Ads!" I'm not too sure what that means but I'm grateful. I sold a pair of scissors to a lovely man in MA (Minnesota?). I'm Canadian and not to familiar with American state codes. 

Offline ads are great but it took no effort on my part to make this saIe. I need to put more work into this shop. So I'm ferociously learning as much as I can daily. I like the idea of teams - it helps me to study successful sellers and their shops. When I 'favorite the shop above you’ I dont just 'favorite' and leave the shop - I take some time to study the shop. It takes time to grow on Etsy and it is much harder work than anticipated. But I don’t mind.

What would I do differently next time? Focus on one niche. I am all over the place with my listings - I’m kind of like selling everything under the sun. My picture taking skills could use much improvement as well. 

What is your best piece of advice for new shop owners? Have a plan in place before you start listing. Take some time to read the Etsy Sellers Handbook (I haven't read it yet) and it would've been helpful if I did. Read sellers blogs, read the forums, watch Youtube videos etc. Don't go in blindly like I did and sit back waiting for sales to roll in with little effort put into the shop.

Nice meeting you all.

All the best 

0 Likes
SASyLUNACollars
Inspiration Seeker

Hi,  This was a great post to read through.  I just opened my shop last month and so far all my sales are from my friends or friends of friends.  I am trying to learn how to entice more Etsy shoppers.  I would love any feedback on my shop and what is appealing and what is not?

Nice to meet you all!  Thanks to those who shared information on what worked and what didn't work for them.

1 Like

Hello guys, 
I have started a sale for Christams and New Year.
Go and check out products and gift your loved ones with beautiful handmade jewelry and other items.

Link for my shop is: - www.etsy.com/in-en/shop/PebblesCraftIndia

0 Likes

I am just waiting my first order with a big hope

Let's see when will that order come

0 Likes
StudioAvai
Conversation Maker

With persistence, that I had to make an income, with perseverance not to give up learning and finish making my product, with communication to tell people about my product, by talking and advertising, and finally my helping and accepting that I could be wrong but am willing to discuss and study and keep the Marketplace active.

0 Likes

I am very new here, I trust my products, but after experiencing this first, my faith will grow stronger. hopefully soon ...

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hey everyone, unfortunately I dont have any sellings yet Can you please check my account and give me advise about that? Thank you. https://www.etsy.com/shop/Staylightly

0 Likes

I opened  my shop in November 2020 o made my first sale 3 weeks later. It was so exciting. After putting my shop in vacatymode it is now hard to get same more sales https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClassyBaya?ref=seller-platform-mcnav

0 Likes

I made my first sale from Etsy ads 

0 Likes

My first sale took about one year. I was determined to stick with it. My biggest seller are mud cloth pillow covers, I just kept trying new things .Nancy,  Sharpneedlecreations.etsy.com

0 Likes

0 Likes

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.