Former_Member
Hi everyone,

Today, we added the ability for you to offer free shipping to your buyers using calculated shipping profiles!

Now, you may elect to either "Offer free domestic shipping" or "Offer free international shipping" below “Shipping services” while creating or editing your calculated profiles. See how that looks in the main calculated shipping help article here: https://www.etsy.com/help/article/6131

When you offer free shipping for an item, it will show as the default shipping method on the listing page. You may continue to offer all other shipping services, if you like. Buyers will have the opportunity to select them in the cart and will be charged accordingly.

If you choose to offer free shipping for your items, it will be up to you to determine how to ship them, as free shipping is not associated with a specific mail class. Items that have free shipping will not have their weight, size, or handling fee calculated for orders.

We look forward to hearing how free shipping works for you! Please share your feedback below.
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Re: New "Free Shipping" Option

LOL Kathy! Always a blast here and really fun when things work. ;)

I have to make a trip into town. I don't drink wine but I may start. LOL.

Hope you'll get the bigger problem taken care of too. See ya soon, and thanks everyone for the hard work. ♥
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Hey, guys, I've been gone today. Sorry! So I'm understanding now that if I put all my small soft goods items as FC and Free shipping, they will work, until they get up to Priority--right?

And answering your question, Kathy, I have Etsy prices. Love the discounts! What I was saying is that the two items were 16 oz, which is a smidgen over our allowed amount of "up to" 16 oz--not at 16 or over. This threw them both into Priority; which was fine. But when I went to the drop down menu at checkout, "Free Shipping" was the first to show, with Priority and Priority International underneath. I think the "Free Shipping" words should be removed when a purchase goes into Priority from First Class, so as not to confuse buyers.

And thanks for the tip about going out and not signing in again, in order to check shipping costs. That was very helpful! I used a zip code of a state the farthest from me, and it worked just fine.

I'm going to change my smaller items to Free Shipping, then add a heavier one, which would go Priority normally, to see how it all works.
0 Likes

I'm having the same problem as Kathy. I changed the profile for three items to Free Shipping via First Class. They each weigh 2 oz, 3oz and 4 oz (bonnet, zippered bag and a sachet). Then I added a hard goods item--cup and saucer--that would normally go Priority, due to transportation time (less traveling means less chances of the item being broken). It weighs 14 oz. This makes a total purchase of 23 oz and that sends everything to Priority as though there were no free shipping on the lighter ones. I understand that this is two different classes of mail and is what I think Mike was referring to.

Next, I changed the three soft goods listed above to Free Priority, and left the cup and saucer the same. What came up was the Priority charge for just the cup and saucer, that is accurate, but I have a total purchase of 23 ounces.

Next, I added another soft goods item, 12 oz, to the mix and changed the profile on that one to Free Priority. This makes a total of 35 oz-- 21 oz being soft goods and free, and 14 oz being the cup and saucer--and the charge is still the same as though I were sending just the cup and saucer.

In a nutshell, if I send everything via Priority and free, it will go that way--no matter the weight. And if I make a charge for something, only those items will show. And yet, when I use FC and free, for my entire purchase, it works by bumping things up to Priority when they have reached the FC weight limit, as I did in another post.

0 Likes

My next attempt is putting the whole shop in FC and see what happens from there. That might work
0 Likes

MikefromDoubleFission says

"If the item with free shipping is in a multiple item order with another item that does not offer free shipping but the two items share a mail class, that mail class will be used for the entire order and the weight of both will be used to calculate shipping costs."

Mike:
I am not using free sh but this is confusing and I would think it would be to a buyer as well.

If an item has Free shipping shouldn't that item show up free shipping no matter what other item might be added with it.

It shouldn't matter if both have different or the same mail class, that 1 item should show up free shipping.

If I were a buyer and found an item that has free shipping and also found another item from the same seller that did not have free shipping but had shipping of say $5.32.

But when I added both these items in my cart, I get a cost of $7.50 for instance....I'd wonder what is wrong.

I'd know that the one item was NO longer shipping for free.

I'd be better off checking out twice or worse still, I might not even buy from that seller because it would seem that their "free" shipping isn't really free if added with another item.

An item with free shipping should be just that......free shipping no matter what other item is added along with it or what mail class, it should not matter.

So if I understand this.......If 2 Priority items are bought, 1 with free shipping and 1 with CS they are BOTH calculated together and the one item no longer ships free?

Why doesn't the CS price show up for just that 1 item why it is calculating shipping for *both* items.?

But if I have a FC only item with free s/h and add it to a item with Priority only sh, then it shows up free shipping because it's 2 different shipping methods?

0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

^^^^^Yes, this!^^^^^ Thank you Pat!
0 Likes

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this is not making sense.

Free sh should be just that....Free sh.

It should not matter what is added with that item, it should always come up free sh.
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Exactly! My brain has been on fry today and it seems I can't comprehend one more thing than what's going on at the moment.

But yes, Free should mean Free with no charges, even in a separate package as long as the buyer gets it free. That's how I see it anyway. I hope there will be a fix for that or a way to work around it.
0 Likes

What I'm seeing the problem is when the two are combined. How would it show up in the checkout? I see where it shows in the Shipping and Policies tab, and in the drop down box for checkout, but how could it be broken down, if possible? Could there be a field next to the item listed in the shopping cart that says "Free" for those that ship free?
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

It's been a long day. Thanks everyone for all the help. Have a great night!
0 Likes

Aunt Mayme......sometimes when 2 items are combined the one item with Free shipping is NOT free shipping any more.

From Mike's post "If the item with free shipping is in a multiple item order with another item that does not offer free shipping but the two items share a mail class, that mail class will be used for the entire order and the weight of both will be used to calculate shipping costs."

For example you have an item that you'll going to ship free FC sh with a FC mail class attached on the profile.

A buyer adds that item PLUS an item that does not have Free sh but has FC shipping.

Both items are calculated as one order and that one item with free shipping is no longer free sh.

If the item with FC free sh is added with an item with Priority shipping, then the FC shows up free. (different mail classes).

To get items to come up free shipping all the time no matter what is in your cart....then you have to do what Kathy did and only do a profile for free shipping with no mail classes attached, ONLY free shipping.

I think some team members had problems doing this and it wouldn't let them take all the mail classes off the free shipping profile or do one with no mail classes.

I did try this just now and I was able to do a Free shipping profile with NO mail classes attached.

But how many sellers are going to know to do this and not put any mail classes in the free shipping profile.??

They'd think they'd need to put a mail class to show how the item is being mailed even if free sh. (especially if they are used to doing this on ebay, you have to select a mail class and check a box for "free shipping")

We should be able to select for Free shipping and put mail classes of how we will ship it and it be free no matter what item it's added with.
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Pat,

Because I also ship my jewelry items internationally (for a fee) and free in the US it won't let me delete all mail classes. I get the red bar.

It seems I would have to no longer ship outside the US in order to clear all mail classes and be able to set that up.

But it seems there should be a way to send all free shipping items totally free, maybe even separate them and ignore the weight for the US items.

I may go crazy before the day ends. LOL. It's not a lot of money, but it does make a difference to the buyer, seeing the charge for an item that ships free.

Any ideas anyone?
0 Likes

No ideas at all......I don't ship internationally. I could see how that wouldn't work because you're only shipping free to the US.

I agree, should be a way to offer free sh to US buyer's only and it's free no matter..

I know on ebay US shipping is in a different section than international shipping.

You can select free shipping for US but on the section for international shipping you can add the weight/size so it will calculate or you can do a flat rate or you can select free for them too.

Totally separate sections.

With free sh set up like it is now and you ship worldwide a US buyer is going to see shipping applied to that free sh item if they buy more than 1 item and all the items are in the same mail class.

0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Thanks Pat. I'm really going around in circles with this. It's a great feature for those of us that need it, but it needs to work.
Is it too early for wine?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Connie and Pat - I don't know why Connie can't eliminate all the US shipping classes and just leave the International ones - that IS the way it's SUPPOSED to work.

I know I had trouble yesterday - I set up a Profile with just Free Shipping and no mail classes - but then I could not attach it to the items - red bar.

Then they did something and I was able to do it.

If there are mail classes it's going to combine with them. But if Connie can't eliminate them - who else is even going to know you have to do this, and then you can't actually do this.

Oh and by the way - when I first tried to just eliminate mail classes from the Profile for my key rings - I couldn't do it because the Profile was attached to other listing that were Expired!

Connie, do you have any other listings attached to the Profile you are trying to eliminate the Domestic shipping from that at Expired? or Inactive or something?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am all ready thinking about my wine!
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Hi Kathy,

I did manage to eliminate all the US classes and just enter 2 international classes. Everything works right for that and free shipped items ship free in the US and international sales are charged. So far so good...

But when someone adds an item in the US that has a shipping fee and adds some free shipped items the shipping price is going up for each free shipped item added.

I do have items that are expired but they've been expired so long I didn't think to check. When you set up shipping profiles do they automatically apply to your expired items as well?? I never thought of that and haven't changed any of those. Guess I better go look. Yes, the wine is looking like breakfast to me today. ;)

Thanks Kathy & Pat.
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Still having issues with free US/ charged international shipping profile.

I added 2 free shipping jewelry items to my cart. It showed $0.00 for shipping= all good.

Then I added a trinket box with a shipping fee of $6.45. Shipping showed only $2.00 for all items. ??

I hope this gets fixed. None of us can afford to lose money. :(
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Connie, I just added a bunch of stuff to my cart - some free shipping and some not - it seemed to be working.

Do you have particular ones you would like tested?
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Thanks Kathy. These are the ones I added in order (from the bottom up, one at a time):

15% OFF Villeroy and Boch Botanical Covered Trinket Dish / Aconitum Napellus / Purple Flowers / Luxembourg Porcelain
15% OFF Lovely Sterling & Carved Rose From Shell Pendant On 3 Braided Cords Necklace / SX 925 / FREE Us Shipping

15% OFF 14K Gold Diamond Cut, Pierced Dome Ring / Geometric Design / Men's or Women's Size 9.5 To 9.75 / 3.6 Grams / FREE Us Shipping
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Everything else I had time to test this morning showed correctly. It seems to change if I add the free shipped items FIRST and then another item with a shipping fee. Crazy!

When I added the charged shipping item first and then the free shipped jewelry it seemed to add up right. LOL.
0 Likes

Connie just tried the 3 items and it did the same for me.....showed $6.45 for the shipping on the trinket box but when I added it with the 2 items with free shipping it only showed $2.00 for shipping.

I think I know why........

On that trinket box I'd bet you do not have CS on it because when I changed zip codes the shipping of $6.45 stayed the same.

So if that shipping is a NON CS item, and you have $6.45 for that item I'd bet you have $2 for each additional item.

To get it to show $6.45 you'd need to put that also on the each additional item line.

I did try 3 other items, 2 with free s/h and 1 trinket box without and with CS and it showed up ok, $6.05 total for the shipping which is what the trinket box had.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ah there is Pat the super detective! Sounds like she figured it out.
0 Likes

Glad to help.....
I figured it out when I tried another trinket box and it worked. This is the one I used "15% OFF Ornate Floral Footed Jewelry Box / Heavy Cast Metal With White Enameled Hinged Lid / Repousse Lady & Roses " Shipping for it was $7.30 and that's what showed up in my cart (Parcel select) Priority was also there for $7.55.

I knew it had to be something with the other trinket box and that's when I noticed it was not on CS but flat rate to everyone because the shipping cost didn't change.

0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Awesome! Thanks Pat. You're a smart Cookie! I'll change that over and see if it helps. I thought CS was supposed to work *with* the old way that some of us still use. LOL. Much appreciated Kathy and Pat. ;)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.