Former_Member
Hi everyone,

Today, we added the ability for you to offer free shipping to your buyers using calculated shipping profiles!

Now, you may elect to either "Offer free domestic shipping" or "Offer free international shipping" below “Shipping services” while creating or editing your calculated profiles. See how that looks in the main calculated shipping help article here: https://www.etsy.com/help/article/6131

When you offer free shipping for an item, it will show as the default shipping method on the listing page. You may continue to offer all other shipping services, if you like. Buyers will have the opportunity to select them in the cart and will be charged accordingly.

If you choose to offer free shipping for your items, it will be up to you to determine how to ship them, as free shipping is not associated with a specific mail class. Items that have free shipping will not have their weight, size, or handling fee calculated for orders.

We look forward to hearing how free shipping works for you! Please share your feedback below.
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: New "Free Shipping" Option

Okay, this is even weirder. I have 2 key rings so I added both to my cart and it still says Free shipping (they are 4 ounces each) so that is fine.

A pen is 5 ounces and if you click on the shipping for it in the listing it says $2.59. However, if I add it to the cart with the 2 key rings (now a total of 13 ounces) the FC shipping says $3.97. Where did that come from? It's still FC and should just be the pen shipping price of $2.59.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Thanks Kathy. So far my light weight items are still OK. Going to check a few heavier items with free shipping and see what happens.

Yikes, on your last comment. Heading to mine to see what's up. Thanks.
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

OK, I just added almost 2 lbs. extra weight (of free shipping items) to my cart but it's still only charging the parcel select fee for the item that doesn't ship free.
So mine appears to be working OK. I hope someone will stop in and check it out for you.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Connie, I tried in your shop and it seems to be working just fine. Put a couple of bigger items with shipping prices in the cart and then added a free item and the price did not go up.

So why isn't it working for my items? Strange.
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Kathy,
Thanks. I just tried your shop. 1 pen comes to $2.59. I added a key ring with free shipping, it came to $3.26.
Then I added another key ring and it was $3.97. Could it be a package fee? Doesn't seem like it because it's not consistent. ?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi Kathy and Connie,

Thanks very much for your posts about this. Since there is a common mail class between the items in the order, that is the method that is being used to ship the order.

Here's an example of how that works:

Item 1 offers Free Shipping & Priority Mail

Item 2 offers First Class & Priority Mail

Since there is a common mail class between the two items (Priority Mail), that is the shipping method that will be used for the whole order. You may avoid this from happening by removing all additional mail classes for the item with free shipping.

We'd like to hear your feedback on this approach and would be happy to consider alternatives.

Thanks, again!
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Kathy,

I tried again, starting with the 2 key rings = free shipping, then added a pen with $2.59 shipping and it jumped from free to $3.97 shipping. Strange! I hope Mike or Calia can take a look.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Mike thanks, I will try that. I noticed on Connie's items that she had Parcel Select for her other items and it seemed to work just fine.

I'll try eliminating the other mail classes on my key rings and see if that helps.

Connie, thanks for looking, obviously you were getting the same results I was.
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Thanks Mike. Mine seems to be working fine and I have 5 mail classes on my free US shipping items.
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

I hope you can get it working Kathy. Thanks for checking mine also. ;)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you both! If anything comes up please feel free to share.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Mike - I tried eliminating all mail classes from the Key Rings - it would not let me do that. Well I could set up a Profile that had no mail classes and just checked Free Shipping. But it would not let me attach it to my Key Rings. I got a message that said I had to have a supporting mail class.

So I tried just adding FC - but I am getting a combined FC price when I put the Free key rings with another FC item.

Am I missing something?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Okay - if I add the Free key ring with an item that ships Priority the key ring remains Free.

Like you said above, if there is a common mail class like FC - it combines them. The problem is I cannot attach a Profile with no shipping options to a listing.

That's it in a nutshell.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks, Kathy. We're taking a look now.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks Mike

Connie if you are still around - do you have mail classes attached to your Free shipping items?
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Hi Kathy,

Yes I have 5 mail classes attached to my free US/ charged international shipping.

USPS First Class Mail Domestic 2-5 days
USPS First Class International Package Service International Varies
USPS Priority Mail Domestic 1-3 days
USPS Priority Mail Express Domestic 1-2 days
USPS Priority Mail International

I thought I had parcel select on this one? Oh well, it seems to be working. I hope you can find a resolution Kathy. So complicated! :(
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Well that's weird Connie, I wonder why it works for you but not for me. At least I gave Mike something to do today!
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

LOL, yes Mike will be busy today. ;)

I don't have a clue Kathy. I didn't check all of mine but the ones I did check came up right. Strange occurrences going on in CS.

I hope it gets worked out alright. I have to get a shower but will be back soon.
0 Likes

Connie I checked some of your listings and I don't think they are working right either so Kathy you're not alone.

I added this free sh item:
15% OFF Brushed Sterling and Diamond Men's Vintage Wedding / Anniversary Band / Size 11 (US) / Free US Shipping

Then this free shipping item:
15% OFF 14K Gold Diamond Cut, Pierced Dome Ring / Geometric Design / Men's or Women's Size 9.5 To 9.75 / 3.6 Grams / FREE Us Shipping

Then added this 1st class item that Showed $2.59 to ship it alone.
15% OFF Vintage RIO GRANDE Heavy 3-D Sterling Inline Skate Rollerblade Charm / 4.3 Grams

But for ALL 3 items (2 with free s/h 1 without) shipping came to $4.19....which should have came up only $2.59 since only that one item had a shipping cost.

Took 1 free item out, shipping was $3.47 for the free item plus the not free sh item.

So it looks like it figured the weight for either 2 or 3 and charged shipping for that combined weight since shipping went up everytime I added a "free" shipping item with an item that did not have free s/h.
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Thanks Pat for checking. Ugh! Wonder what's going on? It shouldn't be adding the weight for the free shipped items but it appears that's what's happening.

I need to reread what Mike said about changing package or classes. Can't remember.

Thanks a lot!
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Mike from DoubleFission says
Hi Kathy and Connie,

Thanks very much for your posts about this. Since there is a common mail class between the items in the order, that is the method that is being used to ship the order.

Here's an example of how that works:

Item 1 offers Free Shipping & Priority Mail

Item 2 offers First Class & Priority Mail

Since there is a common mail class between the two items (Priority Mail), that is the shipping method that will be used for the whole order. You may avoid this from happening by removing all additional mail classes for the item with free shipping.

We'd like to hear your feedback on this approach and would be happy to consider alternatives.

Thanks, again!

I'm not sure which additional mail class to remove since some will go FC and others will weigh over a lb. I'll also need FC international. Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks! Connie
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Connie, Mike told me to eliminate all the other mail classes for Free shipping but that did not work. I could not attach a profile with no shipping classes to a listing - big red bar.

I did eliminate Priority and only have FC attached which worked if the Free item got combined with a Priority item - it was free then. But when combined with another FC item, once again, it combines the two weights and gives that price - no free.

Mike said they were looking into it.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Pat, good detecting!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi folks,

Just wanted to confirm that there is currently issue with only selecting free shipping for your calculated profiles.

We are looking into this now - sorry for any trouble in the mean time!
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Thanks Kathy! I thought this was supposed to get easier. LOL.
I have to have more than one mail class since I ship internationally as well.

I hope we can work through this. It's a great feature if it will work with all classes we need.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.