Dear Etsy,

It's been a wee while now. With some saying it's a fault, and some saying, no it's not. Everything is working correctly.

A simple yes, your were overcharged, refund following.

Or no, it is all working properly, will finally settle matters.

And if there are to be refunds, can we please have a date for that?

and as we are still being overcharged, Can we please have a date, for when that will stop happening?

Thank you.

TreeTreasuresCanada
Community Member

Re: Dear Etsy, Can you please give us a date, when the overcharging will stop?

I emailed Support on February 24th and received an automated acknowledgement (no help files attached) directing me to the forums for further help.  I'll try again.

1 Like
CraftyCornishMaids
Community Member

You will get an e-mail directing you to the forums, but if you scroll regiht down, it says something like

if this doesn't fix your problem, reply to this e-mail,

so you have to reply to the e-mail, or they close it.

1 Like
TheBeadSource
Community Member

keep emailing them - it's the only way to get their attention, be firm and demand your refund - it will work, I promise

1 Like
TreeTreasuresCanada
Community Member

The automated response I received doesn't have any reply instructions at the bottom but it does say, in very faint grey font at the top, to reply above this line.  I completely missed that until today.  Just adding this in case others have missed the wording at the top.

1 Like
TheBeadSource
Community Member

first response is the automated email - respond to that and ask to keep the ticket open and then just keep responding

1 Like
RCOriginalsGallery
Community Member

I emailed and didn't even get an automated response.

1 Like
TouchofWhimsyCo
Community Member

Do you know what is ironic? send a mail into support and reply comes back telling you to check the forums, and according to admin on this post https://community.etsy.com/t5/Bugs-and-Technical-Issues/The-Bugs-Forum-and-Etsy-s-redesigned-Payment...    she tells you to contact support....... given the runaround?..... if you scroll to the bottom of that post you will see it.

7 Likes
VintagePennyLane
Community Member

Marking this post in case there's an update.

1 Like
RCOriginalsGallery
Community Member

Bumping this post to see if anyone's heard anything yet.

2 Likes
Beadcomber
Community Member

bump...

1 Like
TreeTreasuresCanada
Community Member

I did receive a reply to my support ticket.  As the communication from Etsy is confidential, I'll simply say that there was no meaningful update.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Spellbinderie
Community Member

After bombarding them with emails and forum posts back in October/November, I've stayed relatively quiet since they announced they would take care of it.  Well the waiting and patiently hoping for a resolution have come to an end today.  

I just emailed customer support and will continue to ask for my refund until I get it. 

Beyond ridiculous at this point. 

13 Likes
Catheralia
Community Member

Spellbinderie - (I hope this nests properly, it's my first attempt in the new forums..) A few days ago I replied to Etsy's December (?) email, asking for an update. I received a slightly more personal response and they did refund me what was currently owed...it came into my payment account as a 'transaction overage' credit, it wasn't much for me (I'm a very low volume seller). And I'm fairly sure the extra gst I was charged as a result of the overcharged transaction fee was not included. I replied with thanks but reiterated my concerns as a non-US seller, etc etc. Still awaiting a real resolution.... 

5 Likes
BreezeOnTheLake
Community Member

@Catheralia 

You were refunded when you replied to that e-mail? I had no idea they even would do that, or expected a reply, or that a reply would trigger more personal attention or a refund.

Wow, Etsy kept quiet about that. The wording of that e-mail just looked like another missive full of blah-blah-blah.

My only concern about this is that the figures in my own e-mail that they told me were affected did not seem accurate. They didn't mention sales that had taken place further behind the stated period that the overcharges were being applied. I did not trust the information in my e-mail. I also believe this overcharge had been going on way longer than the period stated by Etsy, it's just that it was only when they changed the billing statements to show more clearly exactly what we were being charged, that it came to light we had probably always been overcharged.

Also, even though, or even if, they are refunding some people - there is no word on stopping the overcharges from still taking place on every sale a non-US seller makes. They are still overcharging, thus the problem is not solved and they seem to be doing absolutely nothing about that.

Where is OUR "task force"?

6 Likes
sewsouk
Community Member

@ Catheralia

So did you get a refund of the amount stated in their email " refund in early 2019" or a different amount? You are the first seller on this thread who has said they have received any refund.

I wasn't even refunded the VAT they wrongly charged me for free listings. Though they have managed to stop charging that anymore.

So far all I have recived is generic responses followed by  further generic responses saying the issue is with their tech team and they can't answer everyone.

The VAT statements continue to be wrong and include weird odd items for £0.01. I would have thought they needed to get these right for their own VAT returns.

2 Likes
Catheralia
Community Member

@sewsouk  @BreezeOnTheLake 

The amount refunded was apparently the amount owed so far (I suspect excluding the gst overcharging as I mentioned), a few cents more than the estimated in Etsy's December email due to a few sales since then. But that original estimate seemed a bit less than my own calculations.

What I took from the email is they are still working on a resolution and still working to the vague timeframe 'early 2019'. I'm just hoping it will be resolved transparently and not to the disadvantage of non-US Sellers, and I've expressed that in any email replies or Etsy surveys I get a chance to submit. 

To add - there's also potentially, lost bank 'interest' on that owed income, which may be an issue for larger sellers, and as time goes on, all these amounts add up. 

2 Likes
Spellbinderie
Community Member

@cindylouwho2 

Marking this for you.

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Community Member

- Let me get this straight.  Are you saying Non Us Sellers are STILL being overcharged?
(Who were told they would be refunded the erroneous overcharges early in the new year.  It's now March)

- The fiasco a few weeks ago re: the site error which resulted in money being erroneously taken. Is this STILL going on?

3 Likes
CraftyCornishMaids
Community Member

Non USA sellers are

- still being overcharged 5.2% or more

- are being charged the VAT on the overcharge

- having more money claimed back by etsy for paypal sales for taxes, than they actually added on

- June-Sept payment account CSV's, can't view anththing for that timeframe, and the actual CSV's for those months, are only in dollars, and DON'T have the payment line, or payment processing fee, you have to realise that, and for those for months, go to - settings - options - download csv - etsy payment sales CSV, and try to merge them, even though they are different formats

- and the legally required VAT/GST statements are still wrong, at the 4th attempt

- and they ae charging VAT on payment processing, which is exempt

and probably loads more I've forgotten to mention

....oh yes, you can't change your retiurn address if you move house, it's not a bug, they have renamed it to "a small wrinkle"

7 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Community Member

@CraftyCornishMaids 

Well good grief; I am sorry about that.  I've seen people state they have emailed Etsy multiple times.  Shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get an informed reply to a solution which should not have happened to begin with (was first stated as "working as intended" when others first noticed; I believe it was Spellbinderie up above).  AND people certainly should get a DESIGNATED DATE as to when it will be remedied.

2 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Member

crafty, 'small wrinkle'? and i suppose igor had a small freckle not a hunch? my mother lives in england. as far as i remember the royal mail does not auto forward when you move the way usps here does. that could be a huge mess for anybody changing addresses there! why i remember this was i had accidentally put her old reading address on a letter i sent from california after she had just moved to tadley and it came back undeliverable!

i was shocked because i thought everybody had mail forwarding. of course this was a long time ago but if it's still that way... ouch!

i'll be honest. after the snafu in the lonnnng thread i was about to leave the site but i have stuck around for this thread hoping you guys would get your big oops, to be polite, sorted. and i bought a few more vintage things but that's besides the point. i decided to stay on etsy in solidarity to give you guys moral support until this is resolved. it's all i can do as a us buyer. but at least you know someone cares and i check here often. hang in there.

3 Likes
CraftyCornishMaids
Community Member

I have paid Royal mail to forward mail to my new address,

However, on the Etsy packing slip, it had my old address, and, although I changed my address in 4 different places on Etsy, there was nowhere for me to change my return address.

Apparently, there is a "small wrinkle" in the UK where the only way to do it, is to e-mail etsy, they disable shipping labels (which I don't use), and you have to set up shipping labels again, (even if you have no intention of using them) with your new address -  but you can't do it yourself, etsy is the only one that can disable the etsy lables for us in the UK - a right palaver

0 Likes
CuriosAnCollectibles
Community Member

Well I've messaged them again today, basically asking for the information laid out by @CraftyCornishMaids above. No one seems to be responding to messages any more, or is it just me? If they do, it's a canned response which has very little to with the concerns I raise.

2 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Community Member

May I suggest something; to those of you who received a reply which you felt did not address your email to Support (that it was a canned response). 

(I read the following recently; I believe it was from WitticismsRuss, who is always very helpful).  And what I remember from it was Reply to the Response you received  (this keeps the ticket going).  Don't start a brand new email. *(Someone please correct me if wrong).

3 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Member

that is sop for any technical help on any site i've seen in 19 years on the internet. never start new tickets, they go to the back of the queue.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.