Brand new blank page of a year. Go for it.
SToNZ
Post Crafter

Re: New Year's Resolution....will chat in January

Uh, yeah. You have talent, my dear.
:)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Thanks. Kate. Actually homasote rings a tiny bell.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Laura was unsure of her talent? That's nonsense. I'm getting SO itchy for my tools and to make jewels. Don't think I haven't been looking at your cohesive style, Laura the same as I look at the working qualities of the others.
0 Likes
LauraStasa
Inspiration Seeker

Mystery solved. I was wondering what homasote was too but hadn't gotten around to googling it.
0 Likes
LauraStasa
Inspiration Seeker

Nah, it was a joke, Deirdre. I was just surprised when I saw how much my "few sales" amounted to for the store's totals. It's no where near enough to live even a pauper's life from but it was significant none the less. I'm finally starting to feel 'professional'.
0 Likes

Homasote (I guess I spelled it wrong) is a fiber board that has many uses. It's very fire retardant and stained glass makers use it to pin their pieces to and solder on it. I've also seen it used as expandable fillers in driveways where they separate the sections. I used it under my soldering incase I dropped some hot lava silver. It also has a rough cardboard texture so things dont roll or bounce well on it.
0 Likes

All shovelled out. It can stop snowing now.
0 Likes

I have some of that homasote on our walls in the kiln room downstairs and my son in law is recommending it on our attached garage that houses the big kiln to create a fire barrier. He says it's better than the fireproof Ty Vek ?strapping you can get.

Nice on the sales people are having and on a decent 2014 Laura.
0 Likes

A flickr fine point....when somebody who is say following you 'favorites' a pic what does that cause to happen?
0 Likes

I have no idea CG.
0 Likes

And a question, maybe for Susan. I have a flickr mail from a newish member here asking to join 'Thousand Word Chatty Metalsmiths'. Not sure why me and not even sure if it's still extant.

Plus, maybe for Sue, the discussion list is showing a flurry of 9 threads of the 'list one, favorite 10' sort. No idea what that's about either.
0 Likes

My son in law found this for me to use indoors for winter
, the rio buffs fit,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stonewear/16024274337/
What would you guys use for extraction of all the fluffies, when I work outside I have my spray booth that has a ventilation system ..Nothing like that indoors.

Would moving my HEPA machine close help?, it has a filter and air purification vac system suitable for pottery.

Setting up to do all my torch work , grinding and buffing indoors will be nice, but requires some duplication of equipment and time on my part.
0 Likes
lsueszabo
Inspiration Seeker

cg- can you post a link to where these discussion threads are? not sure what that's about so i'll have a look around.
0 Likes

Kathy, save your HEPA machine.

First, I personally only use that type of cotton buff for rouge. the yellow Chemkote or (?) ones for triploli fling off much less crap.

I use a large squirrel cage blower - mine free from a heating business who replaced the heating system in a mobile home. Enclosed in a plywood box, appropriate openings for the intake and blows through a 16" x 16" furnace filter. It's not perfect - you don't want it in a living room - but gets most fibers.

I only use one side of the motor for buffs, and line it up as close as possible with the circular intake for the squirrel cage. Because of the area of 'fling' you need to move a lot of air, be it slow or fast, so wintertime sessions would take away your house heat if just exhausted outside.
0 Likes

Oh, gracious, Sue - just click on discussions - there's a whole string of them. Crap.
0 Likes

0 Likes

Leaders do now have the ability to 'delete topic'.....
0 Likes
lsueszabo
Inspiration Seeker

ok, I thought you were talking about our flickr pages.... and then something about discussion threads. I thought you mean they were on our flickr pgs. I see what you're talking about now. I see no one is responding to this flurry of spammy threads. we can either let them just fall off the radar from attrition, I can contact her and tell her we think it's kinda spammy and "not our thing", or I can just delete the threads and she can take the hint. thoughts? my feeling is just let them die on the vine and she can learn that no one here is interested in that sort of thing. hopefully this will put a stop to it. if not, I will step in and have a chat with her. sound ok?
0 Likes

Yep, I guess letting them fall on barren ground will send the message. They only show the first one on the opening discussion page.
0 Likes
lsueszabo
Inspiration Seeker

yes I agree. in another day or 2, they will be buried from view I suspect. if she keeps it up, i'll talk to her. I can let her know that we are not a Promo team or whatever they are called.
0 Likes

I never look at any of that stuff, always go straight to what I'm interested in.

I think I may have a solution, there is an old kiln vent in that same room and I can reinstall the hood. Was hoping to make that room into a partial mancave hangout for my boys ( now that they are back here for the winter) but guess they'll have to wait.

I think I have the large sized yellow buffs but none that would fit that machine.

Do you have to get those from jewelry suppliers?
0 Likes

Rio or Lacy West has them.

If you're doing much buffing, venting outside may not be a viable option. A cubic foot of room temp air has to be replaced by a cubic foot of outside air, and for you right now that's very cold air. Running it would be like having a window open.

A filter is really the only way in out winter climate.
0 Likes

I usually work for a week or two and then do a mega session with grinding which has to be done outdoors, and then buffing after that, I have to heat our whole garage by turning on the big kiln to do it.

I'll do shorter stints if it's inside I guess. The kiln hood has a filter and is much like a stove hood .

Sue I get why you go to a place that has everything conveniently aligned for you. :)
0 Likes

Sue did you get chosen for jury duty or did they give you a pass?
0 Likes

Kathy, just to give my homemade idea a little credibility I remembered I got the idea from a goldsmith friend. Formal euro training, does top level custom work in gold and gemstones. Good enough for him....

No doubt he now has top end store bought, but he was making the same level of work then.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.