Re: 2019 - New Year, New Chat

Wish we could send you some of our rain, Kit.  We are expected to get more this week and already out lake is flooding areas.  We had to move our sailboat twice and we are going back out tomorrow to see if it needs to be moved again.

No jewelry today.  I need to start some spring cleaning.  I need to move on it while I have the motivation as I know it won't last long.  :)

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

I am never motivated to clean. Not my thing at all. 

I am getting the urge to organize things. Maybe if I lie down for awhile, it will go away.

0 Likes

Yoo hoo! Anybody home?

0 Likes

I'm here!  I was gone for the weekend and I hate trying to get to team threads using my phone, so I don't.  Doesn't look like I missed much here.  I wonder if Etsy will ever work on things to make it better on this platform.  I can't believe that muted members are still are unable to get logged into their team threads.

Not much jewelry related things happening here.  I've been trying to get some spring cleaning done and get my garden in order (haven't actually started the garden thing yet).   I do plan to get out the hummingbird feeder as they should be coming back soon if not already.  Love to watch them fight over the sugar water I make for them.  So tiny, and so quick.

0 Likes

Good morning.

Saw a hummingbird last night at our feeder ... only one and only for a short minute, but it's a start.

I think summer has arrived. It's going to be 88 today and 90 tomorrow.

0 Likes

We hit 80 degrees yesterday and expect about the same today.  I love this time of year as things are greening up and the birds are singing.  I had my feeder out most of the day yesterday, but haven't seen any activity yet.  If I could live outside during spring I would.  I'd love a studio with lots of windows, but my studio is in a spare bedroom with only one and not the best view of our property.

0 Likes

Good morning.

Going to spend the day on a friend's ranch with a group of women today. It's an annual event that's always fun.

0 Likes

Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful time outside today.  Enjoy it Kit!

I have an order to work on today and I have an appointment this afternoon so I won't get out much today.  My garden needs a lot of work.  Maybe this weekend if the weather holds though the temps are going to drop to the 30's for a low tomorrow.

0 Likes

Good morning.

went to see a film last night that was veeery strange. It was about "creative grooming." Groomers cut and color fantasy themes into dog's coats. One woman did the Mad Hatter's tea party, and another turned her dog into a mountain goat, complete with curled horns. The dogs seemed to love It. They were prancing around, showing off, and obviously proud of themselves. There are competitions for groomers.

Going to the show and sale at the Guild Where I have classes. Must keep a tight hand on the pocket book. I tend to go overboard at these things.

One of these days I need to make some jewelry.

0 Likes

Have fun at the show Kit!  

Interesting about the grooming competitions.  I've never heard of such a thing.  Creativity is everywhere.

I have a ring to finish today and that is it.  The weather is on the cool side so I won't be doing anything outside today.  I had a gallery interested in a wholesale purchase and waiting to here back on what they want.  Hopefully they will take some of my inventory I have on hand.  I'd like to clear out some things.

0 Likes

Had a fun day at the show, although the artists' participation was a bit disappointing. My favorite artist, she does incredible collages, wasn't there. I'd planned to add another of her pieces to my collection.

Got a true bargain at Lowes yesterday. They had braided trunk hibiscus trees on sale for $13. Now, I want to find a super pot to put on my from porch.

0 Likes

Glad the show was fun Kit.  Sorry the collage artist wasn't there for you to add to your collection.  I usually go to a show every November, but last year I was so unmotivated that I decided against going.  I may try this year.  It's a lot of work to set up and take down, then you have the booth fee and both of my girls have left home, so I have no one to help me if I need a break.  

I'd love to get some sort of small tree for my living room.  I miss having greenery in the house.  I'm down to two plants.  I used to have at least 15.  Got rid of some when life got busy with the girls, and then some died of neglect.  

Finished a custom ring today.  I'll probably wait and mail it out on Monday.

0 Likes

Good morning.

I'm down to one or two shows a year, Gayle. Both small and indoors. I just don't have the energy to do big shows anymore.

Rainy day, and I'm hoping I can spend the afternoon inside bashing metal.

0 Likes

I've only done one outdoor show.  It was hot and windy.  Not good for jewelry when your displays are lightweight.  So from then on I've only done indoor shows.  

Cold here again today.  Hoping it warms up throughout the day so I feel like getting out, although I do have things that need to be done inside.

0 Likes

Good morning.

Rained all day yesterday. Haven't checked the gauge but I'm thinking we got more than 2 inches. It's supposed to warm up today. Hope so because we're going to an azalea party this evening and I don't want to freeze on the patio. I'll post pix, my friend's yard is stunning, especially when the azaleas bloom.

0 Likes

I love azaleas.  We lived in Georgia for seven years and they were everywhere.  So pretty when all bloomed in the spring.  Did you need the rain in Texas, Kit?  I thought maybe the whole midwest needed a break from rain, but I've not kept up with Texas.  2 inches is a good amount.

0 Likes

We did need the rain, Gayle. We were a bit behind. We got 2 3/4 inches, so we're good now.

The party was great fun, but the azaleas had suffered a bit from the wind on Saturday. They were still lovely. She's got a fabulous backyard.

0 Likes

Good morning to anyone who drops by. Miss chatting here.

0 Likes

Morning Kit!  Looks like it is just me and you checking in.  

I've been making things for a show in August because the shop has been so slow.  It is an event in town that is free to the vendors and is suppose to be a big event.  I couldn't pass up the show even if I dislike setting up and taking down and meeting the public.  Lol.  I hate selling in public.  I'd rather hide behind the internet, but I'm trying to overcome my introvert-ness.

0 Likes

Dropped by to see if anyone is posting here.  This was such an active team prior to Lithium.  I miss it.  Still no fix for the permamutes either.

wondering how CGs & the house is... are you living in it?  

0 Likes

Good morning. 

Would love to hear from CG, and Laura, and Wendy, and Erin, and, and and ...

0 Likes

Just checking in,  I have my stone setting class this next week, so I probably won't be checking in here during that time.  It's hard for me to access the team pages from my phone.  Will check back in later.

0 Likes

Have fun and learn lots, Gayle.

My enameling class starts next Tuesday. Really excited about it.

0 Likes

Hello! Soldering problem~

I posted this out on the main board but maybe that wasn't where I am supposed to post? Someone on the other board said to post in the chat area. Hopefully this is it?

This is my first post on here and I am fairly new to metalsmithing - just been doing it for about 3 years. I am working on a pretty complex piece right now - probably the harderst project I have ever had! I have many soldering joints very close to each other. I initially had issues with solder flowing in joints I didn't want, so I read some and found out that I could use paprika and water to cover over the joints I didn't want to flow. That worked! Now I am having an issue with the piece not getting hot enough for the solder to flow. The piece I am working on is bird-like, and have two large wings with 18 guage copper and a narrow strip of sterling 22 guage connecting the wings. I am trying to attach the wings to the body - and it connects to two small hoops 8mm diameter, but the narrow strip of sterling isn't getting hot enough and if I manage to get the solder to flow it immediately flows to the inside of the two hoops. I tried again and again to get the whole piece hot enough before soldering that narrow strip, but the piece seems to cool before I can get to it and the heat disperses. Do any of you know any tricks? I tried putting the wings in a bath, but that seemed to do the opposite of what I wanted and the heat just transferred to the water and heated up the water. I'd appreciate any tips you all might have. Thank you so much!!!!

0 Likes

Good morning.

Welcome @HeatherJeanCreations. Can't really visualize your problem. Maybe a pic? In any event, soldering a thin strip of silver to 18ga copper will be tricky.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.