Looking for Envelope Scans and Opinions

Hello! I've lately come into a bunch of fabulous patterns without envelopes. They're all uncut with instructions and I really want to try to sell them so I've been making reproductions of the envelopes. That's how I originally found the Wiki. It took me a while to figure out that it was sellers who were posting scans there and that the images weren't just public domain. So I started asking permission to borrow when I could figure out who the images belonged to. Generally people have been gracious about it, one seller didn't respond but I don't blame her as it was two pretty rare patterns.

So, I am looking for a front and back scan of McCall's 5371 One Shoulder dress from the 1970's if anyone has such a thing and is willing to share it--I'm glad to give you credit in the listing. Also Simplicity 6019 one shoulder dress from the 1970s, front and back scan.

But I'm also looking for opinions about this. I wonder if it seems a little too over the line? Not sure how to express what I mean, but I guess I wonder if other sellers just think this is rude? I want to sell those patterns, but not enough to offend the sister patternistas!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
16 Replies

Re: Looking for Envelope Scans and Opinions

You plan to sell the patterns with the reproduced envelope included? Interesting idea! :) When I sell / auction patterns minus envelopes I usually just post a link to the envelope in the listing, if I find one someplace on the web or the Wiki. I'm not even sure if adding a repo'd envelope would add very much to the value of the pattern. That would be something I'd be curious about. I've found lacking an envelope to detract maybe 20%-40% off final value at auction depending on the rarity of the pattern. Those patterns usually sell to sewers or designers, folks that plan to use the pattern and not collect.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Those are cute. . I think it's a good idea. It won't add any value, but will be a good reference to what the pattern is, and will be appreciated by whoever buys it, but be clear that it is a reproduced picture.
0 Likes

I like the idea! When I sew, I really want to see a color picture of the item. I think just having a reproduced copy of the pattern would make it more attractive to the buyer.
0 Likes

I haven't done many of them but it seems like it really makes a difference just in terms of views. I don' t think it has much value for collectors, but does seem to for sewers who aren't as interested in having the original but need an image and especially need the details from the back of the envelope. A few of these I have are rare, but they are 60's and 70's patterns and don't seem to be really in the collectible category to more than few like me! Two of them are Jiffy patterns, which I LOVE! In fact, I just decided I am going to keep on of them for myself so I can make my own envelope and no one will mind. But I also have several New York Designer Collection patterns I'd like to make envelopes for.

In the case of older haute couture patterns it probably wouldn't add that much to the value--what a great idea to just link to the image! But for me I just have this compulsion, can't bear the pattern not having its envelope, it MUST have its envelope! Or in a case where the pattern isn't of enough interest to me to recreate an envelope, I am collecting them in a box for Pattern Rescue (I have several PR boxes that I am filling up from things that don't go at my shop or incomplete patterns).
0 Likes

Also, I don't make an actual envelope with flaps, I print out a scan of the front and the back at about actual size. I clean up the photos as much as possible, if the size is different I 'erase' the size and replace it with the correct size. I print front and back each on one sheet of 8.5" by 11" and then fold those over the patterns, put them in the clear sleeve and seal it and at a glance it's hard to tell it from the real thing! Even if I never sell them it alleviates the angst it causes me to have a fabulous pattern with no envelope!

I state very clearly in the listing that the envelope is a reproduction and not the original. So far, I think I've only sold two and have listed about five. Money wise it's not really worth all the trouble for most of the patterns I'm dealing with, which still sell at a lower price because they don't have the original envelope, and there's the cost of the printout and the time it takes to make it. This pattern, for instance: http://www.etsy.com/listing/68544285/uncut-vintage-1969-mccalls-flared-dress, won't net me very much but I just felt compelled to do it! Finicky Finds was very kind about letting me use her scan.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

That is a great idea PrettyPatternShop! It would be nice of course to have the original even if it is torn or aged but as person who actually uses most of the ones I purchase I wouldn't mind a print of the original cover at all!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think that's a great idea! I know I would appreciate having the scan -- but than I am a bit obsessed with vintage patterns! :)
0 Likes

Does anyone have a picture of Simplicity 9057 from 1970? It is a Misses Jiffy Dress in Two Lengths and Pants.

I have the pattern, but no envelope. The size I have is a 10.

I would give you credit for the picture.

I have the back of the pattern from when I had this pattern in stock a long time ago, some how I have deleted the front:(

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Thanks!
0 Likes

I have a close up of the front in my sold items and you are welcome to use the photo. I don't know why I only have a close up as I usually also have the full shot as the second photo but you're welcome to it if it helps :)

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/41066266
0 Likes

Thank you very much finickyfinds! I gave you credit for the picture.

I've been hoarding these "naked" patterns and have decided to finally start listing them.
0 Likes
midvalecottage
Inspiration Seeker

This is a discussion I really appreciate. I have accumulated some patterns without envelopes that I have yet to post, just for my puzzlement over the envelope issue. My preference is to find and print an image of the front and back envelope and include with pattern. I agree on stating it is a reproduction of the envelope. And giving credit to the source is more than a courtesy. I didn't realize the images on the Wiki weren't public domain (such a big issue), so thanks for that information!
0 Likes

You're welcome patternshop, I wish it was the full envelope but it's at least something :)

I also have some patterns that I should dig out that have no envelope. Some are uncut and in perfect shape just missing the package. I have to stop picking through and taking out all the best ones in general because I am going to end up with boxes of less than perfect patterns and not know what to do with them all :)
0 Likes

Before they started making changes to the Vintage Patterns Wiki on the front page there was a list of people / sellers that gave permission for you to use their images as long as credit was given, for some reason or another that got removed.

0 Likes

Me again......

Does anyone have a picture of Simplicity 5660 from the 1960's? It is a Misses Jumper or Dress with a Detachable Vestee. I would like the front and back scans so that I may print them to include with the original pattern.

I have 2 of these patterns, but no envelope. The size I have is an 18, but I can edit the size if yours is different.

I will give you credit for the picture.

Any help would be greatly appreciated again:)

Thanks!
0 Likes

That's a snazzy little dress! I don't have that one, but here's a link to a seller who does: http://www.etsy.com/listing/65542233/vintage-1964-simplicity-5660-misses-size. If you are not shy, you could try writing to her. If you do, maybe invite her to the team. It takes me a while to work up my nerve to write to someone and ask, and they are not always willing, but at least you can say you gave it a go!
0 Likes

For Pattern Simplicity 5660 photo Front and back

Look Here http://www.vintagecorepatterns.com/12juorshdrwi.html
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.