vlmkpyae
Community Curator

elusive things we are looking for

ok, thread inspired by margaret that we can all use. let's all be alvin. i waaaant a...

i'll go first. a few of what i call unicorns. the nearly impossible to find madame alexander kins from the early international ones that were honoring the united nations. morocco, peruvian boy, spanish boy, argentine boy. there were counties added later that are not as vintage.

peru 531, tibet, africa, etc. these come in the later series, not current but later. most of these don't show up online at all or they are way too expensive, hence, 'unicorns', lol. 

feel free to list your hard to find wanted items on this thread and we all can group research/hunt. ok? 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
74 Replies

Re: elusive things we are looking for

Yay..... found it! This will be great. Thank you.

1 Like

I am always on the lookout for Little Big books. Vintage/Western

condition ~ interior does not concern me. Exterior ~ hardback and the front cover board needs to be in fairly good vintage condition. I use the cover boards in projects that I make for our B&M shop. And yes, I don't want to see any unless they are inexpensive. ....hopefully.

Thanks so much.

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

pinning this for now. it's a distraction from the serious stuff.

0 Likes

I am always looking for really, really old frosted swirled flame bulbs. The old ones are deeply molded and sometimes in more than one color. Doesn't need to work. I make them into firefly ornaments with those as the base. I've found 4 really neat ones in 10 years! Under $10. There was one listed on eBay for $50- for one! Good luck with that :))

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

eeek!

1 Like

I had to google what the swirled flame bulbs look like.  I have never seen those in real life.  

1 Like

We will all be on the lookout for these items.

well girls and guys. We had a temp of 103-5 here in central Texas yesterday and it looks to get higher in the next few days. ACK, my electric bill is going to be a whopper!

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

my friend near san antonio told me how bad it is and she is dreading her bill too. i am sorry. ouch. and here we are still cold and never even got spring.

good luck. stay hydrated!

1 Like
Abbeyoaks
Conversation Maker

I'm looking for a kids chapter book called Pet of Frankenstein by Mel Gilden. The series is called Fifth Grade Monsters.

1 Like

Quite often I have good luck finding books on AbeBooks website. Good luck.

1 Like
Abbeyoaks
Conversation Maker

Thanks I will check on there. There's one copy listed on Ebay in acceptable, but I've ordered from the company before a book they listed as good and it fell apart, so I'm not sure what they consider acceptable lol

1 Like

Sil  ~ sorry about that. I am going to lookup the 2nd mentioned one again to see if I wrote it down right. @vlmkpyae 

1 Like

Sil, this would be a whole new learning experience for me. My dolls are folk art and artisan made. I started off w/Google ~ guessing there are two plateaus ~ very expensive and seem to be offering dolls from series like Little Women. Usually $100 and up.

2nd group I found are fast food giveaways/Happy Meals? Everything from Peter Pan to Barbie dolls. ? So the ? Is - which am I looking for please?

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

margaret, the 8 inch vintage internationals/foreign lands/storybook from the 60's/70's/80's, in less than perfect condition. can be called alexander kins/wendy/alexkins/8 inch/7 inch/ or combinations of those.

many show up on ebay, often. but we do not have paypal and guest checkout is hit and miss so i don't go to ebay except to cross reference photos. there are actually 4 qualities.

has box/tags/never been breathed on. i can't afford those usually but have gotten good deals a few times. 

played with nicely/usually complete or mostly/clean. i get those usually in the 20 dollar range or lower.

incomplete/played with/barely escaped an unknown horror/ needs restringing/ missing shoes, etc.

usually listed as tlc/for parts/damaged/missing x item of clothing.  

but not dirty! guess who gets these, sometimes by surprise? wink. they are usually 10 or under, depending on seller's desperation.

4th is not worth mentioning. dirty/stained/actually broken. big no. got one once, not doing again! not sold by people with any respect for vintage at all. sad. 

i don't collect boxes, don't care about tags, don't need stands/ and i can restring and fix hair.  i don't do dirty, especially white fabric!

happy meals are 2002 and newer. not them.

1 Like

@vlmkpyae    Hi Sil .~ I still don't have a handle on this, but I have come across a few Etsy shops that might be interesting for you ~ weremberwhen and my motherstreasures.....sure hope they don't think this is spam. Take good care.

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

margaret, thanks. i'll look them up. no, it's never spam to suggest something nice. spam is what the hit and run vote for me posters do. to them it's a game or a contest, not useful information. 

0 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

margaret, i found do you remember when, which is probably the shop you meant. i had to laugh.

she listed 2 nude dolls for 20 for the pair, so 10 each. then she listed the costumes of each for 20 apiece.  think about the math there. she must have been unable to sell each dressed doll at 30, lol. i laugh when i see sellers do that.

it's such an ebay thing.  : )

0 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

margaret, that second shop name comes up with no google results. similar names get me a male antiques dealer and a closed etsy shop. 

0 Likes

Sil ~ the other is an Etsy shop also.MothersMiniTreasues.@vlmkpyae

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

margaret. that was fun. and so was the link on her shop page to the miniature world in b.c.

must be a neat place. 

0 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

another obscure thing. laurel burch indigo cats. the one with the cats and butterflies. not cat heads, cats. blue purple. that one. it's on totebags but i'm not sure they wouldn't look tacky.

i just want a piece of the fabric with the cats, or the greeting card, or a print. the t-shirts on amazon are too expensive and have mixed comments. there is something called dyes and stamps set but i don't think that is the full color art itself. 

anybody have old lb fabric stashed?

0 Likes

What kind of old fabric.  I have 6 totes of fabric that I haven't listed in my other shop yet.

1 Like

Laurel Burch Studio has a website and they are still selling lots of items and some fabrics. @vlmkpyae  

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

mila, it is this one.

https://i.etsystatic.com/icm/79a1e8/269991325/icm_150x150.269991325_27vc0yew63i8cokc08k0.jpg?version...

fabric seller does not have it but knew which it  was. it has been oop a long time, sadly.

@MilaSmilasDogClothes  @collecteddust 

pretty sure the website did not sell clothworks fabrics. otr ran out ages ago as did the other online fabric shops. it's an etsy/ebay only find by now.

i only wanted a little bit of it, not a huge abount. craft project level only not clothing or people quilt sizes. 

it can be found as one spot on the canines and felines panel but to buy a whole big panel just for one bit is excessive as it is not cheap and very rare.

that seller who sent the screenshot said it turns upon ebay with other oop stuff from time to time. ebay, the last bastion of ancient oop fabrics, lol. 

thanks.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.