Artbesico
Conversation Maker

People watching

I had lunch at the restaurant in the superstore today after shopping there, there was this girl working alone at the counter serving a queue of customers. She had to take order, run the cashier, take payment, give change AND also working the coffee macjines, making drinks. Shouldn't that be two people's jobs? I saw toasters and heating machines behind the counter too so if customers order toasted sandwiches etc, that poor girl would also need to do all that too. 

There was a queue of customers waiting patiently, they kept coming so it was non-stop for the girl working on everything. There was this guy supervisor I believe, came walking past her and standing there next to her every few minutes asking if she was ok. He just stood there, never helped. 

I think they are paying one person to do 2 jobs, it's so unfair and so harsh. Bless that girl, she was still having a smile on her face and serving everyone pleasantly. Impressive. I bet she must be exhausted at the end of her shift, with sore feet and sore muscles all over the body.

People watching is fascinating, everyone has a story behind them. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
4 Likes
36 Replies
iDoDiY
Post Crafter

Re: People watching

While I give full kudos to the counter girl, reading what she was doing was making me scream.  Many many moons ago, I went to a counter service restaurant where one person took the money and made the sandwiches.  A month later when I came down with Hepatitis A, the health department traced it back to that restaurant and the practice of handling money and then making sandwiches.  Money is very very dirty and anyone handling it should never handle food  and if they do, plastic gloves are a must.

Having said that, she's a winner.  But the supervisor who stood by and didn't help her is a dud.

1 Like
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

I haven't seen her making sandwiches or toasts, maybe she would put on gloves? I wouldn't know. She was just making coffees, there were 2 coffee machines by the side. 

Sorry you had that experience, that's terrible. It reminds me of some years ago when I was queueing up in a bakery, 2 staff serving behing the counter. One kept licking her fingers before she opened the bag to put the food in. That shouldn't be allowed. 

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

A local grocery store has a deli department where the workers clearly have not been trained in food safety.  I watched one worker, she was wearing gloves, slice various deli meats for another customer.  She weighted, labeled and scanned the meats, then turned to the customer and took her money.  She then gave the customer her change....still wearing the gloves.  Clearly this worker believes that the gloves she wears are for her own protection lol. 

2 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

"Clearly this worker believes that the gloves she wears are for her protection" . . . LOL you probably are right 

1 Like
iDoDiY
Post Crafter

Even though I got sick, your finger licking bakery girl would have made me run. lolol.  I've turned into a germaphobe and that would have sent me running.

Sorry for the italics above.  I'm still learning the "new" ways.

1 Like
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

I didn't run cos I was hoping that the other one would serve me when it was my turn getting up there LOL but that would've been lucky so no it was the licking finger girl serving me. 

0 Likes
iDoDiY
Post Crafter

Hey, am I seeing things? Did the font just change from almost gray to actually readable????

0 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

It DID =D I saw THAT and I thought whoa who turned on the light LOL

I wasn't sure if it just happened but I was so excited that I went to post about it on the main forum ^^

0 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

I feel sorry for that girl at the restaurant.

I've seen many stores where there are 5 checkout lanes and only 1 person working them.

Every time I go to this one particular store that has bargains, it's similar. Just 1 cashier to a line of 20 people.

At that point, I go and knock on the door of the superviors office and say loudly that they need to get another cashier out here cause the line is too long. They then will send someone out.

I know that some people may say that's obnoxious of me, but i feel sorry for the poor cashier.

I've been a cashier in my life and it's a very stressful job with low pay.

2 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

That's why I talked to the girl for a bit, made sure she knew some of the customers know how unfair that was for her and that we appreciated her hard work =]

1 Like
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

It is inconceivable the saving expenses policies some stores have nowadays.

How business sacrify efficiency to cut employees and save salaries / benefits, so on.

0 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

That's what I was thinking too SwissZahlerArt, the queue was getting longer.

0 Likes

I'm also a germaphobe these days, especially during flu season.   The server licking her fingers would have sent me right over the edge!  Yuck!

0 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

I've seen some cashiers at the supermarkets do that too, some people have a habit of licking their fingers to open carrier bags. At work some people do that too flipping through paperwork. 

0 Likes
BreezeOnTheLake
Conversation Maker

I feel sorry for that girl being expected to do everything.

Many years back in my younger days, I worked retail, and in many of my workplaces we were expected to do many things all at once. In one shop I worked in, I was often the only person working there alone and was expected to ring up people's purchases, WRAP them if they wanted gift wrapping - while also having to interupt my wrapping to ring up the register on another person's purchase.....while the person wanting the gift wrapping was getting impatient for me to finish wrapping it.....help with another person's questions about items, and also take stock checks around the store, and go to the storeroom down in the basement -- leaving the shop unmanned! -- to get new stock.

Not surprisingly in all this, some kid came in and stole some expensive stock from the back of the glass display counter while I wasn't (ie, wasn't able to be!) looking for thieves at work too! I got a lecture about "multi-tasking," and the losses had to come out of my wages, which were already miniscule.

At another similar small shop, I was also the only person there. The owner was upstairs in the office and showed irritation and resentment just for my closing the shop to take my hour lunchbreak. If I ate my food up in the office he was really passive aggressive about the fact that we were closed for an hour, like he's losing all that business just because the law says I'm entitled to my hour! He wished he could just break the law by not letting me break for lunch at all.

I ended up going outside for my lunch, but because I couldn't afford sit-down places, I just brought my own sandwich and went and sat by the canal for an hour in the freezing cold, because I couldn't stand being around my boss for an hour I was entitled to close for my lunch.

Retail work is horrible. My soul died a thousands deaths in that part of my life.

2 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

I'm so sorry Breeze, that is heartbreaking, it all sounds so terribly wrong and horrible = {  

Today when I was watching this girl working her non-stop tasks, I was thinking how could the bosses not feel bad about it and let this happen. They should at least pay her fair, for doing jobs that should really be handled by 2 people. 

1 Like
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

I did not imagine that labor situation  happens  in UK too...

0 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

When  are  the  employees   abuses  going  to stop???????????????????

So, I was a super fair boss when I had my mortar and brick stores (art galleries, antique stores, school supplies, boutique, shoe store, cafeteria).

all the employees had benefits

paid vacation - vacation was always Easter week and Christmas + New Year week

their  lunch hour and coffee break

break / locket room

all the neccessary material to work including paper pads and pens

in the boutiques and art galleries, the employees got 1% commission of whatever they sold

eventually, there was a new benefit:  every mother with kids 10 years old and younger

got a free gallon of milk every pay day (suggestion from an exboyfriend)

One of the employees lived too far away, I always gave her off the day before and the day

after Mother's Day, so she could visit her mother.

2 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

That's very kind and considerate of you, a proper boss =] taking care of staff

Most companies don't look after their employees, they try to pay you as little as they can get away with, keeping the profit to invest in their business instead. Most bosses think they can replace anyone, if you are not happy then they don't care you go and they will just get someone else in, with same or lower pay = (

0 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

I forgot to mention, there were cleaning ladies at the stores.

They went store per store doing the cleaning and they got benefits too.

Old ladies, generally widow happy to work because there were companies

which considered them obsolete to work...

0 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

There was a cleaner couple working in one of the companies, the guy was 75 I believe, they were happy to have a job going in for a few hours every morning. They started very early before everyone else went in to start work and they finished early, they did a good job too.

0 Likes

Reminds me of every waitressing job I ever had. There's always so much to do and rarely do you get breaks (unless you happened to smoke of course).

Don't even get me started on my job as a hotel chambermaid. That was tough.

1 Like
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

At one workplace, the smokers went outside to smoke like every 2 hours and some of them gathered together to take the break so they would stay outside for at least 20 mins each break. It was so unfair that the management has agreed to give the non-smokers half a day off every month. We could choose which day of the week to take the half day off, it was good.

0 Likes

It's amazing she still had a smile on her face. I'm still often surprised and annoyed at the grocery stores I go to now, because of the insane under-staffing. There are at least 7-8 checkout lanes, and usually a maximum of 3 will be staffed. When I worked as a grocery store cashier, 17 years ago (whoa, I did not realize how long ago it was!), if there was a line of more than 3-4 people at most or all lanes, another would open (there was always a person doing "breaks", so they would of course cover the breaks but also collect the baskets, return grocery items when the grocery people didn't respond, and then cover a lane if it got super busy). If we went slowly, we got cr*p from the horrible managers. And we bagged everything ourselves. 

Now, I go at 6 pm, it's packed in the store, and still only 3 lanes open! And the cashiers go as slow as they want, no hussle, and they don't bag (which is fine by me because I learned how to bag properly and prefer to do my own). But man, do I ever feel like a hunchbacked old lady at grocery stores, thinking all this, "back in my day"...

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.