It seems like there should be a single thread where team members could just gather and catch up with eachother about nothing in particular.  It's nice to have other threads to discuss a particular topic, but would also be nice to have a thread where you could go to see who's around at that moment.

You know, like a never-ending, continuously running thread.

Thoughts?

Re: Nothing in Particular Thread

Jump to solution

Sill thank you so much for providing this link. I didn't know about the strike. And every word written was very well stated.

I just got off Vaca mode this past Friday. The fees were killing me and there were very few sales to help compensate let alone make a profit. But maybe I should go back in Vaca mode and let my voice be heard also. 

Don't be surprised if this link disappears by morning.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
psych62
Community Curator

Jump to solution

I read the 'Strike' thread in the forum. I think it is foolish. Etsy won't care. And as a buyer, I'm going to continue to shop. I won't punish sellers. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@psych62 

Where in the forum? I looked but can't find it. Thanks much.

1 Like

Jump to solution

I think what we are seeing here is an example of how 'Unions' have gotten started over the years. Decades of similar 'protests' against companies dating back to the 1920's have often times resulted in Unions...some not. Unfortunately, this last decade there has been a lot of energies exhibited to try and get rid of Unions also.

Today if pressure is mounting on a company most will go ahead and start offering better benefits and wages to avoid these types of confrontations and bad publicity toward their company. And after all, isn't that what the main reason for protesting is all about. A company would rather lose a little in their profit margin with those things than risk losing booko bucks with possible employee walk-outs, picket lines, bad publicity with press, etc..

All in all I think a lot of the small time Sellers here will rise to the occasion on principle alone. Kinda like feeling their voices are being heard...even when they are not. Being a very small Seller myself I know they are trying to get me oughtta here! They want the big buck Sellers to keep providing that bottom line for them (like Re-Sellers). 

The impact will be minimal I'm sure. If this protest had made National News that would be a whole different can of worms. But like I said, sometimes we just need to feel our voices are being heard even when not. And sometimes the 'principle' of something is worth losing a few bucks by posting a 'Gone Fishing' sign on your shop's front door. 

Just my 2 cents. 

1 Like
Abbeyoaks
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
2 Likes

Jump to solution

Thanks so much Abbey...

Interesting. I'm amazed E is allowing the thread to continue. They're probably gonna let folks vent (again) and then delete or move the thread to the back of the line.

And who in their right mind is gonna post that they plan to join the protest??? Repercussions would be a &itch!

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

Jump to solution

that link now gets access denied error. looks like they got scared, lol.

0 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I think encouraging buyers to boycott is not a good idea. i need the sales as most of us do.

1 Like
psych62
Community Curator

Jump to solution

SewSister, I don't think Etsy is going to delete that thread. It will bury itself after the so-called "strike" ends. And anybody who participates will realize how foolish they were when there is no terms/policy change. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I agree Lion. Encouraging Buyers (Sellers)  to boycott is almost a certain death for a shop. Look...I am p*issed too with this newest increase in profit for E (along with another string of increased profits for them). I can see closing down for a day on principle alone. But let's get real here. It is like an ant going up against an anteater...what are the odds that ant is gonna survive? 

Like I said above if this had gotten National coverage with their support it might have been more effective. But as it stands right now it's the seller who will loose the bucks...not E. What a pity.

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

Jump to solution
2 Likes

Jump to solution

So darn cute Sill. Love the Dutch little people a lot! Thanks so much for sharing your talent.

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

Jump to solution

glad you like it, mary. i just cobble things together. i have not sewed anything in ages. only thing i did was restring/rewig the blonde girl. she was a modern vintage brunette with a bad wig.  her costume was made in england in the 50's for a tourist doll. i got lucky in that the wooden clogs fit newer, not older, alexander feets.

the boy is just a standard 1973 dutch boy.

your stitching really is impressive, seriously. :  )

1 Like

Jump to solution

Aw shucks Sill...thanks so much for the compliment

1 Like
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I won't be joining the boycott. One seller mentioned it's like marching up and down your own driveway with a picket sign. I found that both funny and on point. (I gave you a shout-out over there too @SewNSewSister .)  As I responded to that thread a few days ago, I have bills to pay.  I also don't understand what they expect to come out of it. Saying they'll boycott for a week reminds me of when I was little and told my brother I wouldn't speak to him for the rest of the day. If everything goes back to normal after that, why would E make any changes? My brother didn't.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Thanks much for the shout out Giel. Gotta admit...I am still surprised E is letting that thread continue. By now they would have deleted it or moved it so far back nobody would see it.

Well, at the least they are letting us vent into submission again which is their way of 'playing fair' while getting their own way. Good grief.

2 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

Jump to solution
1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

Jump to solution

'

2022-03-31 17:36:57 -0400

20,000 signatures reached'

0 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

Jump to solution

'

of 40,000 signatures'  just now.
0 Likes
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I've actually become very jaded when it comes to online petitions. There are so many them floating around for so many different causes and they're way too easy to "sign."

2 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

Jump to solution

i just convoed a brand new seller for 3 reasons. 1. i could not find the right way to report them. 2. they had 2 listings transposed.  3. they are trying to get bluebook prices with one photo each, no shop info, no terms, and they are abusing the personalization option. they have written, give me your email and i'll let you know exactly when i'll be shipping your order. as if! i warned them that doing that is not how it works, it is a tos violation, to check their seller handbook, to get some shop info listed, and that the are trying to get bluebook prices for common vintage dolls without tags or boxes or info. it looks like an estate sale and if it's personal then condolences. i told them i was trying to help because they are new.

quite frankly every alarm bell went off in my head. who comes to etsy and tries to sell anything used for triple digits with 0 sales, 0 feedback, and absolutely no shop info? i mean how? they can't be coming from ebay because that requires info and they can't ask buyers for their emails on listings there. i did explain personalization is for things like engraving a name on something.

my question is why does etsy not cover other reasons to report a shop like tos violations? i mean it is vintage so i couldn't use not vintage. they don't have the option to report misuse of listings as a choice to report. why not? any opinions? you don't ask 350 for a doll with one photo and no shop rep, no shop info, nothing... something is not right.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Could be a new shop Sill. Maybe. But is does smell fishy to me also. But in re to 'bluebook pricing' a seller can put any price they want on what they sell. I've seen shops like this also. To me it is Red Flag Territory.

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

Jump to solution

mary, she turns out to be friendly. i'm trying to help. she has noooo clue what to do. she did not know not to ask for an email for contact. i explained the convo system. and how she has to have shipping terms of some kind, and a returns policy either way or she will just be under whatever etsy has and i don't know it because i'm not a seller. i told her to research what she is selling. she has boxes but did not note this. i told her there are dolls sitting unbought for over 3 years here because the sellers wants too much. anyway, i offered to help give info as i can find it. i think she's legit but lost, at least so far. lucky me...

1 Like

Jump to solution

I see the Strike thread has been taken down. Even in my Notification Feed I no longer have updates I received past couple days. Deleted. I will say it again...I'm surprised E left the thread open for as long as they did. Let's see how next week spins out. Hope I'll see some buyers. 

1 Like
psych62
Community Curator

Jump to solution

I'm surprised they took it down. As I said earlier, it would have buried itself after the strike. Maybe Etsy is indeed nervous? They've been known to close up long threads, saying "run its course" but not completely removed.........

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.