Former_Member
Not applicable

More changes from Etsy!

Or is this a test? Descriptions for items in my shop are now located to the side of the photo. Is this a good change?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
28 Replies

Re: More changes from Etsy!

I noticed this yesterday afternoon. Many were not seeing it yet, so I assume it is a test. I am so accustomed to having the description directly under the photos, that it was very jarring to me. I mean, most of us start on the left and then look right. I feel the item page now looks awkward and unfinished. And then not having a noticeable link to the shop itself? 

What is the use of Etsy Plus if a customer never sees your shop?

2 Likes
frighten
Conversation Maker

Must be a test because I saw it the old way until i opened another private tab and then I saw what you were talking about. Seems a bit awkward. I see that some people are also seeing another listing format with a lot of blank space so they may be testing more than one different layout. 

1 Like
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

I see this, too, and I'm not crazy about it.  It's hard enough to get anyone to read the descriptions at all, but moving them where nobody expects them to be makes it that much harder IMHO.

Just once I'd like to see a change that benefits the sellers, I don't think that's asking too much, or is it?

Best wishes,

3 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My is still as it was, no testing here...yet.  Can someone take a screen shot and post the new change

??

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

@Former_Member  @BramblyWoods I have never taken a screen shot, not sure how to do it! Not up with the tech knowledge.

Haven't decided if I like the change of not. We do read from left to right, so the first you "read" is the photo then theinformation to the right of the photo. I do not like the shops name is faded small letters!

2 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My shop name is in the small gray letters, too.  I'm not liking that too much.

2 Likes
frighten
Conversation Maker

I am at my wits end with Etsy right now. I'm doing my taxes and see that the graph for June's income and fees is completely wrong. Checked the main forum and see that this issue was reported months and months ago and there are several posts regarding this issue. But yeah, keep spending time and resources testing out different listing formats. 

1 Like
frighten
Conversation Maker

Apparently the graphs for June and December of 2018 are incorrect so you have to download the CSV and add it up manually. I wish I could curse here without being bleeped. 

1 Like
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

You mean like this: %^&*($@@%^&*))**^^!!!!!

Best wishes,

2 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

@frighten  The graphs for my sales also do not add up! I keep a hard copy of my sales and expenses, so that is what I use for taxes. My small shop doesn't earn enough for a 1099 from Etsy. I print a copy of my sales, I know a bit overboard, but....and I have all my receipts, enter everything in a Columnar Pad. Guess I'm old school in a lot of ways. Hard to change some ways at 81 years old!!

3 Likes
frighten
Conversation Maker

@Former_Member What I wound up doing was downloading the csv for each month, opening it with a spreadsheet and then adding up the column for fees there. Before they started deducting all fees, there were some payments that I had to work around. I just added up everything with a (-) in front of it. I still have to deduct all my paypal fees.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up.  I just looked at my shop and my descriptions are also out at the side.  I don't like the way my materials list is abbreviated so that the customers have to click on "More" to see the whole thing.  However, my "you may also like" at the bottom of the page only has my stuff! (Woohoo!)  Also, the grayed out shop name makes no sense whatsoever.

I think that the programmers at Etsy are being pressured to make constant changes or they will lose their jobs.  My ex-husband had a similar situation at his job.  The supervisors were constantly pressured to make changes, so sometimes they just moved everybody's desks around just so they could say they changed something!

3 Likes
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

I'm not crazy about it either.  I'm also not crazy about how large the listing photos have grown.  It feels like items are right in my face now.  My feeling about tech people is the same as I've heard Judge Judy say about some of the people on her show.  "If you still had to shovel coal to keep warm, you wouldn't have so much time on your hands!"

I also agree with Frighten.  I would be nice if they spent their "extra" time fixing things that are actually broken.

3 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

LOL!  I love that one, I'll definitely be borrowing it.  Judge Judy is so cool, she tells it like it is.  I wonder what she'd have to say about Etsy?

Best wishes,

2 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

there are several threads complaining about this on the various fora. most people hate the awful new display, a few people hope it's a fluke or test, and there's always that one... poster who likes it and chides everybody else. then there are those who don't even see it! it's not browser specific nor device specific. it's as annoying to me on a pc as it is for some on teeny tiny mobile thingys of various cutesy names. it looks bad and makes shopping yucky.

2 Likes

Honestly?  I think half (of not more than half) of the reason for the new forums was so they could do their tests (and changes) without whatever they've changed becoming a huge, visible uproar on the forums. 

4 Likes

I agree....

1 Like

During my personal searches yesterday ALL items I opted to click on for the additional information had the larger photo(s) with description on the right. At first I wondered why as I scrolled down nothing was happening, until I realized description on the right was scrolling down. Still had to click 'more' on a few items. I found it annoying to not be able to read description that 'fits' (then there's the 'more' option) without having to scroll. Guess my brain likes seeing a 'fixed' paragraph & not moving words.

Or maybe the idea is to copy ebay to the extent that Shop Owners will simply say "see photos for description of the item".

1 Like
anythinggoeshere
Conversation Maker

Is this a test?  I am not seeing it in my shop or when I search which usually means it is a test.  

1 Like

Normally i dont care much about the listing changes they make but although your listings look normal to me, cause Im in a different country, they are still fiddling around with the listing presentation here and this time I dont like it and I would really appreciate it if they gave the constant changes a rest..its getting real old, even for me.  Ebay hasnt changed much in years...that part of eBay they do not care to emulate.

2 Likes
SwissZahlerArt
Community Curator

I am not kidding but I visited few stores and the descriptions are still under the product picture.

1 Like
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

@SwissZahlerArt  On my computer, they're pushed to the right on Chrome, but still under the product picture on Firefox.

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

@GielDesigns. i'm on firefox 60 quantum. they are on the right for me and it looks awful on all display pages.

1 Like
GielDesigns
Conversation Maker

@vlmkpyae  My Firefox is an older version so that's probably why it's showing up the old way.  My Chrome is the latest version and I agree that it looks terrible there.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.