psych62
Community Curator

I'm Pretty Sure My Cat Is Dying

My cat Delilah seems to be losing weight daily. She's eating less and less. I tried the Polly Bird and cat **bleep** toys and they don't seem to perk her up. She's pretty lethargic. My husband has been force feeding her this high calorie, nutrient dense gel the vet gave us before her brother died, but I don't think it's helping much. She barely keeps her eyes open most of the time. Thankfully she is drinking water and using the litterbox but so did her brother, up until the end. What more can I say? My husband and I are both extremely sad and are pretty sure that we are going to wake up one morning pretty soon and find her unresponsive. I do believe animals can die of a broken heart. My brother-in-law's dog was hit by a car within a month the other one passed on, no known illness. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
119 Replies
psych62
Community Curator

Re: I'm Pretty Sure My Cat Is Dying

As an aside, I have absolutely no idea why catn*p was censored. 

1 Like

I am sooo sorry to hear that.  I, too am very close with my cat.  I cannot advise you, but if I were in that situation, I can tell you I would be adopting a new kitten STAT! It just may pull her back. Probably a kitten of the opposite sex would be better so she is not thinking you are trying to replace her.  That is all I can think of. Let us know how it turns goes.

2 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

yes, animals can pass close to each other the same as some elderly couples do. for right now focus on the fact she is drinking and using the litter box. nutrical is close to a miracle for some cats, especially ones that can't digest regular cat food. catnip should help her appetite if she can eat some. short of anything beyond palliative care there is not a lot you can do except hold her, keep her from getting chilled, and prepare to make her passing as peaceful as possible. option two requires a vet but you already know this. i wish i could tell you differently but in my years doing cat rescue i found they will tell you when it is time or getting close. unless she is a younger cat and you think she may have ingested something toxic, in which case you do need a vet for that. i'm sorry you are going through this. i wish i could see her to tell you more. if she has gone from healthy to this quickly there could be more going on. in any case, try to find some peace and trust yourself to do the best you can. she knows you love her. there is a chance she could pull through. i'll be praying. hugs.

1 Like
psych62
Community Curator

I don't want to put her down. I would like her to pass peacefully in our home.

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

i agree with you. that is always the best way if possible. have you spoken to a vet at all? do you know what her brother passed from? there are more questions than answers. it can be age, accidental poisoning, a disease. i've seen all 3 and it can be hard to tell if you don't know the animal's history. i do know how you feel. i have sat with cats for many hours just rocking them in blankets. sometimes they do pull through and surprise you. i wish i could do more than just words on a forum. i'm sorry.

0 Likes
BigDogLadysJools
Conversation Maker

I agree, I could never have any beloved fur baby put down either. 

Assuming there's no medical reason for her behavior (which should always be ruled out first by a vet) have you tried treats or just spending a bit more time with her?  I'm not saying this would necessarily cure her, but it might make her feel better and if it's psychosomatic in origin this might make a difference.  Sometimes all our fur babies want is a bit more time with us on a regular basis.

As far as the broken heart thing, it's unfortunately very real.  My grandfather passed away a few months after my grandmother died from cancer and there was nothing physically wrong with him. :(

Hope your fur baby is feeling better soon.

Best wishes,

1 Like
frighten
Conversation Maker

I'm so sorry to see this. I know you had thought about bringing another cat into your home since your other one passed. I hope she perks up! I wonder if taking in a healthy foster, as long as you know she doesn't have anything contagious is worth a shot at this point. 

4 Likes

I was wondering about this option as well.   Fostering to see if she improves with another brought in to keep her company may be a good option.  If it doesn't work out, you'll have made no obligation to keep the other cat, but if it does work out you could look at adoption.

2 Likes
psych62
Community Curator

@vlmkpyae The brother died from a severe cold. Maybe pneumonia? He had a slight temperature, lost his appetite, had breathing problem/congestion.

Brought Delilah to the vet about a week ago for a full check-up, the vet said there was nothing physically wrong with her.

@frighten Seriously thinking about another cat at this point. I don't think Delilah is going to protest. 

3 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

that is totally freaky. yes, cats can get pneumonia. if she is flv neg. then yes, get another cat, maybe a foster, to keep her company asap. she truly could be just grieving that badly.

i'm still going to be praying for her to hang on. just keep us updated. thanks.

1 Like
psych62
Community Curator

I will keep everyone updated..............................

4 Likes
vlmkpyae
Community Curator

just to let you know i have a bunch of friends praying for delilah and you.

2 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

So very sorry Psych.

I hope she pulls through. Hugs to you and kitty. 

And yes... if you feel up to it , please keep us updated.

We care. 

3 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

Psych I'm so sorry that you are going through a tough time with your cat Delilah (such a pretty name), please keep us updated. 

Sending positive good vibes and wishes to you and Delilah will be in my thoughts x

2 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

Good morning Psych, how is Delilah today? 

1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Aww, sorry you are going through this.  (((hugs)))

2 Likes

I had a cat do same thing last year.  He liked to go outside.  Had to keep him in.  He passed in his sleep one night on bed I made him.  He couldn't jump to his higher spot anymore.  Just keep taking care of cat the way you are.   So sad.   So hard on their humans too!   

Michele

1 Like

I'm taking care of 30 yr old horse right now   He was down in field last night. Six o clock at night not the time to be lying round in waning sun.    But he got up before the panic set in.   Its so hard to care for elderly pets, but somebody must do this for them   You are that cats angel.

Michele

2 Likes
Lionfishvintage
Conversation Maker

This might sound odd, but how about one of those pet strollers? I wonder if she would like that , you know, just to be with you? 

I remember , years back, when I would see a couple every night take their disabled dog for a ride in a red flyer wagon. Their doggie loved it.

And i saw this nice couple  recently take their senior cat in the pet stroller in the grocery store. It was all covered in see through mesh, so no chance of the cat getting out or another animal getting in.

1 Like
Woodsparkle
Conversation Maker

I'm sorry to hear this. A similar situation happened with a friend of mine a few months ago. One cat passed and the others ( three) were all acting very strangely. One seemed to take it especially hard.

She was pooping all over the house, was withdrawn. destroying things. One of the others wouldn't eat etc. She started them on CBD oil and it seems to be helping to ease the anxiety and the issues have gotten better. It took some time. I hope you can find something that will help!

2 Likes
psych62
Community Curator

I wonder if CBD oil would help with Delilah's appetite?

Today she ate a quarter can of her favorite cat food flavor, cheese. 

Yesterday I woke up and couldn't find her, I was freaking out. Turned out she was sitting behind the bathroom door, which was fully open, next to the toilet. She never sat there before.

In general, she's taken to hanging out in the bathrooms. I think she likes the darkness, and they have wall-to-wall carpeting, which probably feels extra snuggly to her. Most of our place is hardwood.

Every day when I wake up I fear finding her dead. She's very skinny. My husband put a snuggly bathrobe out on the couch and put her there and she slept for several hours, but given her choice she seems to prefer to be in her own world, staring at the pet fountain, hiding in the bathrooms. She's foresaken her own pet bed, which sits on a wicker chair....I think maybe she is too weak to get up there. She doesn't get up on the guest bed or on our bed anymore to sleep. 

0 Likes

Have you thought any more about bringing her in a friend?  Perhaps a foster cat or something to see if she would respond to that?

0 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

So heartbreaking reading this = {  Feel like holding Delilah and comfort her v.v

0 Likes

Try putting bit of warm water in her food.  Sometimes they need it more soupy when they get older.  Make sure she gets as much canfood as she will eat.  My cats ate dry food but the live the can 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.