Reserved Private Listings a Red Flag

I’ve given up. No more reserved, private listings...

In the last two weeks I’ve had three items purchased by buyers they were not intended for despite highlighting the nature of the listings in CAPS in the listing heading and then doing the same right at the beginning of the description.

Is this just another sign of the age of entitlement. They won’t comply with NO??

The re-work is frustrating and time consuming and therefore costly. I was so cranky by the third time that when I processed the refund I withheld $10 for processing and re-listing fees. Nuh uh! Can’t do that, because if you do you then you can’t cancel the sale.

As if we haven’t got enough to contend with lately. I’m really bothered by ‘stuff’ lately. Some people can be so inconsiderate. Or, do they actually believe it will be theirs anyway? What is the mindset?

Rant over.

Melina.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
9 Replies

Re: Reserved Private Listings a Red Flag

You could always use the custom listing function to make the listing only available to the customer it is intended for.  

1 Like

You can change the photos to a generic RESERVED, and change the title to only “Reserved for TE” (or whoever’s initials). Change the description to “As discussed in our private message.” Also, delete the tags. 

4 Likes

That's what I do OVP.  I use my avatar as the photo and put "RESERVED FOR CLIENT - Please do Not Purchase" as the title and item description, then I send a direct link to the client via Etsy convos.

0 Likes

Thank our both very much.

You’ve provided solutions for me (18 months and still learning) and possibly many others I think :-)

Ill get on with it.

Thanks again and bye for now,

Melina.

0 Likes

Yes, others want something others want!  Always set up a custom listing.  That way it is sent privately to the buyer to purchase.  You only pay the listing fee if the buyer goes through with the sale.  

1 Like

I forgot that the custom listings were private. Thanks for the reminder.

0 Likes

Thanks JJJ :-)

Melina

0 Likes

was it the same customer doing it over and over again?  People just don't read, it's annoying but it's just one of those things I guess. I don't think in that situation you could really penalize them by keeping the $10 though, and that might give you even more trouble than your time is worth.  If you don't want to do a private listing or for whatever reason you can't, I usually go on to canva or somewhere like that and use a couple of the free graphics and make a listing photo with clipart and the customers name so theres a smaller likelihood someone is going to buy it...they don't even know what it is.

0 Likes
BlingAndBijou
Conversation Maker

So as a vintage seller, I have never explored the Custom Listing option. How does that work. Sounds like a great solution for if people want you to save something for them.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.