Why did you start your business?

Why did you start your business?

Was it inspiration from a family member who owns their own business? Did you lose your job in this lousy economy and couldn't land another?

Tell us your story on what lead you to choose this path. :)

=====

I'll go first:

I had always wanted to run my own company, following the same steps as folks like Disney and Archie Comics and later on Rumiko Takhashi and Dreamworks were added to my list of inspirations. But I was fed with the notion that starting my own company wasn't possible and my only possibility was to work for these folks, which still wasn't going to be possible. So for a while I gave up. I continued drawing though.

Fast forward some years when I met my current boyfriend, singly THE most ambitious person I have ever met. While everyone else was a lump by comparison, boyfriend quickly picked up on what my skills were and pushed me to make something of myself with said skills. At first I was scared because of all the things I was told about running a business.

He picked up a lot of books and did a lot research, along with me and taught me what he learned. After a while, I started learning that anyone could start a business and it wasn't nearly as scary or difficult as what people made it out to be in the past.

He had the confidence in me that I could do it and I had close friends who enjoyed my comics and made comments like "I have a feeling I'm going to see your stuff on these shelves one day." Finally I went for it. I have my own business (still need to work out some kinks but I know I'll get there real soon). I started off with going back to the craft work I used to do (ie, knitting, sewing, plastic canvas, perler beads, etc) and added on some new things (candles, buttons) to work out the mechanics of a business while I [still] wait for the copyrights to get done and to get stories in place and the art made for actual comics.

Needless to say I'm bloody excited for when I can officially kick my art out officially and start doing shows. :) There is so much to do and it is all an adrenaline rush!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
41 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Why did you start your business?

My story is quite funny. I had asked my fiancé for a famous bracelet and was embarrassed when I found out it was $50. While I understand that the quality may have been a factor, it was something that I admired but could not afford. I decided to create my own version with my on charm ideas and make it available for people like me. I enjoy fashion and accessories but cannot afford an expensive jewelry piece.
0 Likes

I started my business by accident! It all began with a trip to the craft store back in 2006 when I purchased some basic jewelry making supplies. I was instantly hooked and began making things for family and friends. Then I realized I needed to start selling my pieces in order to fund the need to bead. This is where the internet came in handy. I began putting the money back into what was slowly forming into a business. Like Beloved Doll I always wanted to run my own business and this sort of fell in my lap. A perfect fit!
0 Likes

I began my art business as a hobby. I started doing my crafts as a way to generate some money and have fun while I improved on my painting skills. People have not really come through with their requests for my paintings in my area and crafts are easier to sell. Initially I began making keychains and perlers that I would love to own because I could not afford the "real thing" so from there it just took off :) Now I make plugs mostly because I see that so many people out there have empty earholes and that makes me kind of sad. Again, I just make the things that make me happy and hope that they can bring happiness to others as well :D
0 Likes

My best friend is an artist who was a muralist untl she became disabled. She then opened a business on Etsy. She coerced me in to joining her. We had a vintage shop together until I just got too busy with Hooligan Alley to do both. She now has two ventures here on Etsy and I have this one. I never, ever intended to build a business! It was by accident. (happy accident)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I found myself in a toxic work environment and needed some sort of after work hobby. I started making soaps, pouring candles, and bath bombs. It was such a relaxing way to end a stressful day soaking in the tub with my creations. Work got better, but all my goodies remained!

And now here I am!
0 Likes

I've always made crafts and always had selling them in the back of my mind. During my childhood I made woven pot-holders and sold some thru a neighborhood store:) When working I still made stuff and during lay-offs started with a couple of craft shows. Did an organic herb garden for a local chef (hence my business name) and then started concentrating on the "more" part as I found some sources for wool to spin etc. My craft show categories are branching out again with soy candles and wood burning and many other things that I don't have on-line. My business isn't an over-night success but still gradually growing. As to the why, I enjoy the accomplishment of making things and still need an income:)
0 Likes

Love this thread and reading a everyone's stories!

I always wanted to have my own business. From kindergarten, I was always starting one imaginary business to the next. I remember selling sea shells at the beach! My sisters still make fun of me for that one, but hey, I earned my candy money! I remember once my mother got do mad at me the day I took all the food from the pantry and dragged a table outside our front porch across the street from a construction site, selling food and drinks of water to the construction workers.

I opened my first store, a clothing boutique, in NYC at age 27- and it went belly up in less than a year. I got tied up in overhead quickly, and didn't know how to do marketing and promotions at all.

When I sold off all my store fixtures, I noticed how quickly all the mirrors sold. Having dabbled in building alongside my father who restored a 100 year old house in Long Island, NY, I began testing the waters building mirrors by hand. After a lot of time spent building, learning and perfecting the craft, I started selling my mirrors locally in NYC. After a lifetime of searching for my passion, I've finally found my calling.

Not too long ago, I began my Etsy site, the next step in taking things further with my business. My customers have been wonderful, and I've got to work with interior designers too.

I'm still at the beginning of my journey but it's wonderful to see my business grow little by little, and I'm happy.
0 Likes

I have a full time job, but noticed a few years ago that my boss was starting to gear down his practice. Whenever I asked him about it he always said he wasn't planning to retire. About a year ago he finally admitted that he was gearing down, but wouldn't give me a date. As far as I can see, basically I will get no advance notice of it, I'll just find myself out of work one day. So, since I couldn't prepare by looking for another job (not to mention, most places don't want to pay for the experience that comes with someone my age), I decided to start my own business.

I did a lot of research and tried a few things, but I really enjoyed making jewellery. I do mostly wire work and chainmaille - I love the feel of metal, stones and pearls. I also love doing craft shows - it was sort of an ah-ha moment when I did the first one. Starting a shop on Etsy allowed me to reach a larger market without having to travel - my mother is 90 and lives with me - she needs me to be home with her in the evenings.

So I opened SilverFoxDesigns6, in which I sell higher end jewellery and accessories. When I tried to expand and diversify my lines, my views dropped sharply - my established viewers/customers didn't like the new lines. The answer to that little problem was opening CrystalFoxTreasures - the lines are more fun and flirty and also includes tarot readings.

It's a slow process, but both my shops and the craft sales are increasing steadily and hopefully, the boss will hold off retiring until I can make a living doing what I love.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I started my business as therapy. I had a heart attack in Jan 2013 and almost didn't make it. After rehab and gaining some strength I began to paint again.
It was something that I could do without much effort and before long my house was starting to get full of things that I had made. Before my daughter could start calling me a glass hoarder, I decided to open up shop.

My art has given me a reason to get up in the morning and enjoy my life.

0 Likes

I started metal smithing to make magic wands and it evolved into making jewelry too. I love jewelry and making it. Just don't have enough friends to give all the jewelry to, so started selling it first in art shows, then on my own web site (very unsuccessful) and when a friend opened her Etsy store she talked me into it too. The shop profits help pay for my horse and all the lovely vacations we like to take! It also pays for classes to improve my skills. Oh, and hired a house cleaner this year too with the extra.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

In May 2012 I became pregnant, and always had doubts about returning to work after I had the baby because I'm a graduate with a Masters and was working in a sales job. But by November 2012 I was getting very Ill very fast, and with 4 month left to go till baby was due in February, things were getting scary. In the first week of December I was admitted to hospital after having spent most days being monitored. I had developed something rare called HELLP Syndrome and Iwas in multiple organ failure, I was covered in bruising from my blood failing and my baby was starting to suffer. I had an emergency c section 6.22 pm on the 17th of December 2012 just 7 months after conceiving, I delivered a tiny little 3lb 12 oz girl we names Jennifer. This changed EVERYTHING for us. My little fighter did well and was removed from extra help from oxygen within a day. 28 days later we were allowed to bring her home but it was a very hard 28 days back and forward to the special care ward, especially with me recovering too, not only from the section but my body had to try and fix my damaged organs too. The day I got her home I knew I couldn't spend another day away from my miracle baby and could not face going back to my dead end job. I put my notice in as soon as my paid leave ended and that was that. I googled self employment, filled in the forms and used my last pay to invest in stock to start my business, it was almost accidental and not really planned to start the business, I just wanted to do it for fun, but now 5 month later I'm doing ok with it, almost half way to making back my original investment. I've done a few stalls and fairs which could have gone better, I've sold on eBay and ove sold to my local area abd friends. Etsy is the next step for me, a much wider audience to show what I can do. And every single day, I work hard, I look after my now 13 mo th old daughter who is doing great, and every nap time, every bed time or when she has her lunch I'm working hard on items for my stalls or my online sales. I love this . It might not have worked out this was if things had been different with my pregnancy but this, this is perfect right now :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Tina: Your story is almost exactly where I am with soap (only I have yet to sell it). I've recently become obsessed with bath bomb and soap making and have been working on solid bubble bars. I just love bath products and my work atmosphere is quite toxic and it's a great hobby. I may open another Etsy shop some time in the future, mainly just to keep me in supplies though. :D

I had been wanting to improve my drawing skills and specifically focus on digital drawing for awhile. I started in Jan of last year trying to learn photoshop and as I got better I figured I might as well try to sell the things I've been working on anyways. I mainly started just to get a bit of extra motivation to finish projects and keep working on new ones. I've been loving the process so far!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I guess, kind of, because I could. I think I just wanted to see if I could make anything that anyone would make. I've been pleasantly surprised.

At this point, I'd love to make more $$ with it overall. Trying to start advertising. And that's because I'd like to have a job but I am both woefully over- and under-qualified for everything.
0 Likes
Aquaiguana
Inspiration Seeker

I started AquaIguana when I was crocheting and selling things to people at work. They gave me the confidence to finally start selling my items to other people on a larger scale than my current job. My whole life people always said You could sell this. It took some time to get up my confidence but here I am doing what so many told me I could do in the past.
0 Likes

I had hoped to keep working until I was 70. Then my health intervened, a divorce happened, and social security wasn't enough to live off of (since I had spent many years out of the workforce as I stayed home and homeschooled my kids).
When I moved into a small apartment after living in a house for 30 years, I had too much stuff and not enough room. So a friend who was already selling on etsy urged me to get on here and sell my vintage things. I started about eight months ago.
My health still intervenes, and thus I'm not able to put as much into my store as I would like, but I'm having fun and making a little money, so that's good enough for now.
0 Likes
RomaMiaTradingCo
Inspiration Seeker

I've been knitting for 10+ years, and I've had a bunch of people tell me I should sell my stuff. My response was always, "Yeah, ok," than an eye roll. I had my excuses: I don't have the time, people won't by my stuff, etc.

Than I had a bucket full of yarn, just enough time, and a few people asking me if I could make them stuff. I made them their orders, and a co-worker of mine did craft fairs because she makes her own soaps and candles, and even had her own site she sold on. I was like, "I can do that!" So she gave me a link to one of her craft fairs, and I actually sold stuff!

Now here I am. The extra cash is nice, and I get to meet some interesting people.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I started here just over 1 year ago I have been on the internet selling for over 10 years now. I have always sold vintage which is a true passion of mine. I owned and operated my own restaurant ,but when my adult son (27) who is Autistic/blind finished in the school system there was little to be had for programs for him .I made the choice to sell the restaurant and stay home where I created a program for us to do together Swimming outing ect to keep him social and give him days to look forward to. I am not making the money I once did but boy I am so much richer in many other ways Between here and the other E site I am doing O.K. and I am trying to learn as much as possible to grow my shop on here. I learn something new everyday on here and have seen improvement in my views .I love vintage and Love the thrill of finding great treasures. Equally happy to find those treasures new homes
0 Likes

My story is pretty straight forward. I am following what I am passionate about, which is drawing. I went to school to become a graphic designer and learned a lot there about working with clients and managing my time on projects. I wanted to be a graphic designer and work for an agency, but when I took a class on illustration I realized that illustration was what I really wanted to do. Unfortunately, full-time jobs for illustrators are hard to come by. Most illustrators go freelance. I have been freelancing part-time for a couple of years now and slowly working up my name and my business. My etsy shop is simply an extension of that business. I don't think I have a 'knack' for business, but it's something I naturally gravitated towards. I love being my own boss! haha
0 Likes

Art therapy. I was having a rough go of it the year I moved out of my parent's house and right after I did, my then bf broke up with me and it set my spiraling into depression.

I was working at Michaels then, and thought it would be good to find something to occupy myself with so I didn't just sit home in the dark all the time.

I started small, had no clue what I was doing, and started to REALLY enjoy making jewelry.

That breakup ended up being a really awesome thing for me. Go figure!
0 Likes

I'll give you the short answer! I made myself a bunting for our retro teardrop camper...loved it and decided I'd start selling them in my etsy shop. I use to sell vintage. That was in mid July...last summer. My shop has totally morphed in a few short months and it's turned into a more-than-full-time job. I actually quit one of my part time jobs. I've never been happier!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I started creating jewelry after I searched for a an affordable piece to purchase as a gift. Realizing, at that time our local handcrafted market has a lack of quality, affordable pieces. From there, I provided pieces for a friend's shop In CA. Graduated to small fairs, then larger venues. Started on Etsy and now also sell at a B&M gallery.
0 Likes

Deb, I think about my art and what I'm painting before my feet hit the ground!

I do both vintage and art. The slow times for selling art I do more vintage, it works great.

I started because I was already selling dog portraits, and didn't want to work for lawyers anymore. Took the plunge and 3 years later am making more than I did as a legal assistant. It's a lot of work, though.
0 Likes

I started making wire jewellery just as something fun to try out when I happened upon some supplies to give it a try. A few friends asked to pay me to make a necklace for them. One of my gal friends was on a flight and the lady sitting next to her loved her necklace and ended up ordering dozens of necklace and earring sets from 3 provinces away. That is how it became a realization that it could be something to do to earn some extra cash and fulfill my need to create. I found myself in a job which was very unfulfilling, and with my hubby's support and encouragement, it started Wire Expressions as more than a hobby but a business. After having children, my business became more hobby again, but they are getting a bit older and I am finding more time to grow my business once more to a place where I am actually making some money again. The benefit of having my own business! I'm free to be a mom first and take care of the most important things in life first, but still have something that I do for myself.
0 Likes

Mine is pretty simple. i had fallen in love with beads in the 70s. later in the 90s i fell in love with them again. taken to a vintage warehouse by a neighbor i was stunned at all the items i could hand select to make jewelry to my hearts desire. only buying in wholesale lots i had an overflow of supplies. i continue to make jewelry and sell hand selected supplies. Though most of my finished items are on my dot com, i still sell the supplies here. Silversmithing entered in as well as other interests to which i combine it all to make and sell handmade items, most OOAK but some are easily remade from requests and having supplies on hand to do it. its a way of living, and i enjoy the feelings creativity brings and its outcome. ~Peace
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.