Everyone has their own goals of what to do with their business.

Me, personally, I want mine to go full time. It's what I have wanted to do for a long time. I ran the numbers to see what I would have to do in order to make this full time successfully (ie, cover my bills, cover the business bills). They're not accurate, however, as I have not made my calculations factor in things such as etsy fees, taxes, etc. But It's given me a decent idea of where to start. All I have to say is...I have a ways to go before this can go full time for me successfully.

Are you trying to make yours full time or are you wanting to keep it to part time? Have you ran the numbers to see what you have to do in order to make your goals happen?
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Are you trying to make your business full time?

As much as I can , at the same time I'm a full time busy mom :)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Well, I'm mom first at the moment. I have a 7yo and a 3yo. Once the little one is full time in school I will be more "full time".

I'm blessed to have a husband who works so I can stay home. What we would love is for this business to be successful enough that in 6-7 years when he can retire from the military he can actually retire and not have to get another job!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh, I would love for this to turn into full time income. Doing what I love and making money, too. The perfect job!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ah I've been thinking about that! I've been trying to let it grow more organically, and in some ways only pushing as far as I can handle with orders.

A few months into my new shop I'm finally taking it more seriously and really working on my numbers, my costs, and my expenses and revenue.

One day I'd like to take it full time. I've wanted for years to have one of my hobbies turn into a real income. I know realistically i'm some years still from that though. I'd have to increase my total sales revenue by more than 10x's it's current amount! To get there - more advertising, more in stock items, faster production, more variation of items, and eventually higher prices too. Not sure yet if my market is big enough, but I think with some more diversity I could work a livable income in time.
0 Likes

I'd love to be full time. I only work part time in a restaurant, so it's not too bad. But I would love to be able to let that go.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am certainly hoping to go full time. I have everything I need to do it except the customers right now. I've identified a hungry market for my items and I know that I can be successful once my name gets out there. Right now I am spending several hours every night after my regular work day ends, networking and advertising my business as well as working on orders from other sources outside of Etsy. I am still waiting for my Etsy customers!! Where are you all???
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I was looking for a solid part time income, a supplement to my 'day' job. Im already self employed and want to stay that way. My portrait works slowed way down this past couple of years....

Was looking into a part time job...The portraits was part of my income besides wedding/events/ and some graphics work. I only take so many weddings a year, they are Very rigorous work and my body can only take so much. lol

My portraits took such a hit that I started Etsy to balance it. Ive tried every thing under the sun to beef up my portrait business, Ive decided to climb a different mountain! lol Im just still available for those that appreciate professional family photos not the Walmart or iphone pictures for facebook....

I love my mason jars so it works for me! :D

This past three months its been like a full time job, at this point thank goodness the day job is flexible! We'll see if it stays that way...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am full time, between this, my vintage shop and custom orders for a baby boutique, this is what I do and I love it
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'd love too, but about 80% of my sales are AT my day job, lol
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This is what I do full time. Well, etsy and my website, and occasionally ebay and shows/fairs. It has been the full time income for me for two years now, and the full time income for our family of four since my boyfriends unemployment stopped in Dec and he hasn't had any income. It's been, uh, interesting.

During good times, make sure you save as much as you possibly can to make sure that the bad times don't kill you ;0)
0 Likes

I am hoping to have it go full time! I love creating things - always have....even if my shop or products change...my hope for full time remains :) Good luck to you!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I would love to - however, it is difficult in case of knit & crochet items :)
So far, I have my day job, as it is necessary to feed the family :). Perhaps, some time I will be able to have a few creative outlets to be able to make ends meet in a fulfilling way :)
0 Likes

As fate would have it, the idea of my business being full time for me was thrust upon me well before I was ready to. Technically now, my business is full time for me. I am excited for this as now I have the time to concentrate on what I want to do. :)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.