Everyone has their own goals of what to do with their business.

Me, personally, I want mine to go full time. It's what I have wanted to do for a long time. I ran the numbers to see what I would have to do in order to make this full time successfully (ie, cover my bills, cover the business bills). They're not accurate, however, as I have not made my calculations factor in things such as etsy fees, taxes, etc. But It's given me a decent idea of where to start. All I have to say is...I have a ways to go before this can go full time for me successfully.

Are you trying to make yours full time or are you wanting to keep it to part time? Have you ran the numbers to see what you have to do in order to make your goals happen?

Re: Are you trying to make your business full time?

Yes, yes and yes. My goal is to be working for myself full time by the beginning of 2015.

Good luck everyone!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

I definitely want to take my business full time. It's a long term project. Each year I take part in more craft shows and expand my lines in my Etsy shop and increase my income from the business. It won't support me yet, but in time I'm sure I'll reach that point. I'll keep working full time as long as my present boss continues to practice (the longer he keeps going the longer I have to get my business established).
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've always made my living from my sewing machine, but am loving the increased reach of Etsy & would , in an ideal world, sell more of my work this way than via local shops who take their cut of the profit, or to private clients whose consultations & fittings also bite into the profit margins.
So far, so good...but I still have a lot to learn & a long way to go.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I would so love to have this go full-time, but my projections say it's not gonna happen as it's not a steady revenue stream - more like a faucet being turned on and off...and the off is longer than the on. lol. But it will always be one of my income streams - even if its just a trickle ;)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh, I'd like to :))

I'm trying as hard as possible to make the most of the available time - you can't quit your day job until you're not able to make enough (well, you can make a simulation 'cause obviously you can't use all your time, while still having a day job)
But the fiscal burden is horrible here if you are a sole-proprietor-single-person business (if you have a day job AND business, you still pay some security contribution) and knitting, so far, has not proven able to cover all that for me... So I'm trying still :)
0 Likes
Aquaiguana
Inspiration Seeker

I would love for something to move in my shop. Then I could get a target to aim for on weather I can make this at least part time. Full time is a dream of mine and I hope by the end of this year to be able to get steady.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Add me as another one who would love to do this full time. Until then, it's just a hobby!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Like I mentioned in my intro - I would like to turn my shop profitable, so I can support a local / community cause.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I couldn't find a day job so I created this one! "Invention is the mother of necessity"!
0 Likes

I would love to be a full time Vintage and Collectables dealer, nothing would make me happier. I'm just not sure if it is feasible. I have run the numbers and my husband and I have discussed it, now I just have to figure out promoting the shop and getting sales. We will see.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm retired and I do this FULL time. And I love what I'm doing. But the learning process has really taken a toll on my growing my shop. On the other hand, I know that I've learned a lot through mistakes and missteps. So I feel this year will be better.

The nice thing about you working outside of your home and running a small business on the side, is that you have this time to learn about the biz.

Best of Sales to everyone this New Year and those to come.
0 Likes
ClaybyStacia
Inspiration Seeker

This is my full time job (along with selling at craft fairs and a gallery), but only because my husband has a good paying job. My profit is increasing, though, and I'm steadily able to contribute more to the family income. :-)
0 Likes

Right now, I'm a part time potter, part time homemaker. I'd like to go full time eventually, or at least have the option to do so.
0 Likes

I'm so fortunate to have a very supportive husband! He pays the bulk of the bills and allows me to follow my dream! I left one of my part time jobs right before Christmas. It was a huge decision, but I couldn't see having the time to grow my business if I was working full time. I cut my other part time job to one...sometimes two days a week. This has allowed me to focus on my shop...to attempt to push it to the next level. I've never been happier or busier...I love it!
0 Likes

Yes, I would like nothing more than to be able to become a full time soap maker and artist, but to make ends meet and pay the bills I currently have to also work a full time job in addition to all my efforts here on Etsy, my stand alone site, at craft shows, and in wholesale.
0 Likes

Omg..yes! I really do want it to be my full time job. It's a really quiet time for my Etsy shop right now and I want that to change. I can only think this change for the best will happen with new items, a model and a professional photographer.
Fingers crossed I will acheive my goals for 2014.
0 Likes

Although Iove my daily job, I would like to have the success enough here, to quit it.
I started a few time ago wih a jewelry shop here, and as I also love making patchwork items, I've opened my second shop this weekend.

I wish you all a lot of sales, and to set your goals ! :)
0 Likes

I would absolutely adore being able to create and do shows/etc. on a full time basis. However, I am too strapped for cash to really push for that right now.

It's sort of a Catch 22 situation, where I have to work 2 jobs to pay my bills, and therefore can't throw myself headlong into working on my business.

I am in the process of making some changes to see if I can get a little closer to reaching the goal (maybe only work 1 job?)

Do any of you have any experience with business grants/loans that you can share?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This is a hobby for me and I hope to devout more time to it now that I am retired. We will move to a new home in a few months and once settled, it is my goal to expand my selling venue and product line.
0 Likes

Yes!..I would love to do this full time. I am a residential remodeler by trade, and have hopes of retiring into wood working as full time.

It may be a long haul, but I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel...
0 Likes

I would love to grow my shop to include more products and eventually do this full time. Including selling my items in other venues. For now I am very blessed to have a part time job that allows me to work from home and dedicate time to my shop.
0 Likes

Mine is full time for me now after my company closed in May. Paying attention to it as an only source of income, promoting it on social networks, adding direct checkout, and tripling my inventory have added more sales. In the spring I want to add some shows, fairs, flea markets, etc. I also have some stuff on consignment at local shops.
0 Likes

Well, I would love to full time, I have just one week left in my day job. I quit :O

We'll see how it goes. Wish me luck. I MAY just need it X
0 Likes

I have been able to go full time; took an early retirement. I have been wanting to for years so really feel blessed to be able to do that. I certainly look at it differently since it is a serious thing now. Looking at adding more shows and increasing my online sales.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I would love for this to be my full-time job. I'm due with our third child in a month and already have two in school. I'd love to be able to contribute enough to the family income by staying at home so I can be here for my kids.

I am taking my shop in a completely new direction, so I feel like I'm starting over. Originally, I started with a different shop selling hand dyed scarves, but I've since fallen out of love with it so I closed that shop and combined my inventory from both into this shop. I found that I would much rather make and sell natural body products like soaps, scrubs and body butters than scarves.

So I've been doing TONS of research on sourcing supplies, pricing, advertising, etc. As well as working on getting my recipes just right and talking with my insurance agent to make sure my liability insurance is up to date. Once I get things relatively into place, I'm going to look at selling locally as well. I really want this to work!!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.