CopperTreeArt
Inspiration Seeker

Stamping question

I usually only stamp on 24 gauge but would like something with more substance. Will 20 gauge sterling silver be too thick for a stamp impression to turn out well? Thanks! Happy new year!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies
CopperTreeArt
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Stamping question

Also..I bought a 55 lb cast iron anvil from harbor freight. Is this a good thing to stamp on? Is cast iron hard enough or do I really need steel?
0 Likes
Brightsmith
Conversation Maker

Yes, 20 gauge is great for stamping, and iron anvils work just fine (though make sure to keep them clean of rust or they will contaminate your pieces).
0 Likes
CopperTreeArt
Inspiration Seeker

Thank you!
0 Likes
Brightsmith
Conversation Maker

I didn't think of this until after I posted, but if you have a torch, you should anneal the metal before stamping to get a clean impression.
0 Likes
CopperTreeArt
Inspiration Seeker

Yes, I have been! Thanks so much for all your help! Happy new year! Love your work!
0 Likes
Lovethebugs
Inspiration Seeker

I think I have one thing that is stamped and every time I get an order for it I get filled with fear. I don't do much stamping and its intimidating combined with I am not very good at it. I had an order over Christmas, its a 5X1.5MM ring and it needed about 16 characters on it. Those are the orders you send off with a prayer :)

Do you use the 1 hit technique or the many lighter hits while lightly moving the stamp to make sure its crisp on all sides?

I have been polishing my metal before I stamp so I can see the reflection of the stamp to line it up. Its all a learning process for me really. Tommy
0 Likes
CopperTreeArt
Inspiration Seeker

I use the one hit technique with a one pound brass mallet. I always practice my design before doing it on silver! Can be nerve racking though!
0 Likes
ArtandArtisan
Conversation Maker

Make sure the iron anvil doesn't have rough places that will imprint on your silver. I whack on a stainless steel block.
0 Likes
CopperTreeArt
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks!
0 Likes

Like Kendra I hit it once with a brass mallet. If it's a design stamp I typically use the 2lb.

And I practice on copper sheet until I am sure it's going to be right on the sterling. It can be nerve wracking though…. I have had some tight fits and sweated until the last letter was done :)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.