Sending, Packaging Prints Illustrations?

Hi there,

I notice that other illustrators/artists... or people create prints, send their work out in cello envelopes but also have a cardboard backing board in the envelope.

Where do you source this? Is there a name for it? The cardboard backing is what I am searching for.

I know you can get bend proof envelopes, but the card insert I guess is for extra durability...and also easier to remove from cardboard envelopes.

Thanks in advance.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
19 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Sending, Packaging Prints Illustrations?

I just use pieces of cardboard I cut myself. (I also have board-backed envelopes but these are not stiff enough on their own) Another illustrator I know buys cardboard in bulk and then cuts that down to her standard sizes.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think it would be great to scope out the supermarkets for their empty cardboard boxes. What a great way to re-use them!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I use recycled cardboard as much as possible. I save anything I can fine and also reuse the cardboard backing my prints come with when sent to me from the printer, as well as the cardboard backing on sketch pads.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I sent a print through international mail packed in a bubble envelope and cardboard inside. The customer complained that it didn't "fare well". So I'm interested in finding something better for next time. Any ideas?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

If you are putting a print in between two pieces of cardboard, make sure the cardboard pieces are going different directions - you know how it has lines going up and down? Make sure one is vertical and the other is horizontal. This will prevent bending. I would recommend looking into rigid mailers though - the extra layer of strength can be helpful.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

You can search them by "backing board"... but I think cardboard can be just as good.

http://www.goldenstateart.com/8x10-backing-board-p-387.html

BTW... I read some flat mailers are very sturdy so they don't need cardboard, someone here has used them?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I usually wedge my prints in between two pieces of cardboard or matt board just to be safe - but one time I was out and sent it in just a rigid mailer and it got there just fine. Make sure you have FRAGILE DO NOT BEND stickers all over it and be prepared to refund/second another if it does get damaged.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Where do you buy your mailers?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

uline.com and royalmailers.com offer rigid mailers at bulk pricing. i do believe if you want to get smaller amounts you can get them from etsy sellers here.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Are flat mailers better than cardboard tubes? I'm planning to sell some prints (A4 or letter size) and I don't have experience in packaging them.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It really depends on the size of the print. I find that buyers like flat mailers so that the print arrives in good condition and ready to frame. Cardboard tubes are a much better option for larger prints - but can be used for A4 size as well. I chose flat mailers because I have received both kind and preferred it flat - but I would recommend pricing both ways out (in supplies and shipping cost) and then weighing in your preference.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I use the rigid mailers (uline) and a backing board on the print inside the cello bag (the backing board is acid-free - from clearbags.com), then I put one piece of cardboard in the envelope (against the front of the print) and seal it all up. That way, the print is sandwiched between the cardboard and the backing board and I've never had even one corner get bent during shipping (I've sold a lot more on other sites in the past besides etsy, so I've mailed quite a few this way! lol). The backing board keeps the print nice & protected inside the clear bag even after the customer has removed it from the envelope (till they frame it).
0 Likes
frighten
Conversation Maker

I get my packing materials from clearbags.com

They have this handy guide for sizes. There are different qualities of materials, which is reflected in the price. Also, the more you buy, the cheaper the shipping, so it can be better to buy in bulk.

http://www.clearbags.com/photo-sizes
0 Likes

Thanks everyone for your feedback...unfortunately I am in Australia so with shipping etc it wouldn't be worth it, plus I doubt they will send to Australia anyway.

But it gives me a good idea, of what to ask for.

Thanks so much!
0 Likes
frighten
Conversation Maker

You can find cellophane here on Etsy, most likely that will ship to your location, but I'm not sure about the backing. The place I have bought mats from on here only ships within the U.S.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Do you have an art supply store near you honeycup? I buy large mat boards and cut them myself! As for cellophane sleeves - definitely look on etsy, there might be a seller that buys them in bulk and then can pass that discount along to you. I just bought some this week from a seller here because I only needed a few of a certain size.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I get large offcuts of mat board for a very reasonable price from my local picture framer - much cheaper than buying whole sheets :)
0 Likes

I use recycled cardboard. Why pay for shipping supplies if you can get them for free.
Recycling is always good.
0 Likes

Clear bags is great, but they also have a min order of $40. I believe dick blick also has some of the celo envelopes now. I noticed some at one of their larger stores. Check etsy too and see if there's anyone is AUS.

I use recycled cardboard for mailing and nicer backing boards for displaying prints at shows. If I'm out and in a pinch I get tagboard from blick and cut it down for backing.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.