Former_Member
Not applicable

New Torch

Does anyone have any advice on buying a new soldering torch for my jewellery bench to replace the handheld one I've been using?

thank you I don't know where to start.... I've heard that oxyceteline ones are good but i don't' know where to start with buying them or the gas or what to look for.

thank you

Nu
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
8 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: New Torch

By handheld do you mean a small butane torch? Why do you want to replace it?

It all depends upon your needs. How much soldering you do. What size objects you are trying to solder. Where you plan to keep the torch and fuel.

If you can provide some more details than I and others can give you more helpful recommendations.
0 Likes

As you are in the UK how about a Sievert, or ez torch, they are both propane only so easy to source gas and you wouldn't have to worry about oxygen, I know there are others but can't think of them off the top of my head.

I think Cooksongold carry the Sievert, and I know Sutton tools has the ez if you wanted to check out the prices, there are also youtube vids about them both.

As Dara says above it does depend on what you intend to do as to whether it's really necessary to move on from the one you have, plus how much you want to spend. Have you been using the little microflame butane one or the max flame? The max flame did me great up until I started casting.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi,

Yeah I'm in the UK. I use my butane torch everyday.... it only cost me £30 and while it is refillable the lighting mechanism has gone and so it's needing to be lit by a lighter each time.

I think I'm using the max flame but it's not providing enough heat at the moment as i've noticed that when making settings they are taking longer to heat and the solder to run.

do you think I'm better off getting a new butane?

thank you so much for your help

Nu x
0 Likes

Oxy/acetylene flame is very bright, i can't look at it and with dark glasses i can't see what I'm doing. Acetylene by itself might not be hot enough for certain jobs. I use Oxy/propane fuel with a old Hoke torch with the adapter kit (a set of teeny tiny tips). If i ever buy a new torch i will buy a meco midget.

Many people use a smith little torch, i had two and sold them both. I didn't like how small it is and the handle did get warm - just wasn't comfortable with that warm handle.
0 Likes

I used oxy/acetylene for casting in class, but air/acetylene for everything else. I understand you can cast with air acetylene as well (hope so, because I bought casting equipment & don't have an oxy/acetylene torch). The air/acetylene seems to get plenty hot.
0 Likes

I could be wrong, but the jewellers torches I have come across, besides the handheld butane ones, have been oxy/propane, using 2 tanks or just propane with airflow adjusted on the torch itself, perhaps it's a UK thing?

Acetylene seems to be reserved more for large workshops. The only oxy/acetylene torch I've experience with was cutting metal in a foundry.

The other issue with acetylene over here is sourcing it could be a headache, and oxygen tanks too whereas propane is widely available. Not sure where your home insurance would stand either having oxy/acetylene in the house, that is of course only if you are working at home.

Fionnghuala, if you are just doing small pieces I think I would stick to a butane, sounds like the adjustment slider on the side of your max flame may be stuck on low, so if you can't fix it a new one may be in order. But if you want to experiment with techniques such as fusing copper or brass, and casting, then I would go ahead and have a peek at the two torches I mentioned in my first post. Hope that helps.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm in the US so not familiar with what kinds of torches are available in the UK. I use a propane/air torch as I'm not comfortable keeping an acetylene tank in my home. The propane works quite well for me. I never was able to accomplish much with the small butane torches but that's probably because I learned on an acetylene torch.

That said, if the butane torch is working well for you it might make sense for you to just purchase a new one. Sounds like your old one has reached its useful lifespan. Best of luck to you!
0 Likes
Brightsmith
Conversation Maker

If you've never used a larger torch, I would suggest trying out different torches first. You may find you don't have as much use for a larger torch as you think you might. I rarely use anything larger than my micro-torch because the oxy ones are so cumbersome. I ended up getting a large, cheap plumber's torch (propane) for when I have to heat larger items.

I lit my micro-torch with a hand-held striker for years after the built-in striker wore out, and despite this, I was still hesitant to replace my micro-torch! Keep in mind that, if you switch to an oxy torch, you will always have to light with a separate handheld striker.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.